PDA

View Full Version : Always make it a competition...

orkan
09-08-11, 16:18
So this last weekend, Beretta, me, and another friend went out for some shooting one morning. Usually, we set up a target, and take turns sending 5-10 rounds each into the target. Realizing the uselessness of that activity, albeit fun, this time I decided to change the rules.

Each shooter gets 2 shots. First shot is worth 20 points, followup shot is worth 5. So if you hit both shots, you can score 25 points. If you only hit the 2nd shot, then you only get 5 points. You get the idea. The reason for doing this is to break up the strings. It is not hard to get on the plate, then hammer it with your remaining shots so long as you fire quickly and watch your impacts. This isn't reading the wind but rather, I like to call it - playing the wind. By doing this, we not only get to have a friendly competition, but each shooter is forced to start from a fresh condition as well. The more shooters, the longer period of time elapses before you get to fire again.

Here we are all set up for the event. It rained about an hour before setup, so the black dirt was nice and squishy. I refuse to give up my position on the ground, so I got a little muddy. The others didn't want to get muddy, so I called them names and cast doubts on their manliness. :P Beretta and I were shooting 308's, while "friend" had a 6.5x284.

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/range_report/2011/IMG_0960.JPG

We are shooting across two gravel pits. The distance ranges from about 750 - 1000yds. We set the targets up against a nice backstop at 862yds, seen here using my camera's megazoom. The targets are both MGM Auto Reset IPSC. They are 12" wide.

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/range_report/2011/IMG_0963.JPG

From the shooting position:
http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/range_report/2011/IMG_0961.JPG

Beretta, unsuppressed... so we have to put ear plugs in. He knows its his fault, and is sorry... but enjoys punishing my ears. I'm pretty sure that is what the smirk was for. :angry2: Seriously though, if his form 4 would ever show up.

http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/range_report/2011/IMG_0962.JPG

Date - 9-3-2011
Time - 9am
Temp - 65f
Pressure - 28.54
Humidity - 70f
Light - 6:00 - changing
Wind - 2:00 - 10-18mph

So, we fired 20 shots per round, and a total of four rounds. Each of us fired 80 rounds. I started off with the first 2 rounds, then beretta would fire, then friend, then I would be up for my 2 rounds again. After 20 rounds were fired, giving us 10 scores, we would take a break to BS and snack/drink.

Here's the scores:
http://www.gregd.net/pics/guns/range_report/2011/scores.jpg

I was dialed 7.7 mils for elevation, holding between 0.9 and 1.9 mils for wind. That's a fair distance for the lowly 308, and the wind was really playing hell with me. Most of my misses were JUST on one side or the other. If it were a full size IPSC plate, my percentage would have been WAY up. It was damn good practice!

I wanted to post this to encourage you guys to do the same thing. When shooting, don't just let the bullet tell you the condition, and then rattle off until you are out of ammo. Concentrate on learning something. Keeping score, will give you an honest mechanism to judge your performance. The winner gets to enjoy the lamentation of the women... while the losers get to watch. :)

It's easy to go shooting and have fun. Heck, no matter what I'm shooting, I have fun every time I'm behind the trigger. Yet it can be difficult to accurately gauge your performance from day to day. Keeping score like this will help define what you need to work on. If we had more targets set out and different ranges and in different locations, that would be even more fun and useful. Then, you could have the shooter that shoots after you, tell you what target to shoot at. You could impose time limits to take the shot, and mandatory time lapses between shooters to ensure the conditions have time to change before the next shooter fires.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you guys to give you something to do when out shooting. If you can't bring a buddy shooting with you to compete against... compete against yourself! The point is to keep track of your scores so you can have something to work toward and have an honest system to evaluate your performance.

Now get out and shoot something!

Pappabear
09-08-11, 22:36
Good post Looks like you guys had an awesome time. Mark and I have been trying to get more and more from our sessions. We have been stuck at the range due to fire restrictions in the desert, but they may be lifted now since we got some rain.

In had planned on setting up steel at 200,400,500, 600 ranges and timing how long it takes to make hits on each target. And change them up throughout the day. I like the idea of challenging yourself to get better each time out.

I have MGM targets as well, good stuff. I have poppers with springs and the plates that sit on angle.

Nice shooting by the way.

orkan
09-09-11, 14:33

Yes, MGM makes some great stuff. I ordered one of their Recon targets a few days ago. I'll be sure to post when I get the review done.

BruceLeroy
09-09-11, 17:03
Looks like a lot of fun. I always have my boys shoot against me and the clock on clay pigeons with .22's so they can get better. It really works when there is a little more pressure

markm
09-19-11, 08:33
We got out yesterday... didn't get too competetive... but we wanted to challenge ourselves to get first shot hits on unknown distance targets.

Pappa's range finder had a dead battery so I milled the targets... I prefer to do this anyway. Our first steels milled at 350 yards.

We're both somewhat new to precision Rem 700 shooting, so I was going to be heart broken if I couldn't get a first round hit at such a relatively close distance. We both got correct dope and hit the steel on our first shot.

We were also getting good hits on a 6" lolly popper that was partially obscured by desert brush. Can't wait to get back out there.