PDA

View Full Version : Painted Glocks, let's see 'em

Cerberus
09-08-11, 20:40
I'm strongly considering painting my Glock. Still debating whether to do this with rattle can or order up one of the "professional" finishes. So inspire me if you got one. Also what is the best way to improve the durability of spray paint.

xcibes
09-08-11, 22:50
I like the cerakote finish I saw on another thread here. I might do this on my G19. no spray can for my Glocks.

RagweedZulu
09-08-11, 23:31
I might advise aginst using the ol' rattle can. It will chip and wear too easily. For a very reasonable price, I had a guy in Ohio Duracoat two of mine. I sent him the frames only and they were returned within the week. I think they ran like $40 each but the work was amazing. Only the frame was painted, not the locking block or other parts inside. I had a G22 done in desert tan and a G21 done in a dark hunter green.

I'll post pics soon when I can figure the whole system out. His name is Adam Pennington at apcustomfinishes.com.http://apcustomfinishes.com

RagweedZulu
09-08-11, 23:37
Real Good Me! I just tried the link I recommended. Evident ally he doesn't have that domain name anymore. Oh well, just look into Cerakote or Duracoat. Both are inexpensive options that will wear MUCH longer than spray paint.

one
09-09-11, 01:27
I had a G19 frame duracoated a ways back. It didn't hold up worth a damn. Holster wear was an early marker and so was the light rail where I took my X300 on and off.

I don't know if others are having better luck with that stuff or not.

RagweedZulu
09-09-11, 08:56
My Duracoat shows very light wear in the areas it contacts the holster. The only other spot is a GD chip where I dropped my G22 right after it was painted.

A friend painted his Glock, slide and all. Didn't work. It was like painting a non-stick fry pan and expecting it to stick.

I stippled and painted a co-worker's G23 with Aervoe, the military spec spray paint. It's holding up nicely and can be retouched if it ever needs it.

MrMiller
09-09-11, 09:05
A friend painted his Glock, slide and all. Didn't work. It was like painting a non-stick fry pan and expecting it to stick.

Probably a surface prep or paint choice issue.

Painted a hundred plus Glock and Glock replacement slides ,and a few of my frames, no issues at all?