PDA

View Full Version : What's the current thoughts regarding LMT's quality control?

LMT42
09-06-11, 21:29
I decided to buy an AR in mid '08 and after thorough research decided on Lewis, Machine & Tool. About a year and half ago, they switched to MIM gas keys and it caused a big stink. The argument was if people wanted "as good as" they'd buy a BM instead of an LMT. There also seemed to be some slippage in their QC. I saw a couple of pictures of gas keys that had noticeable cracks around the staking and never should have made it to the market. I believe the thoughts at the time were that LMT was churning out too many rifles too quickly.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if they've redeemed themselves or are still considered to be slipping in quality?

jbo723
09-06-11, 21:36
Has there even been a report of the gas key breaking or coming loose on any BCG's that have been preduced with MIM keys?

Blankwaffe
09-06-11, 23:10
Use your search function above in the task bar....there is a thread on the subject of MIM gas keys from LMT,with documentation linked from LMT as to thier testing of said MIM gas keys.It was a manufacturing and supply decision and not a quality control issue.
As for when LMT went to the MIM gas key,its my understanding it was the spring of 2008.In fact I have a LMT BCG that has the MIM gas key that I purchased in the fall of 2008.The MIM gas key or its fasteners with cracked staking has not budged,and its had an ample round count to test for functional reliability.
As far as LMT's QC....Ive not seen many complaints on their products online,most of those were finish/tool mark related.Certainly nothing compared to the rest of the commercial market.
In all the stuff Ive bought from LMT in the last 3 years Ive only had one issue personally and that was a gas cut bolt face,apparently from HPT or test fire at the factory,which LMT immediately replaced without question.
This is a moot subject IMHO and will go nowhere in a hurry.

The_War_Wagon
09-06-11, 23:39
How many ways can you spell, "excellent?" I've got a factory new carbine upper of theirs running on a used 6920 lower; I bought it because it WAS an LMT, and I got a good deal on it. :D

Blankwaffe
09-07-11, 00:03
Found the link to the LMT gas key doc that Grant posted here sometime back.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/LMT/Gas%20Key%20Study%20Response%20June%202009.pdf

justin_247
09-07-11, 00:57
Since when has LMT "slipped in quality?" Does the poster really believe that BM is "as good as" LMT?

It's amazing that people are willing to drive cars, ride on trains, and fly on airplanes that are absolutely packed with MIM parts, but seeing a MIM gas key makes them freak out. You'd think it was made out of PVC or something.

This thread is worthless.

vecdran
09-07-11, 01:02
Just because most companies that make MIM gun parts make crappy stuff, doesn't mean you can't make excellent parts with MIM.

F1 teams produce beautiful carbon fiber race monocoques. Chinese rip-off companies make garbage wet-lay carbon parts. Same "process", entirely different quality.