PDA

View Full Version : arm extension/sight picture question.....

jmoore
09-08-11, 13:59
As I watch people shoot in the hopes of learning things from them, I often have more questions than answers:)

Whether they shoot Weaver or Iso (I use "iso" because I have a rough time spelling isosceles:), I notice that there are considerable extremes in terms of what I will call "arm extension". Specifically - some shoot with a fair amount of flex to the elbow and the gun is, therefore, closer to their face, whereas others use a large amount of arm extension (little flex at the elbow) such that the gun is significantly farther away from the face.

Initially, I assumed this was for variations in terms of recoil management - which, in fact, may be the case for some. However, I was wondering if there was also the possibility of "compressing" the arms for fine tuning the sight picture (whether conscious or unconscious)?

As I extend my arms (I'm 6'5" with Orang arms, btw:) there is less apparent space to either side of the front sight as I center it in the rear. (I know - I should only be concerned with the fs - but that's a different discussion:) Conversely - there is more space lateral to the front sight as I compress my arms. A friend noted that as he watched me shoot - I tend to compress for close up/fast shooting, while I extend for more precise/distant shooting.

Have others, especially instructor types who watch a lot of shooters, noticed others doing this too????

TIA

john

Failure2Stop
09-08-11, 14:29
The goal is consistency in grip, so I usually don't have to deal with it with people I am working with.
Unless you are shooting at a much higher level than I am, I would recommend against the practice.