PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Shotgun?

jtsikes0204
09-09-11, 00:30
I have been thinking of purchasing a tactical shotgun somewhere in the $500-$600 range......need some suggestions...and please explain why your pick would be ....your pick.

masakari
09-09-11, 00:36
Mossberg 590A1: reliable, robust, versatile.

BCmJUnKie
09-09-11, 00:41
An 870 or Moss 500. They are pump, reliable and under 6 so you can get a light and mount.

Backstop
09-09-11, 17:02
I own a Mossberg 590DA1 model #53663 because it has:

1. Modified choke - I like the tight pattern.

2. Ghost ring sights - I like to aim accurately, especially if I have a slug in there.

3. Tang safety - I'd rather use my thumb on the safety than my trigger finger.

4. Double action trigger - the long double action pull negates me having to use the safety. IMO this system is fairly close to a revolver. Details here, page 6: http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/590DA1.pdf

5. Pump - I've never seen weak rounds malf in a pump gun, but I have seen them malf in a semi.

All that said, it doesn't figure into my home defense plan, except as a backup to 3 ARs or as a give-away.

As that model is no longer in production, your choice would be to find one used.

Otherwise, I'd get a 590 with ghost ring sights and modified choke.

If that configuration can't be found, I consider the ghost ring sights as must-have.

Good luck.

BCmJUnKie
09-09-11, 19:22
Thats good advice. Ive only shot 590's, Ive never owned one. Also shot alot of semi's, benelli's and such.

I have had a couple malfunctions on a semi, I do NOT like clearing them and ripping the whole damn gun apart to clear it.

Thats why I prefer pump over semi

Backstop
09-10-11, 10:07
Here's Mossbergs shotguns: http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=5&display=specs

snake eater 332
09-10-11, 11:53
Mossberg 590A1: reliable, robust, versatile.

I own a Mossberg 590DA1 model #53663 because it has:

1. Modified choke - I like the tight pattern.

2. Ghost ring sights - I like to aim accurately, especially if I have a slug in there.

3. Tang safety - I'd rather use my thumb on the safety than my trigger finger.

4. Double action trigger - the long double action pull negates me having to use the safety. IMO this system is fairly close to a revolver. Details here, page 6: http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/590DA1.pdf

5. Pump - I've never seen weak rounds malf in a pump gun, but I have seen them malf in a semi.

All that said, it doesn't figure into my home defense plan, except as a backup to 3 ARs or as a give-away.

As that model is no longer in production, your choice would be to find one used.

Otherwise, I'd get a 590 with ghost ring sights and modified choke.

If that configuration can't be found, I consider the ghost ring sights as must-have.

Good luck.

+1 for Mossberg 590A1 models

My personal favorite is my 14 inch barreled 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 shotgun with ghost ring sights, a Hogue Youth stock, a Surefire 621FGA Forend Weaponlight, Blackhawk front sling adapter, Specter Gear 3-point tactical sling, and 3GunGear.com 7-Shell Side Saddle, which has a nylon side saddle with elasticized shell holders backed with velcro that affixes to a base on the shotgun receiver. This side saddle carrier allows single-hand removal and attachment so that additional side saddle carriers can be carried on tactical vests or plate carriers and your ammo source can be easily replenished. This shotgun has an overall length (OAL) of 35 inches, which is a nice compact size for manuevering inside a house or building.

http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc3a7e-96ad-be67.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/aefc3a7e-96e1-dfbe.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Mossberg 590A1 for tactical use and/or HD, if you choose a shotgun for HD. My PD carries 14" Mossberg 590A1's for duty use in our cruisers. We used to carry the Remington 870's for duty, but we switched to the Mossbergs more than 10 years ago and I'm not sure why we did so.

However, I prefer the Mossberg to the Remington...to me the Mossberg seems more sturdy and solid and I like the placement of the safety better with a rifle stock. If you're dead set on using a pistol grip, then the Remington 870 may be better due to its safety location, but I'm not a big fan of pistol grips on a shotgun.

I do prefer pump shotguns over semis, largely due to reliablity in feeding ammo over the semi in most instantces. I know from personal use that my Mossberg eats everything I've ever fed her! She's a nasty beast!

I'd also like to add that I strongly believe that a light source should be MANDATORY for any tactical or HD weapon, so as to positively identify your potential target! Lest it be a family member, such as a teen son/daughter sneaking back into the house...that could be extremely tragic.

aziator
09-10-11, 11:57
I have an 870 and love it. I added a Vang Comp barrel and a Mesa Tactical/Eindine stock assembly. I am thinking aout getting a semi for 3 gun matches but for everyday, does what I need it to, my 870 is my go to.

Backstop
09-10-11, 14:27
My personal favorite is my 14 inch barreled 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1 shotgun with ghost ring sights...

Nice.

Just curious:

Is that a cylinder choke?

Have you fired any Fed LE132 00 buckshot, and if so, what kind of patterns did you get?

From my modified choke 590, I get fist sized patterns out to 12 or 15 yds. It's been over a year since I shot the thing; I need to drag it out and re-confirm.

Thanks.

Iraq Ninja
09-10-11, 15:18
I have an 870 and love it. I added a Vang Comp barrel and a Mesa Tactical/Eindine stock assembly.

Those stocks do jam, and when they do you will not be able to work the gun.

I have recently spent more time with my old Vietnam era Ithaca model 37. Very lightweight and that is a big plus for me. The bottom ejection and loading may be a problem for some though. Going to add a duckbill to it for fun...

Backstop
09-10-11, 15:52
Kinda OT, but FYI.

I have recently spent more time with my old Vietnam era Ithaca model 37.

Cliffs notes:

I wanted to rebarrel my dad's 37 for him, and tracked down Les Hovencamp here: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=55219.

He used to work in the Ithica factory, and replaced the barrel with a factory one. He did a great job, and I'd use him again if needed.

If you can't view that thread for some reason, here's his contact info:

Diamond Gunsmithing
211 Dey Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 273-4510
email:diamondgunsmithing@a-znet.com

Be advised, that thread and contact info is from August 2005.

aziator
09-10-11, 16:31
Those stocks do jam, and when they do you will not be able to work the gun.

I don't follow how I wouldn't be able to work the gun. The buffer tube has it's movement under recoil. Even if it was completely rigid I would still be able to pump the gun. The stock itself it just a Magpul MOE. Admittedly I probably only have between 600-650 rounds total through the gun but the only issues have been operator error (short stroking when shooting fast in matches). If you could shed some light I would appreciate it, just want to know what might happen.

Iraq Ninja
09-10-11, 17:37
I don't follow how I wouldn't be able to work the gun. The buffer tube has it's movement under recoil. Even if it was completely rigid I would still be able to pump the gun. The stock itself it just a Magpul MOE. Admittedly I probably only have between 600-650 rounds total through the gun but the only issues have been operator error (short stroking when shooting fast in matches). If you could shed some light I would appreciate it, just want to know what might happen.

My bad, I was thinking of the Knoxx stock, which is different from what you have. The Knoxx can jam on recoil if junk gets into the stock.

aziator
09-11-11, 00:16
No worries, I thought you might be talking about the knoxx but wanted to ask. I have heard of some crazy failures on guns. The Eindine buffer is amazing and coupled with the VC barrel my wife can shoot full power loads all day with no issue.

billybob19606
09-11-11, 19:47
What's the best choke for a tactical shotgun? say buckshot or something...cylinder or I/c?