PDA

View Full Version : opinions on Zeiss Conquest scopes

ILRedneck
09-06-11, 19:31
I really need to upgrade the scope on my SPR. Right now it's got a Burris 3-9 on it, but I want better glass. I'm looking at the Zeiss Conquest in either 3.5-10 or 4.5-14 power. I tried the search button but can't find much info on this line on the forum already. The rifle is mostly shot prone off a bipod, or from traditional sitting and kneeling positions, and weight isn't that big of an issue, this isn't my walking rifle. I'm looking for info on glass quality, adjustment repeatability and zero retention. Thanks in advance.

markm
09-07-11, 09:11
Pappabear has a Zeiss Conquest on his gun. VERY NICE. We haven't box tested it or anything, but it tracks well, and the reticle is wonderful to look at.

PM him for more info.

Pappabear
09-07-11, 12:42
Zeiss has great glass and great reputation. They just have not gone after the tactical market real aggressively IMO.

I think they (Conquest) offer a good mid priced scope. A variety of reticles etc. I have had no issue with mine.

Very Clear glass.

JW5219
09-07-11, 17:02
I own two Zeiss Conquest 3x-9X 's. Both are on bolt guns. They are great scopes. The 3.5x -10x and the other one are going to be considerably heavier, and more expensive. I don't see the benefit and would go with the 3x-9X. Just my .02

darr3239
09-07-11, 17:13
Here's a great article I ran across some time ago, which compares a number of scopes.

http://www.americanhunter.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-6/2009611-retilces.pdf

ST911
09-07-11, 21:15
I've tried some. Excellent clarity. They tracked well. Build quality appeared good.

ucrt
09-07-11, 22:11

I'm sure the Conquest scopes are decent scopes but I don't think you're getting the true German design in them. The Conquest are an American market version 1" scope to compete with lower line scopes but captialize on the Zeiss name. Not a bad scope but not a "true" Zeiss scope.

They can't be making a $700 1" tube scope the same way they are making a 30mm tube $2400+ scope. they have to be cutting corners somewhere.

Personally, I'd choose a Leupold VariX III or better in the same price range versus a hair-lipped Zeiss Conquest.

But maybe it's just me....

elnino31
09-09-11, 23:18
I have a 4.5-14x44 conquest on an fn spr a2 and can tell you that the clarity is excellent. For around 6-700 used, it's hard to beat. Repeatability has been dead on thus far. Cannot say I've ever looked through a $2500 diavari, so I wouldn't be able to compare the differences. I do know that the conquest impressed me and anyone else that has shot w/ me. I purchased it based on many reviews and after quick look through one at bass pro. I plan to purchase a 2nd for a r700.

VIP3R 237
09-09-11, 23:49
You can't go wrong with a conquest, it is an excellent optic. I actually took off my vx3 on my bolt gun and replaced it with a conquest and have never looked back.

jdgiii
09-10-11, 03:17
The Zeiss Conquest is a great scope for the money. Had one on a 700 l should have never sold. Nice controls, bright and clear. I]ll buy another one in a heartbeat.

a0cake
09-10-11, 11:28
I can't speak for the Zeiss offerings, but I figured I'd offer you a few alternatives to consider.

I highly recommend the SWFA SS series scopes. Their 3-9X is one of the best values out there right now, and performs at a level of scopes twice its price. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50716.aspx I have one and it tracks perfectly, is built solid, and has outstanding glass. Plus it's a 30mm tube.

There's also a group buy going on at Snipers Hide right now where you can get $500 off the 5-20X SWFA SS scope, which is an HD model. This is a $1,500 scope that you can have for $1,000 if you're patient...and it will perform for you. I have no experience with the 5-20, only the 3-9, but many experienced shooters are saying the 5-20 is performing way above its price point. Some at the hide even prefer it over their comparable S&B's. Hyperbole? Probably. But it's still a damn good optic.

Just figured I'd throw a few options out there. HTH.

ra2bach
09-10-11, 22:17
that group buy is over...