PDA

View Full Version : Is this grease decent enough for lube?

evenodds20
09-07-11, 18:15
Lucas Red 'N' Tacky (http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=46&catid=14&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Red%20'N'%20Tacky%20Grease)

I know James Yeager has a video on using wheel bering grease for his AR and his glocks. I was just wondering what everyone thought of this guy. he sounds like he knows his shyt. i had a tube of this stuff and was wondering if grease is ok, would this stuff suffice? sorry if its in the wrong area.

samuse
09-07-11, 18:18
It may be a little thick.

Most of that stuff is NLGI #2. Pretty thick.

I like to use Lubriplate #105 engine assembly lube. I believe it's a NLGI #0. It looks and acts just like Tetra grease.

I've always thought that a 5% moly grease would be an excellent gun lube but it's black. And it stains everything.

lamarbrog
09-07-11, 18:38
In warm weather it would probably be okay. I shy away from grease because of the issues I've seen it cause in even moderately cold weather. 55 degrees and misting... AKM failed to feed every time. AR dealt with it a little better (warmer action?), the Beretta 92FS wasn't too happy... it worked, but you could feel the action had slowed considerably. 1911 had a few stove pipes.

Not that you asked... but I use Ballistol or Motor Oil anymore... never have had a problem with either one, and they're not very expensive.

Eric
09-07-11, 19:42
Grease is for your M14, not an M16/M4/AR15. Grease thickens when cold and retains fouling. It will usually work, but there are better choices.

Iraqgunz
09-07-11, 19:47
James Yeager is the last person I would ask for advice from on anything. Get a quality weapons lubricant and use it.

evenodds20
09-07-11, 20:00
haha, i knew someone would speak up about james. i have mixed feeling about him too, but hes experienced so i took his advice into consideration. thats all. anyways. ill check out ballistol. how bout that gun butter? (another promotion of yeagers but i hear its pretty good)
Hickok45 uses ballistol religiously if im not mistaken so maybe ill go that route!

JR TACTICAL
09-07-11, 20:03
So grease is a no go on the ar platform? I only ask because I just switched over to a brand called pro gold. Its thick enough to stay I place when applied but not like ball barring grease, I used Breakfree for a long time and switched to mpro7 before I went to this stuff, should I switch back or stay the course

OMD
09-07-11, 21:29
...OK, not going to say anything about him...ditch the grease anything else would be superior. You'll find thing in between the two extremes, but anything that viscous is asking for trouble, nvm how much synthetics might be in it.

seb5
09-07-11, 21:32
Why are we still trying to reinvent the wheel? There are many excellent threads reference lube and the AR system. I keep seeing cheap, inexpensive, buy in bulk. Why? You put $1000.00, $2000.00, even more in your weapon system and then won't put $10.00 in a bottle of Slip or your choice of good lube that will last for 5,000 rounds. That adds like $2.00 per 1000 rounds of ammo. To me that's a false economy.

Bimmer
09-07-11, 21:37
Grease is for your M14, not an M16/M4/AR15.

+1

I use 15w-50 for my AR.

tb-av
09-07-11, 21:46
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83023&highlight=froglube

GermanSynergy
09-07-11, 22:15
I've had excellent luck with Enos Slide Glide on my 9mm Glocks, and have been using a light application of grease (Militec 1) on Kalashnikovs/Garands/SKS etc over the years with no issues. I have a small tub I got for free about 9 years ago and am not even close to having exhausted it.

For the AR I am using Frog Lube and am immensely pleased with it.

oldguy
09-07-11, 22:26
Gun Butter on bolt, Fp10 on remainder, works for me.

Thomas M-4
09-07-11, 23:24
Gas rings do not like grease.
Cam pin and cam pin slot would benefit from grease but......
Every time I have just greased up the cam pin the grease always migrates its way to the gas rings. So I don't bother with grease light lubricating oil works just fine.

ra2bach
09-08-11, 00:13
red lithium grease stinks. literally... it smells like what drains out of a 50,000 mile crankcase.

the amount that's in that cannister would last for several years worth of several guns but this is false economy. I buy gun lube because it's made to work on guns. I don't care that it costs more, I like my guns...

evenodds20
09-08-11, 02:53
whoa now guys. i was just asking if what i had would be good, or what. im not trying to save pennies or cut corners. in fact, i asked about a brand (gun butter) that some might think it utterly expensive for the amount you get. i mean, some people are buying a $2 bottle of engine oil because its effective. not because they cant afford the good stuff. bust their balls too if you think its for the latter. trust me. i can afford it. i just wanted to know the ultimate trick of the trade. thats all. no offense to anyone who posted, and im not connected to James Yeager so it wont hurt my feelings if yall talk about him all day long. anyways, glock uses their gold break in lube and they also sell it for routine maint. so i figured something like that might have some effect. i didnt mean to open another wound. i just wanted some real time conversation instead of archived afterthoughts.

09-08-11, 03:11
what's a good molly grease for assembly of barrels?

pmr
09-08-11, 03:44
I use Brian enos lube in medium for my 1911 40 cal, open gun and my ar's for years. No problems whatsoever and it sticks to where its suppose to.

Probably shot 150,000 rounds thru my 40 cal it's still as reliable as before:big_boss:

Iraqgunz
09-08-11, 04:37
I have been using WeaponShield for over 3 years, as well as Slip2000 EWL and now FrogLube for about 5 months. FrogLube is growing on me so much I need to inquire about becoming a stockholder.

I am using the FrogLube here when I do maintenance on the CZ99 pistols and it is doing very well. When I get home I will be doing some more unscientific FrogLube testing.

wetidlerjr
09-08-11, 06:36
I use Mobil One (with some secret sauce) and "I like my guns." and "I like my money." YMMV
(Where is "Use the Search button." and why hasn't this thread been locked ?) :D

Failure2Stop
09-08-11, 06:42
Lube?
Use whatever you like, just keep it wet.
There are some that are better than others for certain applications, but really, as long as it's wet it's going to work.