PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote vs Bluing, advice?

jtsikes0204
09-09-11, 00:26
I have been thinking about rebluing some of my stuff,(1911), and not sure about cerakote....just never came in contact with it. any suggestions?

MrMiller
09-09-11, 09:02
Are all of the originals blued? Besides the 1911 are the rest of these pistols also?

Is there some value to restoring these guns to their original finish that would be compromised by painting them?

Certainly Cerakote is a more robust finish than the standard caustic blue in terms of corrosion resistance, but it sort of depends on what you want out of this?

Probably more detail in terms of models, age, your goals, etc. would help in providing better feedback on this.

kartoffel
09-09-11, 12:58
If it's a BBQ gun or safe queen that's already blued, you're probably better off leaving it blued.

If it's something you use regularly and don't care if the resale value goes down, then by all means cerakote it! It's a much tougher finish.

ilsrwy27
09-10-11, 06:42
I was looking into refinishing a slide and CCR offers an alternative called 'Parkerize Plus'. Worth looking into for a 1911 IMO. http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/hg.htm