PDA

View Full Version : NightForce.. Am I paying for something I don't need?

markm
09-07-11, 09:18
If all I really want a fixed 10 power mil dot scope.. Am I better off picking something other than an NSX??

I mean... I like the quality that goes into a NightForce, but I have no need for variable power. S&B has a nice PS fixed 10...

Suggestions....

QuietShootr
09-07-11, 09:35
If all I really want a fixed 10 power mil dot scope.. Am I better off picking something other than an NSX??

I mean... I like the quality that goes into a NightForce, but I have no need for variable power. S&B has a nice PS fixed 10...

Suggestions....

I would be sure you really want a fixed 10x before locking yourself into one. Resale is going to be low no matter who makes it if you decide you don't like it. What are you going to do with it?

markm
09-07-11, 09:51
I would be sure you really want a fixed 10x before locking yourself into one. What are you going to do with it?

I'm running one now.. it's just not a really nice scope. Whenever I get on anyone's gun with a variable, I just dial it all the way up anyway.

Strictly a recreational precision shooter on my heavy "tactical" style rem 700.

Resale is going to be low no matter who makes it if you decide you don't like it.

Maybe that's why I see those fixed 10x S&B PS II scopes for sale?

QuietShootr
09-07-11, 09:57
I'm running one now.. it's just not a really nice scope. Whenever I get on anyone's gun with a variable, I just dial it all the way up anyway.

Strictly a recreational precision shooter on my heavy "tactical" style rem 700.

Maybe that's why I see those fixed 10x S&B PS II scopes for sale?

Yep. If you are not worrying about sniper matches or anything of that nature, one of those would be fine - but most guys find that as their skill level increases, they begin to want a variable. If you're strictly bench/target shooting, a 10x is just fine (and it served well for military purposes for a long time - it's just been overtaken by events). For the same amount of money, you can get a much higher quality fixed scope, but I'm sure you already knew that.

markm
09-07-11, 10:03
For the same amount of money, you can get a much higher quality fixed scope, but I'm sure you already knew that.

That's my dilema.

Belmont31R
09-07-11, 10:20
If you want a fixed power for that kind of money look for a newer used or demo schmidt and bender.

In the past 2 weeks Ive seen many slightly used fixed powers in the 800-1400 range.

newenglandcustomgun.com has lots of demo S&B's and eurooptic.com has demo models available, too. Not sure if they have exactly what you're looking for. Also snipershide for sale section has lots of scopes for sale at any given time.

If you know anyone with a mil or leo ID SB USA offers very nice discounts. Ive had one well known vendor tell me their discount price was cheaper than their dealer prices. I don't have the price list anymore but I bought a Short-Dot through them for well under 2k when retail is almost 2600.

markm
09-07-11, 10:58
That's kind of what I'm weighing.... S&B fixed 10 vs. NF NXS variable.

Belmont31R
09-07-11, 11:01

If all you are shooting is on the range a fixed power would work pretty well. On my 3-12SB I was at 12X 95% of the time (all range use).

I also had a 2.5-10x32 NF and I think SB build quality is a lot better. I would opt for a fixed SB than that NF.

QuietShootr
09-07-11, 11:02

Well - You won't ever be sorry you bought an NXS, despite what some S&B fans will tell you. If those are your choices, and you're weighing them, I'd probably get the NXS because you sound like you might be sorry you bought a fixed power later.

Belmont31R
09-07-11, 11:05
Well - You won't ever be sorry you bought an NXS, despite what some S&B fans will tell you. If those are your choices, and you're weighing them, I'd probably get the NXS because you sound like you might be sorry you bought a fixed power later.

I was after doing a side by side test with another member.

markm
09-07-11, 11:07

I think you're right. If NF had an 800 doller fixed 10, there'd be no question about what I'd get. I suppose the NSX will be a good long term optic investment.

Thanks.

shootist~
09-07-11, 12:50
Not exactly what you are looking for but the Snipers Hide reviews on the Vortex PST 6-24 FFP are generally very good (caveat emptor and all that). It's said (by most) to have the best glass of anything in the PST line. I would have one on my own recreational HB .308 if I did not have the wants for several other things.

Biggy
09-09-11, 08:28
If all you are shooting is on the range a fixed power would work pretty well. On my 3-12SB I was at 12X 95% of the time (all range use).

I also had a 2.5-10x32 NF and I think SB build quality is a lot better. I would opt for a fixed SB than that NF.

I am also looking to buy a scope for my Recce/SPR type rifle and was thinking about the NF 2.5-10X32 NF with the low velocity reticle. Could you explain on what you liked a lot better about the build quality of the SB vs the NF.

Belmont31R
09-09-11, 09:38
I am also looking to buy a scope for my Recce/SPR type rifle and was thinking about the NF 2.5-10X32 NF with the low velocity reticle. Could you explain on what you liked a lot better about the build quality of the SB vs the NF.

Before I start I think NF makes a pretty good scope, and Im not bashing them per say. Just think SB is that much better.

My main issues I noticed are things like the turret markings on the NF were 'painted' on whereas the SB were engraved. The focus adjustment on SB is very easy and quick to use. The NF has a very old style where its threaded, and you have two peices that rotate against each other.

In a side by side test with a 1-4X Short-Dot, 1-4X NF, and 2.5-10X32 NF the SB was much brighter during dusk times. Another member and I were shooting at a black painted steel target at 100 yards against a brown dirt background. As the sun was going down it became very difficult to pick up the target through both NF scopes when my Short-Dot was still quite bright, and easy to distinguish the target from the back ground. Even being 1-4X the brightness during low light conditions was much better even compared to my 2.5-10X32.

Now in the past year NF has made some improvements in their scopes like the zero stop and other turret improvements which is good. Those are things SB has had for many years. However as they add these things their prices on these models have gone up. Not sure if they have improved their low light capability as well but that was what stood out to me the most. Ive also done other side by side comparisons. Obviously its going to be different for everyone, and everyone is shooting in different conditions. If you don't ever need that type of low light capability then its not a big issue. European scopes were designed around the type of hunting they do there which is a lot of low light/no light shooting. If you look at the evolution of their scopes they have tended to use big ocular bells and have had illumination in their scopes for a long time, too. American hunting revolved around day light shooting where optical quality wasn't as important.

Now for the price NF is probably about the best in that sort of price range brand new. SB are more expensive but if you can afford it or are ok buying used I think its most likely worth the extra cost. I know Ive sold a couple SB scopes on here for really good prices. Im just waiting on the 1-8X to come out.

If you're willing to pay NF prices I would also look at the new Premier Light Tactical line. I don't have any hands on experience with them but Premier was already making a good scope, has a USMC contract, and for the price its something you should consider, too. Im not telling anyone what to buy, and I would always encourage people to get as much hands on time as they can before they buy. Im lucky in that the range I go to is frequented by people with lots of spendy toys, and we can check out each others equipment.

QuietShootr
09-09-11, 09:40
As an aside, I just received my SWFA SH group buy 5-20x50 FFP Mil/Mil, and it sure LOOKS quality. Plus it only cost me a G.

Going to take it to the range this afternoon.

Belmont31R
09-09-11, 10:12
SWFA has had too many QAQC issues for me to trust them...but I hope it works out for you. There certainly appears to be a market for optics in that price range with several brands having popped up in the last couple years.

diving dave
09-09-11, 11:15
Take a look at US Optics ST10...USO makes fantastic glass

markm
09-09-11, 11:40
I saw that scope too.

markm
09-20-11, 08:20
We got to shoot some 1000 yard shots on Sunday. I don't find the fixed 10X scope to be that bad.

I wish there was a place you could rent a NightForce from. :p