PDA

View Full Version : Standard capacity mags as an investment?

a1fabweld
09-06-11, 22:53
The anti's are always coming up with ways to restrict gun rights as we all know. Since the AZ shooting earlier this year, it seems to me that full capacity magazines are the hot topic to the MSM & the anti gun lib's.

I ran across this article about a potential mag ban:http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/01/pending_magazine_ban_legislati.html

I remember when Glock mags were going for $75 after the last ban. Is this something that we should be stocking up on just in case?

docsherm
09-06-11, 23:03
I always stock up on them just because it is good to have spares. I like to keep at least 200 M4 mags (half USGI and half PMags) as extra and at least 20 Glock mags. These are new in the wrapper mags not in the training rotation for my guns.

The_War_Wagon
09-06-11, 23:36
They'll be worth MUCH more than the dollars you gave for them in short order, it appears... :o

NWPilgrim
09-07-11, 01:15
Buying for a possible mag an is speculation not investment. But I think they would make a decent inflation hedge. They are not likely to get any cheaper, unless with a draw down in military we get flooded with surplus on the consumer market. But quality mags are pretty low priced now, not sure they could be made and distributed any cheaper.

I bought lots of AK and AR mags over the last several years, starting when AK mags were selling for $15 for four in a pouch, and AR mags were $5. Haven't regretted a single purchase. No plans to sell any but no plans to need to buy any for a generation or so.

Moose-Knuckle
09-07-11, 01:49
Back in '04 when Slick Willy's ""Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act" sunsetted I dropped $1K on GLOCK, AR, and 10/22 hi-caps.

As it is with ammo, there is NO such thing as too many mags. Majority of our modern firearms are detachable box magazine fed so they would be reduced to expensive clubs if we didn't have mags for them. You can bet your ass that there WILL be fourth coming anti 2nd legislation. It's already been put to paper.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/06/07/u-n-agreement-should-have-all-gun-owners-up-in-arms/

So YES stock up on high capacity box fed magazines for your particular rifles. One day, what you don't use you can trade/barter or sell.

Lost River
09-08-11, 11:28
I have played this game before.

This and more:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/007.jpg

4x4twenty6
09-08-11, 12:26
Great picture! im going to change my draws now. lol

Kfgk14
09-08-11, 15:44
I'm planning on buying a quantity of USGI 30 rounders and keeping them in wrapping for a rainy day. Maybe buying a few Beta C-Mags too? Could really cash in on them during a ban.

PA PATRIOT
09-08-11, 17:40
Lots of people report good results with the Korean made Glock magazines and I have used a few hard over the past year with zero malfunctions. The good thing is these magazine sell under $10.00 most places and can be had for the Model-17, 19 and 22 as well as the 33rd sticks.

Moose-Knuckle
09-08-11, 21:08
I'm planning on buying a quantity of USGI 30 rounders and keeping them in wrapping for a rainy day. Maybe buying a few Beta C-Mags too? Could really cash in on them during a ban.

Beta Cs are a no go. Check out the SureFire high capacity offerings.

Kfgk14
09-08-11, 21:26
Beta Cs are a no go. Check out the SureFire high capacity offerings.

Whats the issue with the Beta's, specifically? it was really an idle thought, I'd have to look at it further but are they unreliable/weak?

oef24
09-08-11, 23:22
Whats the issue with the Beta's, specifically? it was really an idle thought, I'd have to look at it further but are they unreliable/weak?

For some, BETA's have been hit or miss. The new offerings from Surefire seem to be the new wave and you can't beat Surefire's warranty and customer service. I have a few BETA's and a few Armatac drums. They are big and heavy compared to the Surefire quad-stack mags.
Many of us remember paying $100+ for 17 round Glock 17 mags. I remember using 10 round mags for training and "saving" my hi-caps because I didn't want to damage or break them. Once the ban sunset in '04, I made sure that I would never pay those prices again.

O

Moose-Knuckle
09-11-11, 01:06

They are cumbersome and finicky to boot. Require graphite lubrication often, hard to keep clean and free of debris in the field.

Reliable feeding has proven to be problematic as well.

docsherm
09-11-11, 04:36
I have used the Beta Cmag several times. You have to clean it after every use and make sure it is well lubed (powered graphite). If you do that I have had no problems with it. I used one on my last trip here to the Stan as a Truck mag and it never failed. It do take a great deal of time to maintain. I would go with the Surefire mags for reliability and cost. You can get 2 of the Surefire 60 round mags for the cost of a C-Mag.

kymudder08
12-14-11, 08:08
Wow, would be nice to have that many flock mags. I think I have 6 g17 mags and 1 33 rounder. Cheapest I've bought one was 24$ at a gunshot from quantico tactical. All the others either came with it or I paid 30$ each. Which ones are the Korean mags?

Backstop
12-14-11, 09:01
Is this something that we should be stocking up on just in case?

For you: If you'd like to go ahead; there's obviously money to be made.

For me: No. I have more than adequate stock, but they're for me and mine.

One of my biggest reasons is I don't want to advertise I have guns, mags, etc. and give my home address to strangers.

And if S really does HTF, I most certainly don't want anyone with the knowledge that I have food and guns coming near my home.

Guess I could put them on a trailer, and drive the tractor up to the main road like I did as a kid to sell vegetables.

ST911
12-14-11, 09:06
Legislation is always a possibility, but there may be more merit in buying now to guard against higher prices in the future as a result of market forces and inflation in general.

There can also be some risk in stockpiling mags. As new variations are developed with improvements or compatibility with new lines, old stock may lose value, or even function. The more prolific lines will be more stable over the long run, but they are not immune.

Further, if you're stockpiling mags for eventual use in addition to possible resale, their function should be verified. When one mag manufacturer's QC went south and they dumped inventory, many stockpilers ended up with little more than scrap metal.

Blstr88
12-14-11, 09:32
As an investment? No, not in the traditional sense of the word...I wouldnt buy them just in the hopes of selling them for more down the road.

I DO buy LOTS of mags lately...everytime I place an order on CTD I grab 3-5 PMAGs. They sell for $12-$15 on CTD, brand new in either black, green, or tan...can't really beat that for a great mag. I'd say Im up to about 50 30-round AR mags so far, 30 of which are still in the plastic.

I've only recently started stocking up on Beretta 96 mags too, Im up to 15 of them.

I dont do it as an investment, but I do agree that liberals are whittling away gun rights slowly...thats how they do it. High capacity mags could very well become illegal soon, and having a good pile of 30-round AR mags and 12-round Beretta mags would be nice when that does happen.

ST911
12-14-11, 16:17
I've only recently started stocking up on Beretta 96 mags too, Im up to 15 of them.

Mass dumpings of Beretta 90-series guns created an abundance of used LE trade-in 92 and 96 mags for a time. I remember a bin full of both for $5.00ea. They can still be found. I think CDNN had a bunch for $12-15ea.

PA PATRIOT
12-15-11, 17:23
History has a habit of repeating its self over and over so I stocked up to have magazines when needed but also to supply my dependents with grandfathered magazines if another ban rolls by.

Heavy Metal
12-15-11, 17:48
The anti's are always coming up with ways to restrict gun rights as we all know. Since the AZ shooting earlier this year, it seems to me that full capacity magazines are the hot topic to the MSM & the anti gun lib's.

I ran across this article about a potential mag ban:http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/01/pending_magazine_ban_legislati.html

I remember when Glock mags were going for $75 after the last ban. Is this something that we should be stocking up on just in case?

That article was written right after the Giffords shooting. It went nowhere then(as I accurately predicted) never came close to passing and is positively pinnin' for the Fjords now. They couldn't even get a mag ban passed in ultra-lib Connecticut! They couldn't move the ball on the most favorable spot on the playing field.

If you want to buy mags, buy them. That is the only reason I have ever needed.

Kfgk14
12-15-11, 18:41
I guess I ought to consider one of those BCM 100-cases of magazines as an investment in my future.

Blstr88
12-15-11, 23:07
I guess I ought to consider one of those BCM 100-cases of magazines as an investment in my future.

Wow I never saw that on their site before...$9/magazine is great!

Not sure I could explain to the wife why I spent almost $1k on magazines though...a few bucks here, a few bucks there I can explain, but when she sees a box of 100 show up she might be mad :lol:

usmcvet
12-20-11, 08:21
Wow I never saw that on their site before...$9/magazine is great!

Not sure I could explain to the wife why I spent almost $1k on magazines though...a few bucks here, a few bucks there I can explain, but when she sees a box of $100 show up she might be mad :lol:

I agree a hundred bucks every once in a while works. :) I just bought 8 NHMT/Okay mags and 2 20 round Colts on another board for $102 shipped. 4 of the 30's were NIW and 4 were like new.

TimL2165
12-21-11, 01:47
Like several others here, I purchase a few magazines every time I make a purchase from Brownells or other similar dealer. The extra $45 doesn't really hit my bank account too hard since I'm already placing an order for other items and would've had to pay the shipping charge anyways. Over time the number of mags in your armory really add up.

I also keep my eyes open for special bulk purchase deals that pop up from time to time. Troy Industries was offering a 10-pack purchase of their new polymer magazine for somewhere around $9 a mag (can't remember exactly). Supposed to be of the same quality as PMags. For under $100 I got 10 more mags added to the pile.