PDA

View Full Version : Left powder open

seth khan
09-07-11, 22:16
Hey guys,
I left the top of my H4895 powder jar unscrewed. The lid was on top but not screwed on tight, kind of at an angle.

Do I need to chuck the powder or is it still good?

TomMcC
09-08-11, 10:46
As long as it wasn't sitting in the sun for a year, or a flooded basement it should be fine.

jbsmwd
09-08-11, 12:19
I would get ride of it. If you had left the lid off it would have been better because then you could have figured out the surface area of the exposed portion in the container because of the constant of the opening of the cantainer. You will also need to know the humity level in the room during the time the powder (H4895) was exposed. An average should be fine but if there was spike in the humity level that needs to be taken in to consideration. How long was the air moving around, what dirrection and angle in relation to the container. Also need to think about areodynamics/air flow of other items that where near the container of powder. Again an average should be fine unless there was a spike or a fan was turned on for awhile. Now temp. this is where it gets interesting. If the temp stay above ambeint upper exposer limit, the powder will have X absoption factor. If the powder was below ambeint lower exposer limit then it will have Y absoption factor. If was in between the upper and lower ambient exposer limit you will have Z absoption factor. To get these number you have to call the Hodgdon, they may asked for the lot number.

But you said that you left the lid on the container at an angle. You might be able figure this all but it will be time consuming. I am thinking that you would be better off just getting ride of the powder in a proper and safe manner. There is a company that does this..........a screw it. Just send it to me I will get ride of it for you:D.

Your powder should be fine.

chadbag
09-09-11, 02:01
I do all kinds of bad things like leave powder in a powder measure for a year, etc. I live in a dry climate now but had these bad habits when I lived in New Hampshire, which is much more humid.

I wouldn't worry about it for short periods of lid off at least and if you are in a dry climate, even for longer terms.

OMD
09-09-11, 12:27
Acidic, sour smell is bad. No smell at all is bad. Should smell like it always did. If moisture is high it will look fuzzy, dull or clumpy. Sometimes you can feel the moisture. Any of the above means chuck. Hope that helps.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-09-11, 12:52
Should be fine in my experience I have done that before many times.