PDA

View Full Version : Dry fire time recording device???

rickp
09-08-11, 16:13
Is there a training round of training device that will make a popping sound so that during dry fire training a timer will pick up the sound and record the time?

Right now the only way i know how to measure times is with a par time, but that's not very accurate.

R.

BCmJUnKie
09-08-11, 16:23
Thats a good question. Im interested in knowing

rickp
09-08-11, 17:11
The only devices I found that could have potential for this would be this laser set. The cartridge, which shoots the laser and the target.

Right now the device only shows you where the laser hit, but someone could redesign it to act just like a timer. Instead of recording by sound it could record when the target gets bit by the laser.

This would be pretty handy tool to have. You're not only getting your times, but you're also getting round impact information.

Here's the site. http://www.laserlyte.com/new_products/New_LT-9_LT-40_LT-45.html

http://www.laserlyte.com/new_products/New_TLB-1.html

BCmJUnKie
09-08-11, 17:52
I was gonna mention the laser, but since it is not an audible sound like you asked, I kept quiet.

comprido
09-08-11, 19:40
There are some timers out of Asia designed for Airsoft. They are said to be more sensitive than the typical shot timer. I have no experience with them, though.

If I recall, they weren't that expensive. I could be wrong, though.

Backstop
09-08-11, 22:22
I hesitated on posting this because I can't duplicate at home what I do at the range, and I certainly don't want to be responsible for you buying this, then it won't work as I advertised.

As I mentioned in that other thread, I use a CED 7000, and it will register hammer strikes on Colt 6920s and 6721s.

That 7000 is a couple years old.

I'm no expert with the thing, and a friend does all the set up; I just push buttons.

The 7000 I have here at home was bought at the same time, but is almost NIB.

I could only get it to register hammer strikes while holding the 7000 no farther than about 10" from the magwell.

The other one we use at the range will register hammer strikes (as I said before) when worn around the neck, on the wrist, or held near the buttstock/shoulder intersection.

It's possible my technique was AFU as it's difficult to manipulate the 7000 and the gun in certain configurations, or maybe there's a setting I failed to set-up correctly.

Maybe you can find one to borrow, and give it a try prior to purchase.

Edit:

Something I just thought of.

I was doing this at home with an empty chamber.

At the range, I use dummy rounds - homemade and/or store bought.

Not sure if a round being in the chamber makes it louder.

rickp
09-09-11, 06:04
I hesitated on posting this because I can't duplicate at home what I do at the range, and I certainly don't want to be responsible for you buying this, then it won't work as I advertised.

As I mentioned in that other thread, I use a CED 7000, and it will register hammer strikes on Colt 6920s and 6721s.

That 7000 is a couple years old.

I'm no expert with the thing, and a friend does all the set up; I just push buttons.

The 7000 I have here at home was bought at the same time, but is almost NIB.

I could only get it to register hammer strikes while holding the 7000 no farther than about 10" from the magwell.

The other one we use at the range will register hammer strikes (as I said before) when worn around the neck, on the wrist, or held near the buttstock/shoulder intersection.

It's possible my technique was AFU as it's difficult to manipulate the 7000 and the gun in certain configurations, or maybe there's a setting I failed to set-up correctly.

Maybe you can find one to borrow, and give it a try prior to purchase.

Edit:

Something I just thought of.

I was doing this at home with an empty chamber.

At the range, I use dummy rounds - homemade and/or store bought.

Not sure if a round being in the chamber makes it louder.

Interesting. I have the CED 7000 so I'll have to try that with my M4, 1911 and M&P. I'll let you know what results I get.

Thknas

KingCobra
09-09-11, 06:14
this may be a cheap and unusable idea but..

why not use a microphone and audacity? just tape the mic near the bolt and see what you get?

Joeywhat
09-09-11, 06:21
this may be a cheap and unusable idea but..

why not use a microphone and audacity? just tape the mic near the bolt and see what you get?

What you'd have to is record a beep or buzzer sound, set to play a few seconds after starting playback. Then on another track record through the mic. You'll obviously have to manually calculate times, but it would work and be accurate.

That being said I'm sure not everyone will be able to navigate a program like Audacity.

threeheadeddog
09-09-11, 18:21
I have an app for my ipod that detects the sound of my M&P dry firing. I use it alot.

rickp
09-09-11, 18:35
threeheadeddog,
I think you are the MAN!!!!!!!!

I have that app on my iphone but never really used it becuase i have the CED7000. So I just tested it after adjusting the sesitivity and and it seems to work perfectly with my M&P and my 1911.

This is perfect for my dry firing.

Again, you da man!!!!!!!!

threeheadeddog
09-09-11, 18:38
I have a CED 7000 that I use when actually shooting. I only use the app for dry firing so I dont actually know if the app will work when shooting lol. Also you have to be real careful on what you are looking at since at that sensitivity you pick up EVERYTHING in reguards to weapon manipulation. It took me a while to get the sensitivity right and I have to change it between guns.

On a side note it is quite sad just how much the I paid for the CED considering the price of the app.

rickp
09-09-11, 18:52
yeah you're right about that.

I did notice the sensitivity is REALLY sensitive, but I'm glad this works for dry firing though. I'll just have to write down the different setting for my 1911 and M4.

Again thanks. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this info.

R.

rickp
09-09-11, 18:55
let me ask you something.

What's the focus setting for? and the echo rejection?

R.

threeheadeddog
09-09-11, 19:34
You may have another app than I do. The one I have has an icon with a bullet going from the bottom right to the upper left with IPSC in the box and is called Shot Timer Pro. I cannot find an echo or focus setting in it.

I am also a complete moron when it comes to electronics such as this. I am the only adult I know that doesnt even own a cell-phone.

rickp
09-10-11, 09:21
Ok you have the pro, mine is called just shot timer. At the center it has big red arrow going in a circle. No worries, i used it last night and it works great. It is super sensitive though, sometimes it even pickup the draw from the kydex holster.

Either way this will do nicely. Again thanks.

freeride
09-21-11, 10:43
Surefire also makes an free iPhone app that will do this.

MarkG
09-21-11, 11:30
I have the fix for you. Not only will your shot timer work but you can guage your first shot accuracy.

X-Ring Rubber Bullets (http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?userSearchQuery=X-Ring+Rubber)

The are reusable for several hundred shots. All you need is a primed case. I use my fingers and apply a small amount of Remoil to the bullet. Makes it easier to seat and reduces wear. You will want to run a patch through the barrel after 10 rounds. Set up an IPSC/USPSA target in the garage and have at it.

No, it will not cycle your slide...

MPJMP
09-21-11, 12:53
Cool! I also have the Surefire shot timer app but never thought to try it with dry fire. I will crank up the sensitivity and try it tonight!

rickp
09-21-11, 14:50
MPJMP,
It works well, but with the sensitivity all they up, I found it to be TOO sensitive. In a quiet room my Iphone picked up the pistol coming out of my Raven holster. I found that a 97% sensitivity works ok if you want it to pick up the trigger click.

R.

Zhurdan
09-29-11, 08:56
I have the fix for you. Not only will your shot timer work but you can guage your first shot accuracy.

X-Ring Rubber Bullets (http://www.midwayusa.com/Find?userSearchQuery=X-Ring+Rubber)

The are reusable for several hundred shots. All you need is a primed case. I use my fingers and apply a small amount of Remoil to the bullet. Makes it easier to seat and reduces wear. You will want to run a patch through the barrel after 10 rounds. Set up an IPSC/USPSA target in the garage and have at it.

No, it will not cycle your slide...

Was doing something similar for a while with just primed cases(no rubber bullet), until the neighbors complained about the noise coming from the garage. It'd definitely trip the shot timer for the draw to first shot time, but remember, there's bayud stuff in them there primers, so do it in a well ventilated place! Doing it with the windows open and the garage doors open will also definitely get the neighbors twitchy. I talked with a LEO buddy of mine about it, and since there's no actual projectile leaving the gun with just a primer, it's not illegal, but if people complain, then you get a nice little visit from the PD.

I wish people would just be nice and walk on over to have a chat and tell you it's loud, rather than waste LEO's time on a "noise complaint".