PDA

View Full Version : Vicker's Tactical Needed in SFLA...

BountyXP
09-06-11, 17:30
LAV,

Noticed the 2012 schedule has nothing in store for South Florida in 2012. I also noted you'll be in North Florida (Gainesville) twice. Any chance we can convince you to make it down for a Carbine course at locations in Tampa, Lakeland, or Miami?

vigilant2
09-10-11, 19:34
Yep, I'll add my voice to that, Miami would be great, but I'd be able to make the trip to Lakeland. Whether it be handgun or carbine. Throw
South Florida a bone, please!:o

RogerinTPA
09-10-11, 20:50
As with most well known instructors, someone will have to host, i.e, make all the arrangements and negotiations, post on gun forums to fill the class as full as possible, find a range that's willing to allow you to host without jumping through hoops and a lot of cheddar. I tried in the Tampa area a few years back but couldn't find a range willing to give up their regular profit margin for a 3 day class. Finding a private range with at least a 100 yard range would be ideal. Finding that in the Tampa Bay area is a very large PITA.

BountyXP
09-11-11, 09:53
As with most well known instructors, someone will have to host, i.e, make all the arrangements and negotiations, post on gun forums to fill the class as full as possible, find a range that's willing to allow you to host without jumping through hoops and a lot of cheddar. I tried in the Tampa area a few years back but couldn't find a range willing to give up their regular profit margin for a 3 day class. Finding a private range with at least a 100 yard range would be ideal. Finding that in the Tampa Bay area is a very large PITA.

I'm figuring the range to host the event will be the biggest issue. I already approached Southern Exposure in Lakeland and was shot down. Pop's in Miami is willing but doesn't really have the facilities for this type of class due to range size, equipment, etc.

Might have to look into the Broward/Palm Beach counties for a location. Any suggestions where to look?

RogerinTPA
09-11-11, 10:53
I'm figuring the range to host the event will be the biggest issue. I already approached Southern Exposure in Lakeland and was shot down. Pop's in Miami is willing but doesn't really have the facilities for this type of class due to range size, equipment, etc.

Might have to look into the Broward/Palm Beach counties for a location. Any suggestions where to look?

I'm not familiar with that part of the state. I know Magpul has been to Pops, but RUMINT states that the range is AFU'd (all ****ed up) and so it the owner. You might want to PM Rob_S for more info.

vigilant2
09-11-11, 11:34
The only outdoor range in Palm Beach is the Sheriffs Training
range (plenty big enough) but open to the public 1-2 weekends a
month. I'm pretty sure their response will be no, although I believe 2-3 yrs back an M4carbine member with BSO/Swat who also had his
own training outfit did do a carbine class open to non LEO there. I want to say jackinfl but I don't remember for sure.
Other than that it would be Markham Park in Sunrise, don't know if its
doable there, like RogerinTPA says RobS would probably know.
I've taken several 1 day pistol and carbine classes at Pop Deans range through Miami Firearms Training Inc, its actually been looking better the last couple of classes I took there. As a matter a fact I'm
taking a level 2 carbine class there on Nov 5. It is a 100yrd range but
small width wise.
It all depends on what state of mind Sharon (the owner) is in and if
shes keeping up on her meds.

BountyXP
09-11-11, 12:05
As a matter a fact I'm
taking a level 2 carbine class there on Nov 5.

Coincidence...I'll be there with a group of 3 to 4 as well for Julio's class. See you then. Maybe we can see if Sharon is stable enough to set something up. ;)

vigilant2
09-11-11, 12:16
Will definitely see you there then.

jwperry
09-11-11, 15:41
Universal Shoot Academy should be able to house an event like this. (I've never been there, but this is where they have all kinds of pistol shooting tournaments)
http://www.frankgarciausa.com/usa.html

30 cal slut
09-20-11, 16:25
Hey Larry if you're reading this .... :D

rob_s
10-08-11, 19:49
Just wanted to add to this...

There is no viable range in the tri-county area for decent training classes. The risk of Sharon having a meltdown is too great for anyone remotely sane to schedule a class there months out. She could go off her pills and shut the whole thing down.

BountyXP
10-10-11, 01:05
Just wanted to add to this...

There is no viable range in the tri-county area for decent training classes. The risk of Sharon having a meltdown is too great for anyone remotely sane to schedule a class there months out. She could go off her pills and shut the whole thing down.

Rob, after having met her for the first time, I am afraid I have to concur...she is definitely an accident waiting to happen...in particular around firearms.

Attempted to get something set up with Irv at Southern Exposure and got some surprising negative push-back based on the instructor. Go figure. So I'm out of options this far south. I'm researching ranges in the Tampa/St. Pete area and on the East Coast somewhere north of WPB County.

rob_s
10-10-11, 05:33
Is there any reason at that point you don't simply make the drive to Gainesille?
http://gainesvilletargetrange.com/vickers-tactical-3-day-advanced-pistolcarbine-class

I would be careful over-saturating the training market. Many instructors don't know what they are getting into and will just be happy to book a class with no regard for what else is happening in the state, and when there's too many classes scheduled, we wind up with no classes booked to sufficient capacity to make them happen.

This happens way more than a lot of people realize. If you want to get into the hosting business I strongly suggest doing a lot of looking around at what else is happening in the area. A lot of people think "well this is the only Vickers class for 6 months either direction" but that's not the only factor.

Have you taken any other classes? I'm hoping to train with Vickers myself at some point, possibly that Gainesville class, but there are a ton of other very capable instructors coming to the state.

BountyXP
10-10-11, 05:37
Is there any reason at that point you don't simply make the drive to Gainesille?
http://gainesvilletargetrange.com/vickers-tactical-3-day-advanced-pistolcarbine-class

I would be careful over-saturating the training market. Many instructors don't know what they are getting into and will just be happy to book a class with no regard for what else is happening in the state, and when there's too many classes scheduled, we wind up with no classes booked to sufficient capacity to make them happen.

This happens way more than a lot of people realize. If you want to get into the hosting business I strongly suggest doing a lot of looking around at what else is happening in the area. A lot of people think "well this is the only Vickers class for 6 months either direction" but that's not the only factor.

Have you taken any other classes? I'm hoping to train with Vickers myself at some point, possibly that Gainesville class, but there are a ton of other very capable instructors coming to the state.

Given that you weren't privy to the private conversations I had with LAV on the subject, I guess this is a fair question. The timeframe we were discussing was November 2012.

ETA: And, yes, I have trained with Randy Cain and am signed up for Pat's December class at Southern Exposure.

rob_s
10-10-11, 05:57
Given that you weren't privy to the private conversations I had with LAV on the subject, I guess this is a fair question. The timeframe we were discussing was November 2012.

ETA: And, yes, I have trained with Randy Cain and am signed up for Pat's December class at Southern Exposure.

In that case I'll see you at Pat's class. This will be my 5th or 6th time training with Pat, I go back every year.

ETA:
If you do get him scheduled somewhere, please let me know. I try to keep up with such things here (https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=q3v0u46jtkrhgl6pmahvi54t84%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York)

MCS
10-18-11, 21:11
I'm itching for LAV anywhere remotely close to greater Tampa Bay.