PDA

View Full Version : Which Hunting Scope???

JR TACTICAL
09-07-11, 01:20
Hey Guys,

I am just getting into hunting and this will be my second season doing it. Last season I shot my deer and hogs with my fathers rifle (remington 700/220 Swift with NF scope) needless to say I was spoiled my first time with that setup. My wallet is not as deep as my fathers so I went out and bought a Savage Edge rifle in .308, threw on a harris BR6-9 bipod and some crap glass just to go shoot the thing.

As time is rapidly approaching for my next hunt(s) I want some new and better glass to do the job, not NF quality but some good glass for around the $200-$250, I was going to go American Defense for the mount as I installed a EGW scope base on the rifle, im open to suggestions on that as well.

I was doing some reasearch and found a few scopes that fit my needs and is in the price range I want:

1. Bushnell Banner 4-16X40 with Illuminated Reticle
http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/banner/714164I/

2. Vortex Crossfire 4-12X40 with Illuminated V-Brite Reticle
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-crossfire-4-12x40-riflescope-v-brite-illuminated-reticle/reticle

I have never used either brand of scope, I am a leupold guy myself but I could not find a Leupold scope with the magnification and Illumination that I want for the right price. Anyways, some input would be greatly appriciated, I'm not looking to break the bank on glass, this is my entry level hunting rifle so I dont want to go crazy

Thanks guys,
JR

incognito
09-07-11, 08:20
In my humble opinion, if you only have $250 as a hard ceiling for buying a scope, used is the only way to go. Any new scope at that price point is still going to be crap. I would hit the EE on this sight and a few others, hit the pawn shops too, and try to land a used Nikon or Burris or other mid-level scope. Just my .02

ccoker
09-07-11, 20:22
I would say just get a set of decent rings, Warne for example, no need to spend a lot of cool tactical rings for a hunting rifle

A decent 3-9x40 will work fine for you
Bushnell 4200 Elite can be had for around 250 if you shop around, Nikon Monarch, is another good solid hunting scope
I would rather have the better glass than higher magnification, really makes a difference at last light when the big boys start to move

Pappabear
09-07-11, 23:11
I would say just get a set of decent rings, Warne for example, no need to spend a lot of cool tactical rings for a hunting rifle

A decent 3-9x40 will work fine for you
Bushnell 4200 Elite can be had for around 250 if you shop around, Nikon Monarch, is another good solid hunting scope
I would rather have the better glass than higher magnification, really makes a difference at last light when the big boys start to move

I agree with Cooker. The Bushnell Elite 4200 is very good glass for the money, it has rain guard and should meet your needs. I have a couple. It is a popular with the guys over at SWFA glass forum, for the budget scope with good glass. Nikon Monarch are pretty good too. Just dont buy shit rings and screw yourself. You dont need seekins for a basic hunting rifle, leupold or Warne. Just dont go into Sports Authority and grab some cheap ones.

Good luck hunting

Keesh
09-08-11, 00:53
Like others said, the Bushnell Elite 4200 is good. I'd prefer better glass over illumination. For the type of hunting I do, I generally have adequate time to get a good sight picture and I can find the cross hair easily without a red dot like I use on my AR.

I think you can typically find slightly used Leupold VX-IIs for that price, I have a VX-I that has served me well on my beater deer rifle that was under $200 new 4 or 5 years ago. The glass is fine for a $200 scope and it's proven to be plenty tough.

3-9x is plenty magnification and will be a littler lighter weight than larger scopes. I've made shots out to 600 yards pretty easily on 12x18" steel on 9x with my 30-06 which is a lot farther than I'd feel comfortable shooting a deer or elk at.

johnson
09-08-11, 01:11
I had the Elite 4200 3-9x and it was a very good scope for the money. Adorama shows it in stock for $225. Used prices are somewhere in the $150 range (I sold mine for $140).

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Elite-4200-3-9x40mm-Riflescope/dp/B000NJ0BUM

JR TACTICAL
09-08-11, 01:36
Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to take your advise and go with a better quality scope. I found.a Leupold VXI 3-9 for $206 plus shipping the 4-12 was only $270. Now I just need to figure out how much magnification I want, I am leaning toward the 4-12 right now

ccoker
09-08-11, 06:20
The elite 4200 has much better glass than the VX1
p

ra2bach
09-09-11, 11:41
you didn't tell us your distances but for hunting, I've never found I needed anything more than 3-9. with only three power change, they can make them more durable, lighter, and use better quality optical components then if they used a 4x range like a 3-12.

in a 3-9 or 3.5-10 I would start off by looking at the ones already mentioned. I've heard good things about the Zeiss Conquest and the ones I've looked at seemed like fantastic deals for the quality.