PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight diameter handguard cap?

Travis B
09-07-11, 15:01
I'm building a LW AR with MOE handguards. Do I need a special handguard cap or will a M4 cap work?

Todd.K
09-07-11, 15:25
If you have a .625" front sight you will need a .625" handguard retainer.

Travis B
09-07-11, 21:55
If you have a .625" front sight you will need a .625" handguard retainer.

If only SAW didn't want $13 shipping for a $5 part...

Hart
09-07-11, 22:42
LW carbine takes a round cap (.625) from my understanding and can be commonly found.

A LW midlength takes a triangle cap which is the same as the one used on a M16A1. The MOE takes this one also from what I have seen.

http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=204910B&catid=12873

4 bucks. This one also has the bevel that fits into the groove in the FSB.

Worked for me using a Cav Arms hand guard on a DD midlength LW build.

Travis B
09-07-11, 22:49
LW carbine takes a round cap (.625) from my understanding and can be commonly found.

A LW midlength takes a triangle cap which is the same as the one used on a M16A1. The MOE takes this one also from what I have seen.

http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=204910B&catid=12873

4 bucks. This one also has the bevel that fits into the groove in the FSB.

Worked for me using a Cav Arms hand guard on a DD midlength LW build.

What if I use the regular style midlength handguards? Will I still need the triangle? :confused:

Travis B
09-07-11, 22:54
According to an archived ARFCOM thread ( http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=184173 ):

maybz [Industry Partner]
1/23/2010 3:45:01 PM EDT
Thanks for catching that guys, and sorry for the confusion. Let's try this again..

The new Carbine, Mid and Rifle length MOE handguards are compatible with BOTH round and triangular style caps.

Hart
09-07-11, 23:13
From my limited knowledge and experience, midlength hand guards take the triangle cap. The MOE hand guard I checked out on midlength build was assembled using a triangle cap. Will the MOE midlength also assemble using a round cap I don't know.
The Cav Arms guard instructions required a triangle cap so that's what I used. The triangle cap was a bit more difficult to find so I thought I would throw out the link in case it would be of help.

Travis B
09-07-11, 23:16
From my limited knowledge and experience, midlength hand guards take the triangle cap. The MOE hand guard I checked out on midlength build was assembled using a triangle cap. Will the MOE midlength also assemble using a round cap I don't know.
The Cav Arms guard instructions required a triangle cap so that's what I used. The triangle cap was a bit more difficult to find so I thought I would throw out the link in case it would be of help.

Well maybz is a Magpul R&D guy so I trust him that a round cap will work. Thanks for your input! If I decide to go with regular handguards, I'll try and find some that work with round. Thanks again!

archad
09-07-11, 23:58
I send u one if u pm ur addy

Travis B
09-08-11, 10:21
I send u one if u pm ur addy

PM sent with address. Thanks!