PDA

View Full Version : need help on barrel length / twist

ticktick
09-08-11, 20:32
looking on building a 223 sniper
and wondering what barrel length is too much for 223 and what twist would work dont wanna over twist

thinking of a 20inch with 1in 9 twist

any help on this would be awesome
thanks

DeltaSierra
09-08-11, 20:41
This might help...

http://m4carbine.net/search.php

johnson
09-08-11, 20:44
What will you be "sniping"?

ticktick
09-08-11, 20:46
What will you be "sniping"?

ok long gun

Seth247
09-08-11, 23:39
ok long gun

Question still stands. What will the bullets be colliding with? If varmints, such as ground hogs, you would be using light bullets and the 1-9 would probly be adequet. If you plan to shoot paper at long range you may want to use the heavier bullets to buck the wind better, or for better terminal performance on pigs, which would require a tighter twist like 1-8 or preferably 1-7 for the heaviest bullets. If your building a SHTF rifle for social work then 1-8 would be the most versatile but is hard to find so I would go with 1-7.

Eta: as for length, 18-20 is the best all around length. But for a dedicated long range only rig 22-24 to get the most velocity from your loads.

CAVDOC
09-09-11, 08:56
for long range the heavier the bullet the better- you'll want to use 75+ grain bullets. For this you want a 1/7 or 1/8 twist. Going with a flat top a4 upper designed for national match course shooting then just shaving the front sight off to eliminate it from the fov of the scope would be just the ticket. lengths beyond 20 inches really don't make a difference. As long as you are using a scope the barrel length doesn't make much matter. the longer barrel with iron sights helps becasue of sight radius.

ticktick
09-09-11, 10:26
Question still stands. What will the bullets be colliding with? If varmints, such as ground hogs, you would be using light bullets and the 1-9 would probly be adequet. If you plan to shoot paper at long range you may want to use the heavier bullets to buck the wind better, or for better terminal performance on pigs, which would require a tighter twist like 1-8 or preferably 1-7 for the heaviest bullets. If your building a SHTF rifle for social work then 1-8 would be the most versatile but is hard to find so I would go with 1-7.

Eta: as for length, 18-20 is the best all around length. But for a dedicated long range only rig 22-24 to get the most velocity from your loads.

it will be used on wild hogs and deer

JasonM
09-09-11, 10:41
it will be used on wild hogs and deer

Then you'l want heavy bullets, go with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist, 18" or 20".

Actually, on barrel length, what distance do you plan to shoot out to? because a 16 would also do fine in general and be handier to carry hunting.

munch520
09-09-11, 11:25

I'd argue 14.5-16 for best all around and 18 for purpose built as OP is trying to do.

DirectDrive
09-09-11, 11:47
I'd argue 14.5-16 for best all around and 18 for purpose built as OP is trying to do.
Yep, and I'd be looking at a 6.8SPC for hogs/deer.

usmc1371
09-09-11, 11:50
I am not trying to be ''that guy" but I gotta think 5.56 would be my last choice for shooting hogs and deer at long range. Have you thought about a .243 upper or any other 6mm upper (300 wsm:smile: maybe). Even the best heavy 5.56 bullets are what you might call lacking in energy at long range (imho long range on game 400+ yards). If your punching paper at range then 5.56 is the cheapest fun you can have.

Back on topic longer tube = more speed =more energy wich is a good thing when shooting hogs and deer.

Seth247
09-09-11, 16:04
I am not trying to be ''that guy" but I gotta think 5.56 would be my last choice for shooting hogs and deer at long range. Have you thought about a .243 upper or any other 6mm upper (300 wsm:smile: maybe). Even the best heavy 5.56 bullets are what you might call lacking in energy at long range (imho long range on game 400+ yards). If your punching paper at range then 5.56 is the cheapest fun you can have.

Back on topic longer tube = more speed =more energy wich is a good thing when shooting hogs and deer.

I think as long as you can shoot well the heavier 5.56 are okay for deer, which are pretty much the same size as people. I have no doubts 5.56 will put down people, so I'm not worried about deer. However I agree that "long range", ie, 400+ yards, is pushing it for shooting deer in the first place, let alone with a 5.56. A hunter has a responsibility to the deer to make sure the kill will be clean and fast, while plenty of shooters can easily make 400+ yard shots on deer, I think if you can't stalk a deer any closer than that then your not really being sporting with the deer and it increases the possibility of a less than clean kill.

However I would agree that if I was building a hunting rig I would probably go with a heavier bullet. Maybe 6.8 maybe 300 blk or even the big ones like 458 socom or one of the .50's. Simply because I want the deer dead as fast as possible and would like the capability to use the gun on medium sized game as well such as elk/bear and might need the longer range for mountain dwelling game.

MistWolf
09-10-11, 00:10
For hogs & deer, I would go with a lightweight 16" lightweight barrel with either a 1:7 or 1:8 twist and select a bullet of good construction. Construction is more important than weight for this application

steelonsteel
09-10-11, 10:29
I'd also recomend the 6.8 or even better yet the 6.5 grendel - that is a pretty awsome cartridge.