PDA

View Full Version : Today, 7-9 is Independence Day in Brazil

pmarc
09-07-11, 15:18
Guys,

I would like to share with you.

This day, in 1822, Brazil became independent of Portugal, but would only become a republic in Nov 15, 1889.
For the history, wikipedia has more details that I was ever taught http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Independence

All this is to call your attention to the current political trends in Latin America, and the threat that it may pose to the US and the rest of the free world.

While I may sound apocalyptic, I am not fond of tinfoil hats.

Since the 1990, an entitiy called the 'Foro de São Paulo' (São Paulo Forum) has been active with the intent of strenghtening the left.
That movement, which wasn't reported by the media until last year, has widely suceeded on its mission of "regaining in Latin America what has been lost in Europe (and Africa).
Just see how many of current South American leaders sport some kind of leftist ideals, albeit moderate looking.

Look at the the consequences. The Drug War in Colombia pushed the FARC towards brazilian borders and jungles. The 9 years of the Workers party and previous 8 under Social Democrats had only weakened and starved our armed forces. Crime rates have only climbed since the 1980s, and are close to 50 thousand violent deaths each year (not counting traffic accidents).

Drug trafficking is rampant throughout the country, with nasty stuff such as crack cocaine, oxi-cocaine being most prevalent among the poor and homeless. As you probably imagine, the drug money goes to weapons, bribery....

The main gangs here are close associates with the FARC and some ties to Al-Qaeda were found, IIRC, even with the ETA and IRA.

An acquaitance, who is a ballistics expert with some state police shown us photos and video of a captured Barret (IIRC was an M95). According to him, intelligence was that 10 of them were smuggled in country.

So, I kid you not, there is one large criminal state forming. Some people believe that the goal is to form a soviet-type state. We are going in that direction at a great pace.

Brazilians are almost all disarmed and government is going great lengths to disarm the remainder, either by denying the required authorizations, or by making it prohibitively expensive.

The workers party is wanting to pass some law of "Social control of the Media" - Censorship. Current president Dilma is resisting, mildly. She is only a puppet. She was a bank robber in the 60s/70s, associated with some of the most vicious organizations of that time.

The current government gave harbor to a convicted italian terrorist, and refused to extradite him, breaking a treaty with Italy. Cesare Battisti is now a legal citizen of Brazil.

So, pray for us, and maybe drop some ordinance here, too.

John W
09-07-11, 17:07
Wow. What an eye opener. Its interesting that I keep hearing the economy in Brazil is growing but I didn't realize it was in the drug and criminal industries (much like the rest of the "organized" world).

Will keep you and the rest of the sensible people in my prayers.

pmarc
09-07-11, 18:35
Wow. What an eye opener. Its interesting that I keep hearing the economy in Brazil is growing but I didn't realize it was in the drug and criminal industries (much like the rest of the "organized" world).

Well, growing... yes. Growing fast? No way.

Brazil is last in the BRICS and well below world average.
IIRC, It's now the 14th economy, whereas when I was in high school it was the 8th. Only 15 years.

Will keep you and the rest of the sensible people in my prayers.

Thanks. May God have mercy on us.

pmarc
09-07-11, 18:47
http://www.videolog.tv/video.php?id=696181

Same video, on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=THSaSGquwEc

This happened yesterday on a slum that is under "occupation". In Rio de Janeiro.

The Army is there, doing police work. I can't understand how it is being done, as AFAIK, for the Armed forces to do police work inside our borders, the state has to claim incompetence or lack of means.
Then, the state police all falls under the command of the Army.

In Brazil we have 2 kinds of state police. One is civillian and does the investigations. The other is an auxiliary force to the Army, but in peace time has a separate command, nominated by the governor, and does the patrolling. Weird, and just like it sounds, does not work very well.

As for the funny name, the traffickers refer to guys from other gangs, or police as "Alemão", (German). I seem to heard that id dates from WWII times, when returning servicemen had to live in the slums due the low pay. I worked within sight of the area for 6 years.
One can see this slum from the Int'l Airport

Moose-Knuckle
09-07-11, 23:22
Good insight, thanks for sharing with us.

JDest
09-08-11, 17:26
Thanks for sharing that interesting bit of history.

matemike
09-08-11, 17:32
Good stuff.

Oh yes, I am aware of their independence and that they all took Wednesday off. Funny though, in The USA, if July 4th fell on a Wednesday it seems we'd have a Monday, Tuesday off as well; or a Thursday, Friday, what have you.
I am working out of Belem right now and my fiance is working out of Rio de Janeiro. We work on offshore drilling rigs and are able to easily avoid the "favellas" (ghettos) of Rio and Sao Paulo.

These favellas seemed to be getting stronger at the beginning of this year with all the car fires and shootings. The favella overlords, kings, whatever they're called, were even getting children to set bombs and commit killings for them. The police have seemed to get it a little more under control. But it is still suggested to not stop, in some places even against the law to STOP at a red light after dark in Rio or Sao Paulo because you are too vulnerable for violent robbery.