PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on DDM4?

Devildawg2531
09-04-11, 23:45
Thanks to a lot of reserach on this site I am ready topull the trigger on my DDM4 for HD, 3 gun, etc. LMT was my runner up but decided I didn't need the barrel change option, extra weight or extra $$$ spent. I have settled on the DDM4 V3 (prefererrably LW as that saves 6 oz). I have found this at Clydes for $1179. Anyone know of a better deal - ready to order now. Thanks

http://clydearmory.com/firearms/rifles/daniel-defense.html

eo500
09-04-11, 23:53
Pull the trigger on that deal. I don't think you'll find a better deal on a great rifle.

BountyXP
09-05-11, 02:26
PM sent... ;)

aziator
09-05-11, 06:09
That is a pretty dang good price. My wife's gun has a 14.5" LW DD barrel pinned with the mount for her M41000 and she loves it. I think I am just going to SBR it for her and do a MK18.

duece71
09-05-11, 07:17
I have the DDM4V3 regular midlength and paid almost $1400 for it. I say go for it. I would have gone the LW if I had known.

GG Asian
09-05-11, 08:03
You should email Rainier Arms with the link and price of that DDM4 and ask if they can beat that price. They most likely will :)

aiko
09-05-11, 12:35
I paid $1299 for my DD flat top carbine, sounds like a good price.

Ironbutt
09-05-11, 13:21
Jump on that! I have almost that much in my DDM4 V3 upper/PSA lower with Magpul furniture build.

Sanpete
09-05-11, 15:57
I know they come with a rail and MOE stock and such, but I think Daniel Defense rifles are pretty overpriced in general. I wouldn't do it.

aziator
09-05-11, 16:14
I know they come with a rail and MOE stock and such, but I think Daniel Defense rifles are pretty overpriced in general. I wouldn't do it.

So what would you recommend?

Iraqgunz
09-05-11, 16:19
What is your reasoning for that?

BountyXP
09-05-11, 16:36

Beat me to it IG...interested to know what the factual circumstances would be that make a DD rifle with the features it possesses "overpriced" at just over $1000?

fdxpilot
09-05-11, 16:40

Gee, their DDXV basic Carbine can usually be found for under $1000. The more expensive models all have expensive DD rail systems. Of course all have FH barrels, which usually run $50-100 extra on other rifles. I can't see them as overpriced, unless you are comparing them to bottom of the line S&W, or worse, Bushy or DPMS junk.

avengd7x
09-05-11, 16:48

I disagree, when you buy a complete DD rifle like this you get quite a package.

They include the rear DD fixed sight, a hard case, 1 pmag, a vertical foregrip, 3 rail ladders, a rear QD attachment point, a CHF barrel, and great customer support.

aziator
09-05-11, 16:53
Probably the best customer support in the business. You really can't compare their rifles to Bushy/DPMS or any of that other low end stuff.

You will be hard pressed to find more bang for the buck than a DD rifle. If you could just see the amount of research that goes into making the barrels you would be amazed. They have amazing quality control measures put into place to ensure that only the best leaves the factory. If you order a MK18 upper, you are getting the exact same upper that our SOF guys are using over here.

DeltaSierra
09-05-11, 16:56
I think Daniel Defense rifles are pretty overpriced in general.

What is your definition of overpriced? If it is more than you think it is worth?
Does the quality of the rifle have anything to do with your opinion, or are your looking at it from the perspective that you can get a DPMS for $700?

Daniel Defense is one of my top choices, based on the quality of the materials that the rifle is made out of. For me, while the price may affect how soon I can purchase a rifle, I don't make uninformed comments about the value of a rifle that is manufactured by a company with an industry wide reputation for making some of the highest quality firearms available to anyone.

JR TACTICAL
09-05-11, 17:22
What is your definition of overpriced? If it is more than you think it is worth?
Does the quality of the rifle have anything to do with your opinion, or are your looking at it from the perspective that you can get a DPMS for $700?

Daniel Defense is one of my top choices, based on the quality of the materials that the rifle is made out of. For me, I while the price may affect how soon I can purchase a rifle, I don't make uninformed comments about the value of a rifle that is manufactured by a company with an industry wide reputation for making some of the highest quality firearms available to anyone.

I dont think I could have said it better myself. Bravo!!!! I think even at MSRP any DD rifle is a fantastic deal and one of the best you can but

ac130usnsr
09-05-11, 19:01

Ok, $200 more than a Colt SP6920 for a basic rifle that I would say is at least the equivalent of the Colt, plus that $200 gets you (conservatively rounded prices) a $50 Magpul MOE stock, a $50 rear sight, a $35 QD end plate, a $40 vertical grip, a $30 hard plastic case, a $270 Omega X rail, $20 of rail ladders, a lifetime warranty and unbeatable customer service.

Please explain where the overpricing is.

aiko
09-05-11, 20:32

Tell me why I got hosed.

TCBA_Joe
09-05-11, 20:47

Low Standards

FChen17213
09-05-11, 21:49
I think DD is a great deal. If you're willing to look, you can find a good railed rifle with sights for around $1200. The beautiful DD rail systems are generally $250-300 by themselves. Add in good iron sights, a MOE stock, and VFG and you've got a great deal.

To be fair though, Colt and BCM are very very competitive in price now too. You can get a 6920 for around $995. Then again, after you add a few accessories and a good quad rail, you're going to be higher in price than the DD.

Being a fan of the AR platform for many years now including the dreaded '94-'04 Clinton Ban days, the modern consumer has more good and competitively priced products than ever. Remember the days where people were buying "preban" franken-guns for around $2000? These were pretty much CAR-15s with fixed carry handles with A2 sights.

polydeuces
09-05-11, 22:54
Total No brainer. BUY.

How about this - you could not get it cheaper if you were to buy all the parts (if you could get them...) at the lowest price possible and build it yourself. Just do the math. Obviously talking all DD parts.
I've done it. Kinda makes me wonder if I should find a new hobby....

incognito
09-06-11, 00:00
OP,

I just last month purchased 2 DDM4s, (one V3, one V5) and the best price I could find after much searching was just under $1200 each after the shipping and the transfer was added in. The price you posted is a good deal, imho. A lot of places can not keep them in stock, even while charging closer to $1400.

TheBelly
09-06-11, 00:11
I bought my DDM4V1 for around ~$1300 after all was said and done.

Probably one of the best firearm purchases I've ever made.

OP... buy it, don't think twice.

soupy
09-06-11, 00:53
Take a basic benchmark rifle like a Colt or BCM middy, slap on a good, lightweight rail, VFG, rail covers, rear sight, and all that MOE stuff and see the price you end up with. I'm betting you'll then see how much of a bargain these DD rifles are at that price.

In terms of customer service, I have nothing but praise. I once screwed up a threaded ring nut for my M4 rail because I didn't use a proper tool and they sent me a brand new one free of charge no questions asked.

Devildawg2531
09-06-11, 22:22
I bought my DDM4V1 for around ~$1300 after all was said and done.

Probably one of the best firearm purchases I've ever made.

OP... buy it, don't think twice.

I bit the bulllet today and bought the DDM4 V3 with lightweight barrel for $1179 (it was their last V3 of either kind and no V5's were in stock). LOVE how light it is. Can't wait until Saturday to shoot it. Wish I had had one this light when I was in the USMC as rifle PT would have been much easier than with the M16A2 we had in the 90's. Really appreciate this forums advice as I think I made a good choice for what I needed this AR for. I will be adding a Surefire X300 shortly - what is generally the recommended placement of the light in relation to the VFG? I saw LAV was running his light in front of the FSP but my rails don't extend that far.

Sanpete
09-08-11, 10:32

My experience with their components. I think they need to get a few bugs worked out. I don't think they're worth their asking price right now.

J8127
09-08-11, 10:53
My experience with their components. I think they need to get a few bugs worked out. I don't think they're worth their asking price right now.

Way to not answer his question.

What expirience? What components? What bugs?

polydeuces
09-08-11, 11:26

REALLY would like you to go in as much detail as possible where there may be bugs...or it could be overpriced...

aziator
09-08-11, 11:39

Is that the best you have? Is your experience simply looking at in in a shop and deciding it was too much? I have yet to have anything from Daniel Defense fail on me. I have messed up a few parts on my own and even then they took care of me.

One of my hunting rifles has a DD rail on it with an Aimpoint mounted forward on the rail. I dropped said rifle one morning accidentally from a treestand, about 35 feet down (first really cold morning and big gloves that didn't grip my rope that well). Needless to say, I took the gun to verify zero and it was still shooting exactly the way it was before.

Sanpete
09-08-11, 11:52
Way to not answer his question.

What expirience? What components? What bugs?

I've posted a small list a few times in other topics, and before this turns into something ugly, this will be my last post in this thread.

-Canted FSB's that are not only canted, but installed right up against the shoulder not allowing for the proper spacing and/or a handguard cap to be installed.
-Soft fasteners on both their Micro mount and their A1.5 rear sight. Also I'm not a fan of the design that pinches the entire mount/sight to secure it to the rail, rather than using a separate piece to secure it.
-A1.5 sight apertures drilled crooked. Sure, you simply move the windage a few clicks and it will work fine, but it reflects a certain attention to detail.
-Barrel nuts on the Lite rail / Omega X line. Now I admit that I haven't seen their redesigned barrel nut of this year, so this may or may not have been fixed. But the previous barrel nuts were thin enough that you could see right through the thing in certain spots on the threads. This was due to the cut outs for the wrench to engage. I never saw it cause a problem with the rail, so take that for what it's worth. I hope the redesign improved this.
-Short and soft taper pins on the FSB. Where Colt & BCM pins give you plenty of meat to punch to get the pin started, the DD pins are considerably shorter and don't protrude from the FSB nearly as much.
-Aluminum receiver end plates. Should be steel.
-Lower parts kit: mag release buttons fitting overly loose / rotational play inside the mag release well on the receiver.

Many of these are small issues that don't affect the overall performance... I get that. Their rifles seem to work. But they are issues that are usually not present in other rifles in the same price range (at least as consistently as DD). DD is still relatively new to the AR rifle scene (rifles, not talking rails), and I think they have a little more growing to do before I'd put them next to makers like Colt, BCM, or LMT.
Just sharing what I've encountered....not read online. Feel free to agree or not. I don't care.

Failure2Stop
09-08-11, 12:16
I've posted a small list a few times in other topics, and before this turns into something ugly, this will be my last post in this thread.

-Canted FSB's that are not only canted, but installed right up against the shoulder not allowing for the proper spacing and/or a handguard cap to be installed.
-Soft fasteners on both their Micro mount and their A1.5 rear sight. Also I'm not a fan of the design that pinches the entire mount/sight to secure it to the rail, rather than using a separate piece to secure it.
-A1.5 sight apertures drilled crooked. Sure, you simply move the windage a few clicks and it will work fine, but it reflects a certain attention to detail.
-Barrel nuts on the Lite rail / Omega X line. Now I admit that I haven't seen their redesigned barrel nut of this year, so this may or may not have been fixed. But the previous barrel nuts were thin enough that you could see right through the thing in certain spots on the threads. This was due to the cut outs for the wrench to engage. I never saw it cause a problem with the rail, so take that for what it's worth. I hope the redesign improved this.
-Short and soft taper pins on the FSB. Where Colt & BCM pins give you plenty of meat to punch to get the pin started, the DD pins are considerably shorter and don't protrude from the FSB nearly as much.
-Lower parts kit: mag release buttons fitting overly loose / rotational play inside the mag release well on the receiver.

Many of these are small issues that don't affect the overall performance... I get that. Their rifles seem to work. But they are issues that are usually not present in other rifles in the same price range (at least as consistently as DD). DD is still relatively new to the AR rifle scene (rifles, not talking rails), and I think they have a little more growing to do before I'd put them next to makers like Colt, BCM, or LMT.
Just sharing what I've encountered....not read online. Feel free to agree or not. I don't care.

This has to be most significant criticism of DD rifles I have seen.
I have to say, I see very few DD rifles other than my own, and that was just a complete DD upper.

Were these notes from a single rifle?
How many other manufacturers are represented in your data pool?

I don't think that you are being dishonest, just making sure to head off some things early as this is an abnormality and will therefore gain attention.

polydeuces
09-08-11, 12:54
Whether or not some any or all of it is valid, you have a point.
So I edit my previous post.
FWIW - most any part you mentioned I've had no experience with, other than Omega rails, LPK's, barrels & upper receivers.
All of which have had the best of fit, been flawless and are of the highest quality, bar none, consistently.
As you mention the LPK, what lower receiver was it being installed on - perhaps there's you problem? (as DD is not selling stripped lower receivers).
I have installed it on 3 different make receivers, all good and tight. Every bit as good as a G&R LPK.

J8127
09-08-11, 13:00

I don't think you should stop posting, I agree with F2S. How long ago was this that you had these problems? I wonder if they are known issues with early stuff maybe?

Can't speak to the structural issues, mine is perfect to my limited knowledge, how come you don't like the design of the sight? I haven't seen that kind of thing discussed before.

duece71
09-08-11, 17:39
Interesting. Did you own a DD rifle?? If so, did you contact DD about these issues?? Was the rifle you were looking at a first run production or something?

bakercountyboy
09-08-11, 19:25
buds has this dd v4 http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_901/products_id/75338 for $1100 shipped....i want it oh soo bad. put some troy flip-ups on it and shoot the shit out of it.

jd1123
09-08-11, 20:09
Great buy. A DDM4v3 was my first Ar15 and honestly, I have no complaints besides the fact that they're hard to find at prices like you mentioned. I'm looking to add another to my collection...

FChen17213
09-08-11, 21:25
Assuming Sanpete is being honest, this has got to be the largest specific criticism of DD I have seen to date. Personally, I haven't had any issues with my DD's that I've put over 10k rounds through. Of course 2 guns in a sample of thousands means nothing. I hope we get more posts from Sanpete as to specifics as to the numbers of defects he's seen and how many DD rifles have come through his possession. Approx rounds counts and amount of usage wouldn't be bad either.

An Undocumented Worker
09-08-11, 21:25
This has to be most significant criticism of DD rifles I have seen.
I have to say, I see very few DD rifles other than my own, and that was just a complete DD upper.

Were these notes from a single rifle?
How many other manufacturers are represented in your data pool?

I don't think that you are being dishonest, just making sure to head off some things early as this is an abnormality and will therefore gain attention.

I've Got a DD custom URG, and the fasteners on the Rearsight are fine, I

Actually like the pinch design better than a seperate clamp piece (less stuff that could get lost)

The lite rail is great, and do not see any thin spots in the barrel nut like the guy described.

The FSB is perfectly aligned with the windage on the rear sight in the middle and the FSB is centered with the rail. The FSB also has the space where a handguard cap would go if the rail weren't there.

The gas port appears to be appropriatly sized, as cyclic rate seems good with smooth recoil and no problems with 5.56 nato or low powered ammo and an A5 buffer assembly.

DD also explicity states if you are not happy with your rifle they will make it right.

As one last bit this rifle will also shoot just under one MOA with 77grn SMK's

I am of the belief that DD makes fantastic gear.

nutnless220
09-09-11, 01:28
I paid full retail for my DDM4 at the height of the obama bubble, $1650.00 plus tax. I was glad to get it, they were very scarce at the time.
Aprox. 7800 rounds later, I have had no malfunctions and I have no regrets or buyers remorse. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.