PDA

View Full Version : 2nd AR Purchase Q

Torch-36
09-07-11, 11:16
Hello everyone. This is my first post here since becoming a member about a month ago. Wanted to say thanks for all of the good info that I've read thus far. I currently own an LE6920 and so far it's been a great rifle. Looking to buy another one now, and want something in a mid-length with traditional M4 style furniture that is available now.

This rifle will not be a self-defense or go-to rifle, but more for taking my sons to the range for practice and having fun. Have been thinking about an Armalite, Del-Ton, or RRA up until now. Since I've read more than a few folks say some bad things about RRA, I've stricken that brand from the list, but have added the XVM mid-length from Daniel Defense.

Anyone out there have any experience with one or more of these rifles? I'd be interested in knowing what you thought of them.

obucina
09-07-11, 11:21
i dont have experience, but if the BCM mid lengths are in stock, it would be another option.

Belmont31R
09-07-11, 11:21
DD makes a good gun. For younger people Id suggest something with a light weight barrel. For range use and defense the light barrels will work fine, and keep the weight down for women and kids.

BCM makes both carbine and mid length lightweight uppers.

djegators
09-07-11, 11:26
DD or BCM would both be great ideas, and both offer numerous options. I also agree the light weight barrel would be a good option. But I also would not discount having another carbine length rifle to compliment your 6920, as a means of "two is one, one is none" redundancy.

Torch-36
09-07-11, 14:32
Thanks for the replies. Didn't realize that a lightweight barrel would mean so much less mass. The boys are 14 and 16 now though, and haven't had any noticeable problem with the Colt other than the fact they like shooting it a lot more than the 10/22's they started off with.

Did look into BCM but didn't note a mid-length model with traditional A2 style hand guards on their site. Wasn't planning on using anything up front that would require rails. Probably just an Eotech with backup irons (which is one thing I like about the DD I'm looking at as it includes them).

djegators
09-07-11, 14:37
BCM doesn't incl the handguards...they are like $20 to add them on.

NoveskeFan
09-07-11, 14:52
I love my mid-length BCM. Its smooth and handles well. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C
G&R also has the Colt SP6920 for $990 with all the factory trimmings.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920
I will be extremly jealous if you get your kids a Daniel Defense:D

RD62
09-07-11, 16:53
If you want a midlength upper, I'd definitely get the BCM Middy and a lightweight version would be nice too. Either would serve you very well.

fdxpilot
09-07-11, 17:16
I love my mid-length BCM. Its smooth and handles well. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MID-750-C
G&R also has the Colt SP6920 for $990 with all the factory trimmings.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920
I will be extremly jealous if you get your kids a Daniel Defense:D

I'd go with this. G&R lets you equip the BCM rifle with the stock, handguards, and rear sight of your choice.

Also, if Grant (G&R Tactical) is out of 6920s, DSG Arms in Ft Worth has them for $995 with $14 shipping. I went with them when Grant was out of stock.

phydaux
09-07-11, 19:28
BCM doesn't incl the handguards...they are like $20 to add them on.

Order your BMC from G&R Tactical. I'm seriously looking at one with all Mag-Pul MOE furnature.

Torch-36
09-07-11, 22:49
That's a great deal on a BCM mid-length! I hadn't really considered one before. The DD XVM is still looking attractive though as it's a complete rifle including a rear sight. Right now they're both within $75 or so by the time I purchase handguards, stock, buffer tube nut wrench and a removable sight for the BCM.

Thanks for the inputs and posting the link to the BCM mid-length. Time to make a decision now and pull the trigger.