PDA

View Full Version : just about done with my 550b (super annoying problem)

fuse
09-05-11, 22:04
I have an infuriating problem with my 550 I can't seem to solve. it really slows me down and makes reloading a real chore.

about me: been reloading for about 8 months or so. have loaded about 6k rounds since then, and I only load 9mm. the 550 is my first and only press.

the issue: on station 1, after being resized, the brass has often shifted out of position to be primed. see this handy graphic-

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/ebtromba/boom2/casedrift.jpg

this is where I typically find my brass after it has been resized and deprimed.
(I am nearly certain) this is caused by what happens at station 2. (when there is no case in station 2, the newly resized case in station 1 is always in the correct place to be primed) the powder die often sticks to the case being belled out. the resulting violence of lowering the ram causes enough disturbance to shift the case in station 1 out of position to be primed. sometimes it only moves a little and I can do this little double or triple tap technique with the ram that shifts it back into position. However, mostly I have to push it back in with my thumb.

either way it really destroys my rhythm and even more so that it does not happen with every case. it does happen the majority of the time however.

I don't think I am belling the case out too much with the powder die, causing it to stick. in fact, in an attempt to fix this problem I have backed the powder die back about as much as I can, and occasionally cases are belled so little the bullet doesn't stay upright before its seated, and then I have to reset that. there is definitely minimum belling going on.

maybe the powder die itself is out of spec?

this makes me want to get rid of my 550 and get a XL650. (admittedly this is probably what I should have done first, but I don't feel bad following the Enos FAQ and getting the 550 for my first press to learn on)
from the videos I have seen, it appears the 650 primes the resized case in station 2, in which the case is held in place by some sort of spring loaded mechanism, thus making any 'case drift' impossible and securely holding the case in place to be primed. if I am seeing this correctly, it seems the 650 is definitely the superior press, at least as far as priming is concerned.

any other ideas on what is causing this?

fuse
09-05-11, 22:40
well, that was fast. another forum steered me right. it was the paper clip thing. mine was loose, and doing nothing. this is rather embarrassing but the whole time I have owned and used this press I had no idea what it was for.

"thanks"

Snake Plissken
09-06-11, 03:06
If in doubt with a Dillon, Hornady, Redding, RCBS, etc press....call the manufacturer. They're all pretty damn good at helping you out.

markm
09-06-11, 08:22
Yes. Indeed the wire retainer wasn't adjusted properly. That sticking in station 2 varies by brass type. It's bad when the brass has tar bullet sealant still in the case.

Malchira
09-06-11, 10:19
Your other commenter may have mentioned this, but from your picture it looks like your wire retainer is backwards as well as not lined up. You want to be able to push it smoothly out of the way when inserting a case, so align the "curl" to achieve that.

Regarding belling, you may want to try cleaning the end of the powder funnel/expander (it probably has some brass "smeared" on it) and hitting it with some case lube. I found Imperial sizing wax to last longer than I expected, and it made the operation much smoother.

hals1
09-06-11, 10:33
Ah crap. I was about to PM him to ask what he wanted for the troublesome 550. I need one.

Rottweiler
09-06-11, 11:17
:jester:Yeah, what hals1 said....

TomD
09-06-11, 14:16
Polishing the powder die will (mostly) alleviate the sticking problem. Chuck it in a drill and work on the radius & the portion actually belling the case. Start with 600 emery and finish with crocus cloth.

WBAR
09-06-11, 17:09
Send the pos to me for proper disposal! :sarcastic:

Fullauto
09-06-11, 19:50
OP glad you got you issue resolved. I have a 650 and love it. If you decide to upgrade this is a nice press. But just to clarify the de priming and sizing take place in position 1 priming and powder in pos 2. As stated in a previous post if you have any other issues call up Dillon they are great and will do everything they can to get you going again.

alank2
09-06-11, 20:03
Hi,

The other thing that can happen is that your shellplate can get out of alignment with the tool head. If you find that cases want to jam going into the sizing die even though you have them seated properly at station 1, this can be the issue. If you experience it, call Dillon and they will send you an alignment tool at no charge.

BTW, check out my signature for a product that will never let you double a round by forgetting to rotate the shell plate. It will also make sure you take the press handle fully to each end of travel as well or give you an error. It has a round counter, RPM meter, and much more. Made in the USA by hand.

Good luck,

Alan

Bimmer
09-07-11, 21:05
This is rather embarrassing but the whole time I have owned and used this press I had no idea what it was for.

There's a lesson here... Ask the question BEFORE it becomes infuriating!

Sometimes the answers (and fixes) are easy.

markm
09-07-11, 21:49
You're only at the beginning of what ass aches the Dillon can give you. Holy Shit! If I had a dollar for every time I wanted to take an Ax to my ****ing machine!!

Still.... it's the best piece of shit out there... so. :cool:

Bimmer
09-07-11, 22:36
The powder die often sticks to the case being belled out...

FWIW, this problem drove me nuts for a long time...

The fix is to polish the outside of the powder funnel (the part that touches the inside of the cases, NOT the die itself), or even just touch it with greasy fingers now and again.

Barnaby
09-10-11, 11:12
FWIW, this problem drove me nuts for a long time...

The fix is to polish the outside of the powder die (the part that touches the inside of the cases), or even just touch it with greasy fingers now and again.

That's my fix :-)

chadbag
09-11-11, 06:37
Polishing the powder die will (mostly) alleviate the sticking problem. Chuck it in a drill and work on the radius & the portion actually belling the case. Start with 600 emery and finish with crocus cloth.

Not to be anal, but I think you really mean "polishing the powder funnel". The powder die does not touch the brass.

Bimmer
09-15-11, 16:08
Not to be anal...

Not to be anal retentive, but I think you mean "anal retentive."

It's another matter entirely whether you are simply "anal" ("of, relating to, situated near, or involving the anus").

I think you really mean "polishing the powder funnel". The powder die does not touch the brass.

You're totally right, and you're not being anal retentive (much less simply "anal"). Terminology matters. I'm going to edit my post...

chadbag
09-15-11, 16:28
Not to be anal retentive, but I think you mean "anal retentive."

It's another matter entirely whether you are simply "anal" ("of, relating to, situated near, or involving the anus").

Well, lots of people shorten "anal retentive" to "anal" when it is obvious "anal retentive" is meant. I guess it is shorter :-)

You're totally right, and you're not being anal retentive (much less simply "anal"). Terminology matters. I'm going to edit my post...

tb-av
09-15-11, 19:21
The the OP, that other loop of wire that guides the loaded round off the press can work it's way up/out as well. It will prevent the shell plate from going down low enough or scrape those index fingers.

Just something to be aware of. Like forgetting to loosen that little brass tipped screw before backing out the index/shell plate bolt.

Bimmer
09-17-11, 12:50
Like forgetting to loosen that little brass tipped screw before backing out the index/shell plate bolt.

Been there, done that...

davidz71
09-17-11, 16:44
I purchased a 550 before they changed to the auto powder measure. I ordered the replacement parts to change it and used it with regularity since the early 80's. It always worked great with no issues. I talked a friend into a 650 and after initial adjustments his has run fine. I sold the 550 last year, bought the 650 and have had a few issues with 223 brass occasionally not feeding properly once it drops down the tube. It seems that the casefeed adapter does not fit tightly to the casefeed body and will cant at a slight angle. This has caused a number of problems. I need to call Dillon to get this straightened out.

I just wanted to let you know that while the 650 is faster, it also can have more problems so stay with that 550B and I'm sure you will be just fine. I miss mine.