PDA

View Full Version : Credit card info stolen.

dialM4murder
11-10-07, 05:52
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53019

Hootiewho
11-10-07, 11:38
If you are talking about Denny's Guns (GTS), they are a good company. What happened to that guy happened to my when I bought something from SKD tactical. Took my card for about 1100 bucks. FBI got involved because so many people got scamed. After about a week of talking with my bank, they covered the bogus charges and turned it over to the FEDS. THis shit happens unfortunately. I was told they thought it was Latino gangs who did the hacking and they spend the money at front companies. Mine was a Salvage yard in a mostly latino part of Miami. What dealings I have had with Denny have been good, so don't entirely blame him.

dialM4murder
11-10-07, 11:41
If you are talking about Denny's Guns (GTS), they are a good company. What happened to that guy happened to my when I bought something from SKD tactical. Took my card for about 1100 bucks. FBI got involved because so many people got scamed. After about a week of talking with my bank, they covered the bogus charges and turned it over to the FEDS. THis shit happens unfortunately. I was told they thought it was Latino gangs who did the hacking and they spend the money at front companies. Mine was a Salvage yard in a mostly latino part of Miami. What dealings I have had with Denny have been good, so don't entirely blame him.

No not blaming the company at all. It seems the site isn't secure however.

VA_Dinger
11-10-07, 11:52
FYI - Let's be VERY carefull in this thead. Denny (GTS) has a long history of being one of the best dealers around. Just becuase one scumbag found a way to steal/scam the system should not be blamed on GTS. I'm sure Denny will handle it and get his house in order very quickly.

dialM4murder
11-10-07, 12:04
Its not GTS's fault the site was hacked. Just a general warning to be careful with internet purchases. Look for the security seal like Bravo has.

Mods: feel free to delete if you feel this thread is defamatory to the vendor in anyway.

Hootiewho
11-10-07, 12:19
Denny is good people. When my card got ripped off as mentioned above from SKD, I tried to get SKD to give me some kind of discount for the fact that I went for a week without that money. All I wanted was a little bit off on a CIRAS or something, but they would have no part in it. They might be a good company, but I don't buy from them anymore. I know it wasn't entirely their fault, but it would have went a long way in future business from me to give me a 10 or 15% discount for my troubles. I am still waiting to hear back from the FBI if they found out anything on the ID theif. It is really bad that there are people out there who spend every single day trying to figure out ways to skam people out of their money. Always be careful, and if yuo can call and order by phone do it. It is just most of the people who sell the kind of stuff we all buy, don't do phone orders.

DrMark
11-10-07, 13:27
Mods: feel free to delete if you feel this thread is defamatory to the vendor in anyway.

This thread serves a good purpose; it's a heads-up.

My experience with Denny/GTS mirrors pretty much everyone elses - he's a stand-up guy who runs a first-rate business.

The thread title would cause the typical reader to think there might be a problem with Denny or his business ethics. I'm not a moderator, but perhaps you might consider changing you thread title to "Card info stolen" and indicate in the initial post that is appears related to a transaction with GTS. Just a thought.

M4arc
11-10-07, 13:35
Please modify the title because it doesn't accurately reflect what the issue is. I briefly read the thread and I didn't see where it was confirmed that the CC info was lifted from Denny's.

Treehopr
11-10-07, 14:39
Just to add to what others have said, Denny is a stand up guy and if anything does get tied to GTS' CC system I'm sure he'll make it right.

A couple of years ago I tried to order a BCM upper ($419) off his website, he called me the next day to tell me that his website didn't update in time to say it was out of stock. He graciously offered me an LMT upper ($485) for the same price as the BCM.

ddemis
11-10-07, 21:01
In all honesty don't blame the web site as scam artists sit at a computer night and day looking for ways to hack and steal info. I do alot of security and P.I. work looking for these kind of people and it never ceases to amaze me the ideas they can come up with to steal your money.

rhino
11-11-07, 14:20
Those of you with Discover cards might consider using secrure numbers for your transactions online and over the telephone. They are unique numbers for each merchant that you can generate on the Discover web site that are linked to your account. No one on the other end ever knows your actual account number, and if the secure number is stolen, it cannot be used anywhere else (and which number is stolen will let you know where the thief got it).

I use them almost exclusively for my transactions now.

ddemis
11-11-07, 14:37
Thats good advice Rhino, thank you. I will check and see when I can start using a number like that.

Bigun
11-12-07, 18:43
It was my info that was stolen. I do not hold Denny or GTS responsible for the shitheads actions. I did send them a E-mail notifying GTS of what had happened, But was civil about it just passing on the information. I have delt with GTS in the past and probably will again. They have always treated me right. My original post was right after being informed that the scuzbag had run up a huge for me amount of money on internet purchases. The bank assures me that I will not be held responsible but even if I'm charged a small fee for the service I wont mind. Gaurd your info folks. :(

Voodoochild
11-12-07, 20:05
Same thing happened to me a while back with Crye when they had their stuff jacked. I know SKD Tac had the same thing happen a while back as well.

Joseywales
11-12-07, 20:38
First piece of advice: Lifelock.com

Second: In many states you are not responsible for any unauthorized credit card purchases over $50. Check your state laws. If you file a police report and follow the procedures, you may not have to pay 1c of it.

Third: Any portion you are responsible for you should write off on your taxes as a loss from theft.

Fourth: Only use one credit card for on-line purchases. Do not use that card for anything else. Make sure the credit card company does not let the credit line exceed $500. You can also ask for them to call you with any purchases over $500 if the credit limit is $1500.

This is one of the reasons why I use bank certified funds checks. They don't have any of your account info on it and your name doesn't end up in a database with financial info attached.

f.2
11-12-07, 20:56
First piece of advice: Lifelock.com

I checked into life lock and found it to be a racket. They will gladly take your money though. Most of the stuff they do for you you can do yourself (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=86123#post86123).

Bigun
11-12-07, 23:14
I just checked GTS's site and apparently they do listen to their customers as they have upgraded the security on their site. :D