PDA

View Full Version : RRA ambi star safety, thumbs up!

chuckocaster
09-07-11, 19:00
i just got this the other day and installed it on my varmint zapper AR. i'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, i just like the way it feels on my gun. much easier for me to manipulate than the stock style safety. it has VERY positive detents with nice loud audible clicks. the only thing i don't like is that the set screw is on the inside of the gun. no big deal though as i put a drop of threadlock on it so i don't think it will come loose. the last thing i want is for a little set screw to come loose inside the internals of my gun.

Rusty_Shackleford
09-07-11, 19:19
There on all my Ar's but two and those came with factory ambi's........;)

Quiet-Matt
09-07-11, 19:27
That little set screw will be just fine with the threadlock on there. I've had one on one of my guns for a couple of years now and it has never loosened. I witness marked it when I installed it just to make sure. Mine isn't the star version, but the set screw portion is the same. It'll be fine.

duece71
09-07-11, 19:42
Yep +1.....I have one on a RRA lower that used to be an Entry Tactical. It now sports a BCM midlength LW upper.

CoryCop25
09-07-11, 19:47
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/Battle%20Arms%20Development/P1010130.jpg

chuckocaster
09-07-11, 22:03
thanks for the replies dudes. i'm still figuring out this gun, i'm more from the trad hunting camp. the whole "black gun" world is totally new to me. it's still a gun, but the ergonomics are way different from what i'm used to. it's been fun and frustrating all at the same time. maybe that's a good thing though as i've had to relearn some things.

take care everyone!

SpaceWrangler
09-07-11, 22:28
the ergonomics are way different from what i'm used to.

Heh. Ironic. I laid hands on my first AR (M16A1, serial number 4857451) as an 18-year-old Marine recruity over 25 years ago, and since then I never have gelled with the ergonomics of any other rifle. I simply like that 'flick-of-the-thumb' to disengage the AR's safety. It's all in what you're used to, obviously.

Happy carbining.

chuckocaster
09-07-11, 22:31
yep, horses for courses. not dissing on it, i'm just used to bolt rifles and such.

SpaceWrangler
09-07-11, 22:42
I put a (different brand) Ambidextrous Selector on my carbean, and I think it's much better than the original. (I'm right-handed) I flick the thumb down to disengage the safety and pull my trigger finger out and back to flick it back on. It's working well... second-nature now.

chuckocaster
09-07-11, 23:29
i think we're in the same boat for how we work the safety, that's what i've been doing on this gun now. i find my grip stays more constant and comfy.

just for grins i snapped a pic of the gun as she sits now, i also added a BCM gunfighter charging handle with the big latch. i like that also, it's very easy to grab and manipulate. it's still weird to me that most of the action to work the gun is with the left hand. i understand the thinking behind it, but i can't really get on with that way of thinking.

anyways.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/chuckocaster/newsafety.jpg

SpaceWrangler
09-07-11, 23:41
Yep, I installed a Gunfighter as well. Curiously on that subject, I had always been taught (by the military) when performing Immediate Action drills to let go of the Pistol Grip and grasp the charging handle with the first and middle fingers of the right hand. But in more modern times I've been attending classes and tactical shoots with present-day door kickers, and to a man they told me to get in the habit of racking the Charging Handle with the left hand while maintaining a right-hand grip on the Pistol Grip. So I did.

And then I started reading about Charging Handles being broken from the bending and twisting action of racking from the side instead of more evenly from the rear. The Gunfighter is stronger than stock, and the larger latch really helps out with racking with the left hand. I didn't go with the REALLY big latch, just the medium one. Me likey.