PDA

View Full Version : Opinons on RRA Lowers?

Buddha
08-16-06, 23:12
What is the general consensus on the quality of RRA lowers. I bought a like new RRA Entry Tactical a few months ago without doing enough research. (It was a good deal that I stumbled upon.) After doing some reading, I've found that RRA is considered a lower quality rifle (2nd Tier). From what I've read this is mainly due to issues with the upper (dremeled feed ramps, 4140 barrel steel, etc.) not much is said either positive or negative about the lower. I've been considering purchasing a "Tier 1" mid-length upper (probably a BCM) to mate with the RRA lower. Would I be better served with a Tier 1 lower ( to avoid the "polishing a turd" effect) or is the RRA lower of sufficient quality? Thanks for your input.

Cold
08-16-06, 23:31
I have had several lowers, RRA, Bushmaster, Noveske, Ameetec Arms and Stag.

I have never had an issue with the RRA lower, the upper on my entry tac, failed me during a night course I took 2 years ago this august. I subsequently had to use another shooters extra AR to finish out the course. I replaced/fixed what was the issue in my RRA entry tac and sold it. The lower itself, worked fine while I had it. Just my personal example.

blackwind
08-19-06, 13:20
I have three RRA lowers. Never had an issue and only complaint is with some uppers they are a bit "tight."

LITHPD101
08-19-06, 14:08
I have built a few rifles off of RRA lowers with no problems

VA_Dinger
08-19-06, 14:13
I've never owned one myself, but of the dozen or so I've handled & shot they seemed damn near perfect.

TWR
08-19-06, 14:29
I have 2 RRA lowers and they work as good as my Colt but they do have a few "differences". First is they are a tighter fit than some others and yes in my opinion if you have to use a hammer and punch to get it apart it's too tight. The other is they use locktite on their receiver tubes (collapsable stock) my 2 had blue locktite and only on the castle nut but my buddy's 2 had red locktite on the nut and into the receiver threads. It made him a little uneasy trying to switch out the tubes for mil-spec tubes. The tech at RRA said they didn't want their stuff to come loose but they did or are switching to blue locktite. Other than that I have no complaints.

Kisara
08-19-06, 16:02
Read the bottom reply in this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=718

It wouldn't be the first time I've heard about that problem with their lowers, or their service.