PDA

View Full Version : Here's my M4, don't laugh at me U jerks :)

WillBrink
09-09-11, 09:26
That's it. As stated various times, my time with fire arms is generally focused on not sucking with a hand gun, so I'm no BTDT M4 guy.

The optics are just junk I put on for 100 yard plinking and small game, it's not on the gun normally. I just stick to iron sites normally.

It's a BM that has been perfectly reliable under the conditions I use it, but had I known then what I know now due to time spent on M4C, would not have been my first choice.

Not pre ban as you can see. :eek:

I now have a single point sling on it also, which is easy on/off but like all slings, +/- to it.

Wouldn't mind more course time, but not common around here, and time $$$ spent, as a civi who's far more likely to need a handgun, that's where my focus has been.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/M4Heaven.jpg

Failure2Stop
09-09-11, 09:35
Buddy,
We have got to get you out with the long gun.
:D

markm
09-09-11, 09:39
We have problems..... :eek:

Littlelebowski
09-09-11, 09:41
Time for a carbine class.

WillBrink
09-09-11, 09:41
Buddy,
We have got to get you out with the long gun.

Guilty as charged :dance3:

That's my basic SHTF gun I take out of the safe 1-2 per year, put enough rnds through it to make sure it's in working order, clean, put back in safe, gun.

This area is very scary-black-rifle-unfriendly BTW.

QuietShootr
09-09-11, 09:45

Paging Dr. F2S to the ER STAT

Lay still, dude, you're gonna be all right.

Give me 10mg of flattop, 4 of Aimpoint, and push a liter of MPI, we're gonna save this guy.

Littlelebowski
09-09-11, 09:48
No one suggested he take that to a Vickers Carbine 1 class, I'm surprised.

Doc Safari
09-09-11, 09:49

That's my basic SHTF gun I take out of the safe 1-2 per year, put enough rnds through it to make sure it's in working order, clean, put back in safe, gun.

Sorry, misread your post. I thought at first you wrote that you shoot 1-2 rounds per year. I was thinking that's the only way a Bushmaster runs reliably.

WillBrink
09-09-11, 09:50

In my defense, I have had access to all manner of good stuff when training with those with access to "the good stuff" so it's not like I have been without. I could shoot their full auto Colt Commando's, M4s, MP5's etc, using their ammo, or my semi auto BM with fixed comp on it using my ammo...:secret:

But no, my own set up is kinda sad.

WillBrink
09-09-11, 09:54
Sorry, misread your post. I thought at first you wrote that you shoot 1-2 rounds per year. I was thinking that's the only way a Bushmaster runs reliably.

Wise ass. I'm not going to me some BM defender, but I have had some high rnd count sessions with it without problems, but that's, as you know, n = 1 experience. I don't know how many total rnds it has, and it has been a safe queen since then more or less other then general reliability check of 200-300rnd a few times per year since then.

Littlelebowski
09-09-11, 09:54
Sell it, buy a DDM4 or 6920, add handguard of your choice, SF G2, Tango Down stubby, Aimpoint Pro or H1, and Vickers sling.

Take a carbine class.

Doc Safari
09-09-11, 09:56
Wise ass. I'm not going to me some BM defender, but I have had some high rnd count courses with it without problems, but that's, as you know, n = 1 experience. I don't know how many total rnds it has, and it has been a safe queen since then more or less other then general reliability check of 200-300rnd a few times per year since then.

Just some good-natured ribbing. :D

I have a compulsion to diss them at every opportunity because I couldn't get one to work in the Clinton years, and I don't think I've ever known anyone who's Shrubmaster runs reliably.

If yours does...good on ya. :cool:

Failure2Stop
09-09-11, 09:59

No balls :jester:

jonconsiglio
09-09-11, 09:59
Admitting you have a problem is the first step.. We're here to help you through the rest! ;)

Littlelebowski
09-09-11, 10:00
I think Larry Vickers would respect you if you showed up with that Bushmaster as presently configured at his carbine class. Kick some ass with it, keep an open mind, and be ready to learn!

WillBrink
09-09-11, 10:02
Sell it, buy a DDM4 or 6920, add handguard of your choice, SF G2, Tango Down stubby, Aimpoint Pro or H1, and Vickers sling.

Take a carbine class.

The above is no doubt sound advice. It's on the list for sure. However, current personal focus, time, $$$ per my perceived needs = handgun courses, ammo, etc.

But I'm gonna be here getting advice on all things M4 when I can upgrade/focus on that for sure! :D

WillBrink
09-09-11, 10:05
I think Larry Vickers would think you're a schmuck you if you showed up with that Bushmaster as presently configured at his carbine class.

Fixed it for you. :D

C4IGrant
09-09-11, 10:26

That's because that gun would never make it. LAV would have him crying and begging for mercy before the first round was ever fired!

C4

usmc1371
09-09-11, 12:02
Look at the bright side. It looks "tacticool" so I am sure you could sell it for enough to buy the AR you really want deep down inside. Not every one reads M4C, there is about a million members a few clicks away who would be all over that thing like stripes on a skunk. Or just keep shooting it till it dies and then get another lets say better AR.;)

Lincoln7
09-09-11, 12:20
It's easy to spot an overgassed AR when they have a buttstock pad on the back... If you are intent on keeping it, at least spring for an H3 buffer to slow things down abit.

Biggy
09-09-11, 12:28
I got to say I started out with a Bushy too, but never did the high power scope attached to the carry handle trip. Before I got educated and born again I became an expert with clearing bolt over base malfunctions.

DirectDrive
09-09-11, 12:30
No worries, a Mass. State Trooper would get a big chuckle out of that rig :D

WillBrink
09-09-11, 12:54
It's easy to spot an overgassed AR when they have a buttstock pad on the back... If you are intent on keeping it, at least spring for an H3 buffer to slow things down abit.

I got to say I started out with a Bushy too, but never did the high power scope attached to the carry handle trip. Before I got educated and born again I became an expert with clearing bolt over base malfunctions.

I will add, in my own defense, most of what's on that gun was given to me (the pad, silly optics, forgrip, light, rail system, etc) by various vendors while at various shows. The goofy optics not withstanding, the rest seemed "do no harm first" approach to a basic SHTF home defense gun.

No, I wouldn't have gotten the BM at the time had I known better, but I also got it as dealer costs, again, from a vendor at a show/pal of mine.

As mentioned, I stick to iron sites currently. Put that pic up as I knew you all would get a kick out of it. Here's how it currently sits in safe:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1050994.jpg

TriviaMonster
09-09-11, 15:05
Stop apologizing for your weapon.

When I was 16 and learning to drive, I had an old civic. By learning to drive I don't mean going to the grocery store trying to stay in my lane, I mean learning to drive for scca, autocross, and whatever else I could get into. It wasn't fast, it wasn't glorious, but Damnit I learned all aspects of car control in that stupid thing. My teacher was a friend of my dad who had been racing for 30+ years. That old civic wasn't race worthy on any level but it taught me how to drive, how to fix all sorts of things, and what I really wanted out of a serious machine. After I got into a real car(1999 camaro, full lightweight treatment, forged 347 bottom end on worked ls6 heads, slicks) I was instantly at home.

I never made any apologies for my civic. Do what I did, wear out that bushmaster, sell it, and put the money towards a serious black rifle.
Or...keep your civic. Beat the crap out of it, maintain it, but don't bother showing up at Virginia International Raceway with it.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Aray
09-09-11, 17:16
I would chip in for the LAV class if someone video's it. As long as I can hear what he says.

BKennedy
09-09-11, 17:22

Not to speak for Will but I have a buttpad on mine so that it won't slip around on my nylon, not because it's overgassed. Could be the issue.

orionz06
09-09-11, 17:27
Needs a trigger upgrade. :jester:

WillBrink
09-09-11, 18:27
Not to speak for Will but I have a buttpad on mine so that it won't slip around on my nylon, not because it's overgassed. Could be the issue.

Nah, just put on there 'cause it was given to me (see above comments on that), and as it didn't interfere with function, I figure WTF, and put it on. I can't say if it's over gassed, but didn't add it due to recoil per se.

kaltesherz
09-09-11, 19:10

At least it doesn't have an EOTech...

orionz06
09-09-11, 19:12
I would pitch for part of the class if someone loaned him a piston conversion too.

FChen17213
09-09-11, 19:17
You forgot to add the BAD lever, MS2 sling, AFG. Some generic 40 round mags with stretched feed lips wouldn't hurt either.

strongisland
09-09-11, 19:18
Iron sights for home defense? Unless you sleep with all the lights on why not go for the faster red-dot sight? I'm guessing you're LE and assigned to a special unit, yes? You probably have access to the best in AR15 weaponry and get more trigger time than a lot of people in this forum. Was your post solely for humor or is there something else?

Scoby
09-09-11, 20:30
I can't help but think you've suckered some with this post.
Nice to see some levity on the site.

ra2bach
09-09-11, 20:37
I will add, in my own defense, most of what's on that gun was given to me (the pad, silly optics, forgrip, light, rail system, etc) by various vendors while at various shows. The goofy optics not withstanding, the rest seemed "do no harm first" approach to a basic SHTF home defense gun.

No, I wouldn't have gotten the BM at the time had I known better, but I also got it as dealer costs, again, from a vendor at a show/pal of mine.

As mentioned, I stick to iron sites currently. Put that pic up as I knew you all would get a kick out of it. Here's how it currently sits in safe:

it's got a commercial receiver extension, don't it?...

Ed L.
09-09-11, 20:49
I believe Will lives in MA, which may restrict his choices in firearms--I don't remember what their restrictions are specific to ARs, but I do know that they have absurd restrictions on everything else. He may be trapped into pre-ban type guns and not be able to get something more modern.

Having said all of that, he really needs to do something--many things with that gun if he plans to keep it. Replacing the bolt & bolt carrier with a BCM or LMT would be a nice start, as would changing the buffer.

Sorry, but given the multitude of issues with that gun, I would not depend upon that for a SHTF longarm.

Ed L.
09-09-11, 21:09
I would chip in for the LAV class if someone video's it. As long as I can hear what he says.

That would make a great episode of Larry's new show, TacTV.

Abraxas
09-09-11, 21:32
Paging Dr. F2S to the ER STAT

Lay still, dude, you're gonna be all right.

Give me 10mg of flattop, 4 of Aimpoint, and push a liter of MPI, we're gonna save this guy.

Love it

WillBrink
09-10-11, 08:24
I believe Will lives in MA, which may restrict his choices in firearms--

That would be an understatement my friend! Liberty began and ended in MA! :(

I don't remember what their restrictions are specific to ARs, but I do know that they have absurd restrictions on everything else. He may be trapped into pre-ban type guns and not be able to get something more modern.

Essentially true.

Having said all of that, he really needs to do something--

Like move the fu%$ out of MA? :dirol:

many things with that gun if he plans to keep it. Replacing the bolt & bolt carrier with a BCM or LMT would be a nice start, as would changing the buffer.

Sorry, but given the multitude of issues with that gun, I would not depend upon that for a SHTF longarm.

Fair enough. I'd prefer to sell it and just start fresh then add to it, but like many, $$$ at a premium at the moment.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 08:27
That would make a great episode of Larry's new show, TacTV.

If all want to chip in to get me to LAVs course, I'm game. I'll even put the optics back on. :D

WillBrink
09-10-11, 08:29
Stop apologizing for your weapon.

Not apologizing, just 'splaining it's existence. :big_boss:

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-10-11, 08:29
Will the title of you thread was just awsome it still cracking me up :dance3:

WillBrink
09-10-11, 08:33
Will the title of you thread was just awsome it still cracking me up :dance3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84VqqCPI7w

:lol::lol::lol:

newyork
09-10-11, 08:43
That would be an understatement my friend! Liberty began and ended in MA! :(

Essentially true.

Like move the fu%$ out of MA? :dirol:

Fair enough. I'd prefer to sell it and just start fresh then add to it, but like many, $$$ at a premium at the moment.

Are your laws any worse than the ones here in NY? I didn't think they were but could be wrong. You can put together a BCM, DD, LMT etc to be compliant with a lite effort

CAVDOC
09-10-11, 08:46
it is easy for people to forget just 15 years ago the only choices in AR's was Colt Bushmaster olympic and Armalite.
If your bushmaster runs, no big deal. I have seen olympic arms guns run just fine while some "high end" guns choke.
One thing I've found is that AR guys seem to be a bit snobbish and have flavor of the week mentality.
what I mean by this, years ago BM was considered one of the best. then the next generation of ar's came out and they were suddenly proclaimed junk. Then a new gen came out and the second gen guns were junk etc.
All of a sudden DD and BCM are top tier. Next year something else will come out and knock them off the top.
I still have the first AR I built after getting out of college over 20 years ago. Built on a Essential arms lower- some say jumk but it has not given me any issue in 20 years with at least 50 k down the pipe (barrel was replaced once.)

WillBrink
09-10-11, 09:05
Are your laws any worse than the ones here in NY? I didn't think they were but could be wrong. You can put together a BCM, DD, LMT etc to be compliant with a lite effort

You are probably correct. I know MA laws as they apply to handguns much better then I do on long guns. Something I'll look into at some point in the near future.

steelonsteel
09-10-11, 09:39
I think Rob S. had a post about the "oh no I bought a..." mentality. Seems like it boiled down to if you've already bought it, then check it out and make it the ebst you can. If it runs, then it;s not worth killing yourself over - and you can always do a Colt or a BCM next time.

Yours should be fine for fun shoots I would think. Ultimately, if YOU like it it, isn't that all that matters? not what a bunch of guys on the internet who you'll never meet think?

WillBrink
09-10-11, 10:04
I think Rob S. had a post about the "oh no I bought a..." mentality. Seems like it boiled down to if you've already bought it, then check it out and make it the ebst you can. If it runs, then it;s not worth killing yourself over - and you can always do a Colt or a BCM next time.

That sums up my attitude at this time. Not going to sweat it honestly.

Yours should be fine for fun shoots I would think. Ultimately, if YOU like it it, isn't that all that matters? not what a bunch of guys on the internet who you'll never meet think?

I'm happy to take the good nature ribbing, and advice from those who know far more about the platform then I do, and put it to good use when the time comes.

For my uses, currently, it's fine. But, that may change in the future, and "armed" with the good info I will be. :cool:

Littlelebowski
09-10-11, 10:22
Lose the scope and push the VFG out a bit. Then see if there's an fellow forum member nearby to check staking of the gas key and the extractor spring setup. Also the buffer weight needs to be checked.

I may have an extractor upgrade kit laying around......

Cagemonkey
09-10-11, 10:37
Put it on consignment at Four Seasons in Woburn and have Carl order you a Colt 6400/M4 carbine.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 10:45
Lose the scope

Brother, scope is never on the gun as indicated above via pic, etc. Scope was on there for the LOLs, and stuck on there for occasional small game and such as indicated. It's just iron sites for now (see above pic)

and push the VFG out a bit.

I do have short arms and prefer the pulled in tight secure sense that position gives when moving around the house, have moved it back and forth, and am perfectly open to altering it's position for optimal use.

Advice I generally got was "put it where you find you perform best with it for your needs, body etc" so that's where it sits, but again, open to moving it to the 'bestest' location.

Then see if there's an fellow forum member nearby to check staking of the gas key and the extractor spring setup. Also the buffer weight needs to be checked.

I may have an extractor upgrade kit laying around......

Thanx for the advice. Anyone within reasonable driving of Metro West Boston area, who has the 411 on the above, would be good to have that all squared away. I know plenty of pistol smiths, and wide range of LEOs who pretty much hand their M4 over to dept armorer for any work/up keep required, at least in my immediate circle locally.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 10:50
Put it on consignment at Four Seasons in Woburn and have Carl order you a Colt 6400/M4 carbine.

Colt would have to have no flash suppressor to be "MA approved" no? Can't have a folding stock either, and other BS I recall. Need to look into laws on long guns in MA, but that's the BS I recall.

rushca01
09-10-11, 11:01
Colt would have to have no flash suppressor to be "MA approved" no? Can't have a folding stock either, and other BS I recall. Need to look into laws on long guns in MA, but that's the BS I recall.

The Colt 6400 is a "ban area" Colt, so it should meet your requirements ie..muzzle break, fixed stock, no bayonet lug.

I have several BCM extractor upgrade kits, pm if you need one.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 11:10
The Colt 6400 is a "ban area" Colt, so it should meet your requirements ie..muzzle break, fixed stock, no bayonet lug.

I have several BCM extractor upgrade kits, pm if you need one.

Awesome, thanx for the info/offer

MistWolf
09-10-11, 11:24
That's it. As stated various times, my time with fire arms is generally focused on not sucking with a hand gun, so I'm no BTDT M4 guy.

The optics are just junk I put on for 100 yard plinking and small game, it's not on the gun normally. I just stick to iron sites normally.

It's a BM that has been perfectly reliable under the conditions I use it, but had I known then what I know now due to time spent on M4C, would not have been my first choice.

I now have a single point sling on it also, which is easy on/off but like all slings, +/- to it.

Wouldn't mind more course time, but not common around here, and time $$$ spent, as a civi who's far more likely to need a handgun, that's where my focus has been.

Well played, sir. Brilliant!

Ed L.
09-10-11, 12:53
Massachusettes gun laws are much worse than NY State gun laws. In Mass, you need a permit to even own a longarm, among other things. There is a different class of license that allows them to own magazines in excess of 10 rounds, IIRC.

First question for Will, does that lower qualify as a pre-ban in MA?

Is its stock collapsable or permanently pinned?

If it did, my long term plans would be to sell the upper & scope and buy a more modern upper like a BCM with removable carry handle or with some type of rear sight. My longer term plan would be to equip it with an Aimpoint.

The lower may not be great, but if it is pre-ban it might enable him to buy a pre-ban upper, assuming he is allowed to buy it in MA.

Otherwise, if I lived in a ban state I would try to buy a Colt 6400 and have it equipped with a battlecomp muzzle break and have the permanently fixed stock replaced with a Sully stock, since the factory fixed stock is pinned open in the longest position, making the gun way too long. Alternately, I would see about getting the pinned stock unpinned and repinned at a shorter length.

donwalk
09-10-11, 13:17

have you looked at what's going on here in kaliphornia?

the legislature has passed laws to register long guns and shot guns, prohibit any ammo that will "Pierce metal", prohibit the "Open carry" of an unloaded handgun and prohibit the purchase of ammo thru the mail or from the internet...they're on the desk of gov brown right now for veto or signature; is it that bad in "Boston-ish"? :(

WillBrink
09-10-11, 13:18
Otherwise, if I lived in a ban state I would try to buy a Colt 6400 and have it equipped with a battlecomp muzzle break and have the permanently fixed stock replaced with a Sully stock, since the factory fixed stock is pinned open in the longest position, making the gun way too long. Alternately, I would see about getting the pinned stock unpinned and repinned at a shorter length.

Funny thing, dealer I know has the hots for one of my custom 1911s I have for sale and called me to ask if I had sold it. I said no. He said he really wants it, but does not have the $$$ to purchase, was there anything we could do for barter/exchange. I told him I would do a trade for a Colt 6400, which would be there about what my custom 1911 is worth, and he said that might work.

So, I'd get the Colt 6400, he gets the 1911 he wants, and I'd put the BM up for sale in his shop.

Had no plans to dump the BM right now, but opportunity is knocking, and some times you have to take yes for an answer.

I'll update if the deal happens. :D

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 14:25
Will,

Have you considered keeping the lower and just making some improvements? Use the 1911 bartering chip to get what you need. A better upper and possibly swapping the stock or whatever needs to be done to make it Mass-hole legal.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 14:32
Will,

Have you considered keeping the lower and just making some improvements? Use the 1911 bartering chip to get what you need. A better upper and possibly swapping the stock or whatever needs to be done to make it Mass-hole legal.

So what would you recommend? Putting together ARs is not my area of expertise, so getting something already GTG by a Colt seems wise. I know it's not rocket science to put AR upper/lowers together and as long as no "fine tuning" was needed (gas ports, staking, etc) I could do it I'm sure.

Cagemonkey
09-10-11, 14:55
Colt would have to have no flash suppressor to be "MA approved" no? Can't have a folding stock either, and other BS I recall. Need to look into laws on long guns in MA, but that's the BS I recall.The Colt 6400 is fully AWB compliant. They used to come with a permed muzzle brake. Their website shows current models without the muzzle brake.

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 15:33
Keep the lower. I must have missed it. Is your stock pinned? Also, is the Battle Comp MA compliant? I believe they are. I would probably keep the stock as well- for now.

Get this upper- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm add in a BCG and Gunfigher and you are good to go.

Add a H buffer to the mix and you are done. You could clean up the upper you have currently and probably get a couple of hundred out of it. Couple with the .45 deal and you are set.

So what would you recommend? Putting together ARs is not my area of expertise, so getting something already GTG by a Colt seems wise. I know it's not rocket science to put AR upper/lowers together and as long as no "fine tuning" was needed (gas ports, staking, etc) I could do it I'm sure.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 16:02
Keep the lower. I must have missed it. Is your stock pinned?

Yes.

Also, is the Battle Comp MA compliant?

I recall if it's an evil flash suppressor no, if it's a recoil reducing comp, yes. Must be fixed so one can't remove, and put on evil suppressor and or bayonet, because bayonet on the end of rifles are all the rage these days with criminals and terrorists.

I believe they are. I would probably keep the stock as well- for now.

Get this upper- http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm add in a BCG and Gunfigher and you are good to go.

Add a H buffer to the mix and you are done. You could clean up the upper you have currently and probably get a couple of hundred out of it. Couple with the .45 deal and you are set.

I'll look into the above more, and make some decisions. Thanx for the info. Knew you jerks...I mean guys, were good for something. :D

DirectDrive
09-10-11, 16:25
Keep the lower. I must have missed it. Is your stock pinned? Also, is the Battle Comp MA compliant? I believe they are. I would probably keep the stock as well- for now.

IG must like you.
I've never seen him do personal counseling like this.

:sarcastic:

MSteele
09-10-11, 16:36
I live in MA and made all the upgrades to my AR. Added BCM BCG, BCM CH, LMT CL 1/7 Barrel, VLTOR Emod kit, T1, BAD A.S.S. and a few other things. Gotta pin the stock and BC 1.5 to make it legal in MA but debating on ordering 14.5 BCM upper from Grant and once I pin the BC it's done. Everything is legal once pinned. When I bought the AR it came with no flash hider and it was the worst thing ever, almost slammed it on the floor after shooting it. Four Seasons has LMT's with the monolithic rail for $1600, no sights. I think thats crazy but so is the majority of the prices around here ($40 pre-ban mags WTF).
WillBrink were do you shoot?

Trajan
09-10-11, 16:46
I recall if it's an evil flash suppressor no, if it's a recoil reducing comp, yes. Must be fixed so one can't remove, and put on evil suppressor and or bayonet, because bayonet on the end of rifles are all the rage these days with criminals and terrorists.

Just wondering, but does that also apply to mounts? Like say you pin on a Surefire comp; you can still attach an evil children killing suppressor. Or do your elected representatives not know about that?

If you have to pin, might want to look into 14.5"ers.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 17:44
Just wondering, but does that also apply to mounts? Like say you pin on a Surefire comp; you can still attach an evil children killing suppressor.

Not my area of expertise, but I believe the recoil comp must be welded on, and or the gun be unable to accept any type of suppressor, etc due to no threads.

Assuming I understood your Q. :cool:

Bimmer
09-10-11, 17:51
Not apologizing, just 'splaining it's existence. :big_boss:

This isn't that bad... A couple thoughts:

1. If you're sure that you're going to stick with iron sights, then why would you get a flat-top? The A2 upper makes perfect sense.
It's far more rigid than a flat top upper receiver (see the tests in the Tech forum), the rear sight is already built in (doesn't cost extra, and won't fall off), and on occasion the carry handle is actually handy for carrying the rifle.

2. I have the same rubber buttpad for the same reason someone already mentioned: it's more tacky than the hard plastic, so it's easier to keep the butt in position on my shoulder.
And I have orangutan arms and appreciate the extra 1/2" length of pull...

theblackknight
09-10-11, 17:52
I say just shoot the shit out of it, minus the optic and sling. If you use the AFG in anyway, move it forward.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 18:00
I live in MA and made all the upgrades to my AR. Added BCM BCG, BCM CH, LMT CL 1/7 Barrel, VLTOR Emod kit, T1, BAD A.S.S. and a few other things. Gotta pin the stock and BC 1.5 to make it legal in MA but debating on ordering 14.5 BCM upper from Grant and once I pin the BC it's done. Everything is legal once pinned. When I bought the AR it came with no flash hider and it was the worst thing ever, almost slammed it on the floor after shooting it.

The above is encouraging at least. If you now have flash hider on it, no longer MA legal no? Or am I reading the above wrong?

Four Seasons has LMT's with the monolithic rail for $1600, no sights.

I did not know that! Have not been to 4 seasons in a long time. Might check that out.

On the gun store front, have you checked out Armstec in Natick center? Was by app only, but now open to public. Small place, but some interesting stuff, and owner is Class III dealer. See:

http://www.gfaarmstec.com/index.html

WillBrink were do you shoot?

I had a membership at Braintree but let it go as other then going there to see if a new gun ran OK, the place just didn't offer enough anymore to pay the membership for me.

At the moment, don't have a membership, but I go with pals to Harvard (by far my favorite club withing 30+ minute drive) when I need to.

Last few seasons I shot almost all the IDPA matches regionally, etc, but this last season, not much due to time/$$$ constraints.

Where do you shoot?

Cagemonkey
09-10-11, 18:01
Iraqgunz pretty much summed it up except for a few small details. The muzzle brake must be pinned and welded/permed. The Battle Comp is AWB compliant and an outstanding devise, but I wouldn't choose one if it had to be permed since theirs no access to clean carbon and copper fouling from the muzzle crown. For a permed muzzle brake I'd choose the PWS. Something like this with the PWS option is what I'd choose. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-14bfh%20ddl12.htm.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 18:04
I say just shoot the shit out of it, minus the optic and sling. If you use the AFG in anyway, move it forward.

As mentioned, optics were for LOL and used occasionally for small game, goofy sh%$, etc. Like everything on the gun, given to me by vendors at some shows I attended as a vendor. Will move AFG forward, but I have short thick little arms... Sling is gone, and a single point sling was added:

mass-diver
09-10-11, 18:34
Just to be clear, here in MA you can buy a pre ban lower and then put a post-ban upper on it. Pre ban lowers are expensive ($600-800), but are readily available.

Post-ban hicap mags are illegal (no p-mags) but preban hicaps are easy to find.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 18:43
Just to be clear, here in MA you can buy a pre ban lower and then put a post-ban upper on it. Pre ban lowers are expensive ($600-800), but are readily available.

Post-ban hicap mags are illegal (no p-mags) but preban hicaps are easy to find.

Thanx for the info.

mass-diver
09-10-11, 18:52
Thanx for the info.

Will, you are on Derek's site right?

www.northeastshooters.com

MSteele
09-10-11, 19:08
The above is encouraging at least. If you now have flash hider on it, no longer MA legal no? Or am I reading the above wrong?

Actually at the moment I do have a flash hider on it that came with the barrel (illegal) I purchased a Battle Comp 1.5 (legal pinned) haven't installed it due to the fact I have been wanting to buy the 14.5 BCM upper and then pin/weld the BC. I would need to add a low-pro gas block on the new upper and Troy barrel nut before pinning the BC. I actually sold the BC to a buddy who wouldn't leave me alone until I did. Ordered another one today from Grant. Once they are pinned and welded that's it no more removing it so waiting to see if I order the BCM.

I did not know that! Have not been to 4 seasons in a long time. Might check that out.

They sell a bunch of guns and have a big selection not to many AR's. I bought a S&W M&P 15T with the Troy rail and Troy BUIS for $1100 plus I traded in a Sig p239 that was a gift 6yrs ago and barely used it for $450. So to me I paid $650 for the M&P15T since the Sig was a gift. The best option they had was one LMT, great AR but didn't have BUIS or SOPMOD stock and it had a monolithic rail not a fan. It was $1600 not worth it to me.

On the gun store front, have you checked out Armstec in Natick center? Was by app only, but now open to public. Small place, but some interesting stuff, and owner is Class III dealer. See:

http://www.gfaarmstec.com/index.html

Gonna definitely check this place out, not to many options in MA. I have gone to Northshore firearms in Middleton, MA pretty good selection and they try to beat local competition prices.

I had a membership at Braintree but let it go as other then going there to see if a new gun ran OK, the place just didn't offer enough anymore to pay the membership for me.

At the moment, don't have a membership, but I go with pals to Harvard (by far my favorite club withing 30+ minute drive) when I need to.

Last few seasons I shot almost all the IDPA matches regionally, etc, but this last season, not much due to time/$$$ constraints.

Where do you shoot?

I have been shooting at the Manchester Firing line in NH, went their today and it was a bit busy had to wait for a lane. It's rather new indoor range staff is real nice. I heard that Harvard is on of the best around but you need to know someone in order to join, I am screwed there. If you join let me know maybe you can get me in there. I have been thinking about joining the Pelham club in NH, they have a new 600yrd range and some other good outdoor ranges. I think their indoor isn't that great not sure. We should try to get a bunch of the MA/New England M4C members together and go shooting. The best would be to get everyone together and host Magpul Dynamics at the Harvard Club.

WillBrink
09-10-11, 19:12
Will, you are on Derek's site right?

www.northeastshooters.com

I am yes.

WillBrink
09-11-11, 08:21
The best option they had was one LMT, great AR but didn't have BUIS or SOPMOD stock and it had a monolithic rail not a fan. It was $1600 not worth it to me.

Been a while since i was there as prices tend to be high, and I have not been in the market for anything new anyway. Might go look at the LMT if i get a chance.

Gonna definitely check this place out, not to many options in MA. I have gone to Northshore firearms in Middleton, MA pretty good selection and they try to beat local competition prices.

It's right down the street for me. It's nice to finally have a decent (albeit small) place close by run good people.

I have been shooting at the Manchester Firing line in NH, went their today and it was a bit busy had to wait for a lane. It's rather new indoor range staff is real nice. I heard that Harvard is on of the best around but you need to know someone in order to join, I am screwed there. If you join let me know maybe you can get me in there.

I don't think that would be an issue. I need to join myself, but buddies go regular so I just show up then. It is a great club, especially when you realize it's in the People's Republic of MA. If you wanna meet up at Harvard some time, PM me.

I have been thinking about joining the Pelham club in NH, they have a new 600yrd range and some other good outdoor ranges. I think their indoor isn't that great not sure.

I like Pelham. Have taken a few courses there and a few IDPA matches there. It's about an hour drive for me give or take a few.

We should try to get a bunch of the MA/New England M4C members together and go shooting. The best would be to get everyone together and host Magpul Dynamics at the Harvard Club.

Harvard is weird that way. They don't seem to allow outside contractors to teach courses. Pelham seems open to that in my experience and that might be the better choice. I'm happy to attend and I know at least one other person who would attend anything put on by Mag Pull or similar if they came with the OK/creds thumbs up of the BTDT M4C crew. :cool:

A local group from LF forums did exactly that, it was a one day pistol course done at Pelham, and we had a great time. Instructor was Mike "doc" Hewet. See:

http://www.optimalswat.com/content.php?r=11-Trainers

CAVDOC
09-11-11, 08:29
here in NY we have the same ban compliance rules- I myself have never cared for comps- my hearing is bad enough and even with other shooters onthe range a few bays down from me with comps (even with double hearing protection) I get a major owie in the ears. I like plain unthreaded muzzles.
I like the older slightly shorter A1 stock (or vltors A1 modstock)
One of the current problems living in a ban state is most of the so called top tier makers like bcm,daniel defense etc don't have ban compliant parts. That leaves you buying parts then modding them for compliance (either as a diy thing at home or spending extra cash for the mods). The one decent quality maker that does ban compliant parts (some will say they are middle of the road quality wise)is rock river, but then charges you an extra 50 bucks for the complaint upper.

highlighter
09-11-11, 08:32
as a civi who's far more likely to need a handgun, that's where my focus has been.

Sounds like a smart man to me. Never mind the gear snobs!

WillBrink
09-11-11, 08:35
here in NY we have the same ban compliance rules- I myself have never cared for comps- my hearing is bad enough and even with other shooters onthe range a few bays down from me with comps (even with double hearing protection) I get a major owie in the ears. I like plain unthreaded muzzles.
I like the older slightly shorter A1 stock (or vltors A1 modstock)
One of the current problems living in a ban state is most of the so called top tier makers like bcm,daniel defense etc don't have ban compliant parts. That leaves you buying parts then modding them for compliance (either as a diy thing at home or spending extra cash for the mods). The one decent quality maker that does ban compliant parts (some will say they are middle of the road quality wise)is rock river, but then charges you an extra 50 bucks for the complaint upper.

My understanding from this thread is the Colt 6400 is fully compliant, no evil suppressor, no comp, fixed/pinned stock, etc. Don't know if NY is any different then MA for recs, but it appears LMT makes a compliant gun as MSteele saw them in a local MA gun store.

Cagemonkey
09-11-11, 08:53
My understanding from this thread is the Colt 6400 is fully compliant, no evil suppressor, no comp, fixed/pinned stock, etc. Don't know if NY is any different then MA for recs, but it appears LMT makes a compliant gun as MSteele saw them in a local MA gun store.I wouldn't bet on any of those MA compliant LMT's being left. Their rare and sell out quickly. Keep an eye open on Four Seasons website. http://www.fsguns.com/. Talk to Carl if you need anything.

WillBrink
09-11-11, 09:06
I wouldn't bet on any of those MA compliant LMT's being left. Their rare and sell out quickly. Keep an eye open on Four Seasons website. http://www.fsguns.com/. Talk to Carl if you need anything.

As a rule, MA compliant ARs sell out quickly regardless of brand. I'm not seeing any mention of LMT on the web site, but I could just be missing it. No surprise Carl can't keep them in stock. :(

WillBrink
09-11-11, 09:12
Four Seasons has LMT's with the monolithic rail for $1600, no sights.

PS, do you happen to know/recall the model number of the MA compliant LMT? Might be an option to the Colt 4600 if this dealer ends up making the deal with me for my 1911.

MSteele
09-11-11, 12:41
PS, do you happen to know/recall the model number of the MA compliant LMT? Might be an option to the Colt 4600 if this dealer ends up making the deal with me for my 1911.

I don't remember the model, it had the monolithic rail, no sights and a pinned buttstock (not the SOPMOD). It shouldn't be hard to find out the model I am sure there's only one. Every time I have been there they have one LMT in stock, same model. In my opinion for $1600 you could put together a really nice AR including optic/RDS. Give them a call and find out what they have in stock, also call around I no that Northshore Firearms claims to have a large selection. You can also check NH/ME dealers for lowers or MA compliant complete AR's. I saw a bunch of stripped lowers at Firing Line in Manchester, I have the original pinned buttstock from my AR then all you need is a LPK and upper.

WillBrink
09-17-11, 13:41
Ok gents, here's my new Colt 6940. Just by shear coincidence to this thread did the opportunity present itself (see prior threads) to grab that with no $$$ out of pocket. BM is now for sale at store.

I hope to put some rnds through the new Colt tomorrow if I can.

Your advice has been most helpful.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/closeup.jpg

Iraqgunz
09-17-11, 13:51
Although it wouldn't be my first choice, you have a good solid AR and I am glad that we were able to assist you.

Ok gents, here's my new Colt 6940. Just by shear coincidence to this thread did the opportunity present itself (see prior threads) to grab that with no $$$ out of pocket. BM is now for sale at store.

Cerberus
09-17-11, 14:08
I don't think I've ever known anyone who's Shrubmaster runs reliably.

There are 2 guys in my current unit, both of them SDM grads, who are running Trashmasters reliably.

The_War_Wagon
09-17-11, 14:11
BIG improvement, and perhaps as good as it gets in Taxachusetts! :o

I didn't have a LOT of room to knock your BM. Starting in '91, my first AR was a 20" PWA-HBAR. :bad:

My second rifle, was a pre-ban Oly K3B. :(

My third rifle was a Doublestar CAR15. :fie:

My fourth rifle was a POF-415. :eek:

My fifth rifle was a M&P15T. :blink:

But my sixth rifle IS a BCM! :D

WillBrink
09-17-11, 14:14
Although it wouldn't be my first choice, you have a good solid AR and I am glad that we were able to assist you.

Remember, my local limits choices, so had to make the best of a "bad" situation. :cool:

DeltaSierra
09-17-11, 14:14

Nice rifle!

Now go shoot it and report back with your results!

DeltaSierra

WillBrink
09-17-11, 16:15
Nice rifle!

Now go shoot it and report back with your results!

DeltaSierra

Will do, thanx!

MSteele
09-17-11, 19:41
Nice purchase, you can't go wrong with a Colt. Since here in MA we have the flash hider restriction I just installed the Battle Comp 1.5 and it does what it advertises. Once I pin it it will be MA compliant. Also if your stock isn't pinned I used a small set screw for mine and it works. If I ever want to switch length all I have to do is remove the set screw.
Now go tear some shit up!!!:moil:

samuse
09-17-11, 22:44
You might be in a bad situation but I don't think a 6940 is a bad choice, regardless of location.

Stangman
09-17-11, 22:58
Nice pickup...

The question now is did you make this thread so you'd have an excuse to do this :laugh:

Ed L.
09-17-11, 23:31
Congrats on the new AR, Will.

I must be the only person on the board who likes 6940s. I think there may be one or two others.

Seriously, it is a great gun, as reliable and durable as a 6920 or BCM. Some people don't like it because they like to set up really long rails to allow them to either grip the forend further down or put more stuff on it (like laser or IR illuminators, etc.).

But for the average person who just wants an AR with a rail that they can mount a light and maybe a vertical foregrip, and isn't concerned with holding the rail all the way out, the 6940 is a perfect out of the box solution.

A few comments: if that is a picture of your AR it doesn't appear to have the stock pinned and still have the flash hider. If you are going to have the stock pinned, make sure you do it at a comfortable length of pull if you are shooting squared off to your target--not all the way extended which is way most stocks are pinned off.

If it is already pinned off at full length and you want to give it a short fixed stock, look at the SUlly stock: http://www.thedefensiveedge.com/Sully_Stock_p/sully01.htm. It's around $140 and you will likely want to ahve a gunsmith install it.

If the gun needs a muzzle break instaled or you don't like the one that it came with, look into the battlecomp. It has minimal blast and flash for a muzzle break, but still counts as one for legal requirements.

WillBrink
09-18-11, 08:08
Nice pickup...

The question now is did you make this thread so you'd have an excuse to do this :laugh:

It was this thread that gave me the idea to suggest a trade for the 1911 I had the store owner wanted, and it worked out perfectly that he had something I wanted and vise versa. From a strictly $$$, he may have gotten the better deal in the exchange, buy what ever. So, starting this thread was the catalyst.

KhanRad
09-18-11, 08:25
Nice new rig. Now chop that barrel down and make it a SBR. :D

wetidlerjr
09-18-11, 08:42
BIG improvement, and perhaps as good as it gets in Taxachusetts! :o
I didn't have a LOT of room to knock your BM. Starting in '91, my first AR was a 20" PWA-HBAR. :bad:
My second rifle, was a pre-ban Oly K3B. :(
My third rifle was a Doublestar CAR15. :fie:
My fourth rifle was a POF-415. :eek:
My fifth rifle was a M&P15T. :blink:
But my sixth rifle IS a BCM! :D

You make me feel much better as I only went through two BMs. Both BM lowers are still with me but with BCM uppers on both. :D

WillBrink
09-18-11, 09:43
You make me feel much better

Me too. Does that make us bad people? :big_boss:

pistolman1974
09-18-11, 10:48
Nice rifle...even better price.

wetidlerjr
09-18-11, 15:06
Me too. Does that make us bad people? :big_boss:

Not really... :D

We just learned a lesson.

txbrenek
09-18-11, 18:34
My BushMaster,ScrubMaster or what you want to call it has been reliable since I bought it in 2004 .I have put a high rate of ammo through it ,been through some carbine courses and it is still going strong .I know a lot of Border Agents,DPS & other LEO's that own BushMasters and are issued BushMasters and they feel so ashamed of having them that they are so embarrassed to come to this web sight and be a member and admit they have a BushMaster :suicide2:

Failure2Stop
09-18-11, 21:57
My BushMaster,ScrubMaster or what you want to call it has been reliable since I bought it in 2004 .I have put a high rate of ammo through it ,been through some carbine courses and it is still going strong .I know a lot of Border Agents,DPS & other LEO's that own BushMasters and are issued BushMasters and they feel so ashamed of having them that they are so embarrassed to come to this web sight and be a member and admit they have a BushMaster :suicide2:

Dude, it's about learning, improving, and carrying forward.
There is no reason at all to be embarrassed about what is issued to you. There are dedicated threads about improving the known issues with the "less than" brands. Lots of us started there, nothing to be embarrassed about.

Let's get off the "my XX rifle that lacks X, Y, and Z is the best thing I could get" train.

WillBrink
09-19-11, 09:37
Short range report:

put 100rns of Winchester white box of 5.56 55g FMJ, and 100rnds of cheapo Wolf .223 55g. FMJ. No malfunctions of any kind.

Mostly standing from 50 yard line at basic paper Silhouette target. Didn't have a lot of time, so quick range trip.

Scoby
09-19-11, 09:48
That should be a solid choice. Good on you and hope you enjoy it.

Tango-Alpha
09-19-11, 11:10

I know you said not to laugh, but.....is that tape holding a green flashlight to your rail? :)

WillBrink
09-19-11, 11:19
I know you said not to laugh, but.....is that tape holding a green flashlight to your rail? :)

Nope. :thank_you2:

Smuckatelli
09-19-11, 11:44
Fixed it for you. :D

Why did you have to pull me into this thread?

ASH556
09-19-11, 14:05
Dude, are you sure you didn't loan that rifle to a guy in my Vickers class this past March? I know you did, don't lie. :D

Seriously though, same exact setup, except with a CAA cheek riser, Grip-pod, UTG rail, all the bad stuff you can imagine. The stock riser took a dump during the first five rounds of zero confirmation. For the next two hours, this guy had something falling off his rifle every five minutes.

To make matters worse, his truck had "Special Forces" plates and stickers all over it.

ETA: I went back and found this pic of him from the AAR on this forum. This was minus about 5 or 6 pieces of gear:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/ATEUP.jpg

MistWolf
09-19-11, 14:13
Short range report:

put 100rns of Winchester white box of 5.56 55g FMJ, and 100rnds of cheapo Wolf .223 55g. FMJ. No malfunctions of any kind.

Mostly standing from 50 yard line at basic paper Silhouette target. Didn't have a lot of time, so quick range trip.

You know it can't be trusted until you've put 10,000 rnds through it during a 3 day carbine class http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/Smileys/alive/2funny.gif

WillBrink
09-19-11, 16:01
You know it can't be trusted until you've put 10,000 rnds through it during a 3 day carbine class http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/Smileys/alive/2funny.gif

I'm workin' on it! :neo:

WillBrink
10-27-11, 18:26
OK, so far, this new Colt 6940 is working out well. I'm leaving it stock for now.

As you know, this gun has folding sights. Considering the distances (inside a house) I'd be likely to use it, I find leaving the rear site down and using the front site only gets me a very fast site on target picture during dry fire drills.

Thoughts there? Good optics is $$$ I can't dedicate at the moment, but it's on the list, and frankly would rather put the $$$ toward ammo and courses/range work at this point.

Intended set up is for SD/HD, courses hopefully in near future, but I do at least have buds who are much better trained then I in the AR/M4 platform so some learnin' can take place.

As mentioned, to date, most of my efforts/time/$$$ were trying to not suck with a handgun, but I'm feeling motivated now owning a much improved gun.

For SD/HD as primary use for a civi, what's the bare minimum you all would recommend for after market additions, and "spend all your $$$ and time on ammo and range time and leave it stock" is a perfectly acceptable response to me and I'm not hell bent on hanging unneeded gadgets off of it.

I would think a light makes sense at least.

1911-A1
10-27-11, 21:29
Please use and train with both sights deployed. You are responsible for every round you fire. Using just the front can send a round several inches or more from your intended point of impact.

All HD long guns require a sling, light and red-dot optic at a minimum. It's fine if you're saving for a quality optic. Primary Arms sells Aimpoint Micro and M4 clones for very reasonable prices. They have a good reputation, and will serve well for training optics when you get a real one. A decent sling is $40, and a surefire G2 and mount will run you about $80-$100 depending on where you shop.

OK, so far, this new Colt 6940 is working out well. I'm leaving it stock for now.

As you know, this gun has folding sights. Considering the distances (inside a house) I'd be likely to use it, I find leaving the rear site down and using the front site only gets me a very fast site on target picture during dry fire drills.

Thoughts there? Good optics is $$$ I can't dedicate at the moment, but it's on the list, and frankly would rather put the $$$ toward ammo and courses/range work at this point.

Intended set up is for SD/HD, courses hopefully in near future, but I do at least have buds who are much better trained then I in the AR/M4 platform so some learnin' can take place.

As mentioned, to date, most of my efforts/time/$$$ were trying to not suck with a handgun, but I'm feeling motivated now owning a much improved gun.

For SD/HD as primary use for a civi, what's the bare minimum you all would recommend for after market additions, and "spend all your $$$ and time on ammo and range time and leave it stock" is a perfectly acceptable response to me and I'm not hell bent on hanging unneeded gadgets off of it.

I would think a light makes sense at least.

a0cake
10-28-11, 00:18
All HD long guns require a sling, light and red-dot optic at a minimum. It's fine if you're saving for a quality optic. Primary Arms sells Aimpoint Micro and M4 clones for very reasonable prices. They have a good reputation, and will serve well for training optics when you get a real one.

All HD guns do not require a red dot sight. I don't know what gave you that idea.

Especially not a Primary Arms, even if it is just a temporary solution. I'll take plain old iron sights over iron sights plus a shitty RDS any day.

Take the 70 bucks for the Primary Arms POS and put it away toward an Aimpoint. In the mean time, practice with the iron sights. They'll serve the user just fine in the interim...so long as enough effort is put into learning them.

Winnerkd
10-28-11, 04:37
Is that the TACTICAL ELITE SEAL SWAT package? I think SIG sells something like that. Maybe it's the BLACKWATER OPERATOR FREEDOM TACTICAL PLATFORM.

Good stuff, good stuff.

jwperry
10-28-11, 08:57
All HD long guns require a sling, light and red-dot optic at a minimum. It's fine if you're saving for a quality optic.

A sling on an HD weapon can become a liability if it gets hung up on something; door knob, house plant, stair case, etc.
A white light is a must.
People have been shooting with iron sights for hundreds of years, red dots do provide an advantage, especially in low/no light, but you can use irons when properly using a white light.

WillBrink
10-28-11, 09:05
A sling on an HD weapon can become a liability if it gets hung up on something; door knob, house plant, stair case, etc.
A white light is a must.
People have been shooting with iron sights for hundreds of years, red dots do provide an advantage, especially in low/no light, but you can use irons when properly using a white light.

As mentioned above, the light seemed the most obvious addition to an HD gun to me. I had a basic SureFire G2 Nitrolon on the BM with pressure switch on vertical grip, but wanted to start fresh with this new gun, so sold the BM with all after market additions that were on it, which I didn't pay a dime for anyway.

Failure2Stop
10-28-11, 09:37
Sights:
If you can't budget for the Aimpoint PRO, just stay with irons until you can.
I would much rather have 2,000 rounds of experience with properly applied irons than 0 rounds of experience with a nifty optic.
I most definately do not prefer irons over a quality RDS, but with a light they can meet the requirement for close use.

Use at compressed range:
It is possible to "get hits" without having the rear sight deployed, however you will be limited in the precision you can get. I prefer the following technique:
Put the outside top of the rear sight in line with the top of the front sight base. It will pretty much be point of aim/point of impact at around 5-7 yards, it doesn't need to be perfectly aligned for acceptable nipple to nipple hits, is a bold enough silhouette to be seen in the dark even with a target focus, works well with a light, you can still go "over the sights" for applicable distances, but still retain the option the drop into the sights for precision shots that demand proper traditional iron sight employment.

Light:
I really like the M300 and M600 SFs, but they are very pricey for a HD light. The offset Vltor and VTAC mounts for handheld lights put the light at a good angle, though you aren't going to be able to stretch out on the gun much. The lack of a traditional FSB won't permit an FSB mount, so you are kinda limited.

WillBrink
10-28-11, 11:32
Sights:
I would much rather have 2,000 rounds of experience with properly applied irons than 0 rounds of experience with a nifty optic.
I most definately do not prefer irons over a quality RDS, but with a light they can meet the requirement for close use.

Use at compressed range:
It is possible to "get hits" without having the rear sight deployed, however you will be limited in the precision you can get. I prefer the following technique:
Put the outside top of the rear sight in line with the top of the front sight base. It will pretty much be point of aim/point of impact at around 5-7 yards, it doesn't need to be perfectly aligned for acceptable nipple to nipple hits, is a bold enough silhouette to be seen in the dark even with a target focus, works well with a light, you can still go "over the sights" for applicable distances, but still retain the option the drop into the sights for precision shots that demand proper traditional iron sight employment.

Light:
I really like the M300 and M600 SFs, but they are very pricey for a HD light. The offset Vltor and VTAC mounts for handheld lights put the light at a good angle, though you aren't going to be able to stretch out on the gun much. The lack of a traditional FSB won't permit an FSB mount, so you are kinda limited.

Excellent and useful advice as usual. Will follow up on above. Thanx!

30 cal slut
10-28-11, 11:44

I just pissed my pants @ that comment :haha:

Shabazz
10-28-11, 11:54
Sights:

Thumbs up for good advice.

As for the fellow with all the crap on his rifle shown above, perhaps he went through a good learning experience at the class and will understand the disadvantage of a complex setup when under stress. We all take a different path in learning the lessons of life, and it is not for me to criticize the road the he chose to follow.

alaskacop
10-28-11, 22:18

Wow, the 80's called and wanted their rifle back.....:p

Glad to see you upgraded to a Colt, welcome aboard the 1st class AR train...

Hope you got a good deal selling your BM to Bruce Willis for the Die Hard prequel movie...

1911-A1
10-29-11, 20:16
All HD guns do not require a red dot sight. I don't know what gave you that idea.

Especially not a Primary Arms, even if it is just a temporary solution. I'll take plain old iron sights over iron sights plus a shitty RDS any day.

Take the 70 bucks for the Primary Arms POS and put it away toward an Aimpoint. In the mean time, practice with the iron sights. They'll serve the user just fine in the interim...so long as enough effort is put into learning them.

Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

A decent red dot sight can only benefit the shooter, if it fails for some reason, your back up irons are still there. I'm not advocating the use of some shitty $25 BSA dot, either. PA optics offer about the best quality you're going to find under $500. They have a pretty solid track record. I believe the benefits of even a lesser brand optic outweigh the benefits that $70-$100 of shooting will provide. It's only a temporary option, anyhow. I absolutely recommend an Aimpoint above all else, but if budget is the concern, a PA will be fine.

I've heard the complaint that slings can snag, but that's a poor reason for avoiding them. Your 16" barrel might knock over a lamp, too. Still not a reason to condemn it. You may need to use both hands for something, yet retain control of your weapon. In my opinion, it's a necessity.

devinsdad
10-30-11, 11:35
Shame that the first picture of your rifle has to come with a disclaimer. You mentioned that it hasn't malfunctioned...so why dump money into a unit that shows no sign of failure? When something brakes, then replace it. Replacing perfectly good components, some with zero time on them, is the greatest marketing scheme I've ever seem.

Littlelebowski
10-30-11, 11:42
Shame that the first picture of your rifle has to come with a disclaimer. You mentioned that it hasn't malfunctioned...so why dump money into a unit that shows no sign of failure? When something brakes, then replace it. Replacing perfectly good components, some with zero time on them, is the greatest marketing scheme I've ever seem.

Not sure if you understand what you're railing against here. The problems with lower tier rifles are well known, the causes are specific, and many of us would be happy to assist you with the Search function if you'd like to learn.

kmrtnsn
10-30-11, 11:52
Will, I'll chip in 25 bucks toward the purchase of a flat top upper and mail you my tools (you have to send them back) in an effort to bring your rifle into the current century. Hell, I'll even toss in a NIB LaRue T-1 riser to prod you into replacing that scope.

Failure2Stop
10-30-11, 16:05
Will, I'll chip in 25 bucks toward the purchase of a flat top upper and mail you my tools (you have to send them back) in an effort to bring your rifle into the current century. Hell, I'll even toss in a NIB LaRue T-1 riser to prod you into replacing that scope.

He already got a 6940 (see pg 6).
Generous offers though, awesome to see people willing to help each other out.

kmrtnsn
10-30-11, 16:11
He already got a 6940 (see pg 6).
Generous offers though, awesome to see people willing to help each other out.

F2S,

Yeah, I had seen that but WTH, Will is a generous contributor to this forum. We can't have him sporting a rifle looking like a refugee from Arfcom here and it is the least I could do.

Will,

The offer still stands.

Ken

Dionysusigma
10-30-11, 16:28
Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

A decent red dot sight can only benefit the shooter, if it fails for some reason, your back up irons are still there. I'm not advocating the use of some shitty $25 BSA dot, either. PA optics offer about the best quality you're going to find under $500. They have a pretty solid track record. I believe the benefits of even a lesser brand optic outweigh the benefits that $70-$100 of shooting will provide. It's only a temporary option, anyhow. I absolutely recommend an Aimpoint above all else, but if budget is the concern, a PA will be fine.
This, in spades. My second-ever AR build was a Del-Ton HBAR midlength on a Stag lower with a PA M3 clone (PA mount) and a UTG LMT-style rear sight. About as bargain-basement as can be without getting anything for free--I was even using C-Products mags loaded with Wal-Mart Remington .223. :sarcastic: All issues have since been addressed in my... taste in quality.

Anyhow, sold it to a pilot I worked with who loves hiking, mountain-climbing, and long-range shooting. Heard back from him after he'd had it a few months, and during one of his week-long outings the "crap rifle" apparently survived getting knocked off an ATV a few times (moving and still), getting bashed on a couple rocks and trees, etc.

When they got to where they were going to be shooting it apparently held its zero well enough that he could hit a sheet of printer paper at 350m, 23-24 per mag. This was with a 4moa dot and standard milspec trigger. :eek: A few more months of use and after I'd built my BCM A4gery, I asked him how it was holding up. He said he'd switched to PMags and had run another ~3000-3500 rounds through it, with the only issue being some light rust on the barrel exterior (though apparently he took it to Florida a couple times).

All this being said, I now buy only quality (sometimes skimp on ammo, though). I'd rather know that all the important bits in my rifle were manufactured to exacting specs, using the best materials, were properly tested, and have a strong customer support base in the hugely unlikely event something does happen.

A friend (Chris) spent a goodly ~$2,500 on his dream AR (Noveske N4 with mini ACOG, etc). One day he was showing it off to another friend of his who accidentally slipped and dropped it onto the garage floor, and began apologizing profusely. Chris gave a small laugh and shrug and said, "that's one of many reasons I spent so much on it. It's a tool designed for hard use, not a Faberge Egg." :D

Failure2Stop
10-30-11, 16:48
F2S,

Yeah, I had seen that but WTH, Will is a generous contributor to this forum. We can't have him sporting a rifle looking like a refugee from Arfcom here and it is the least I could do.

Ah, didn't realize that you were offering an "additionally" service.
Kudos dude, you're getting karma points for that.

WillBrink
10-31-11, 08:21

A fine offer, but BM already gone, replaced by a Colt. See prior pages. :cool:

WillBrink
10-31-11, 08:31

BTW, per first post, scope was there as a goof. The rest given to me at various trade shows, so iron sites was what I used. Put goofy scope on there to plink small game on occasion with.

So, starting fresh with the Colt. Will get a decent RDS at some point, but as others mentioned, rather stick to iron sites 'till i can put a quality RDS on it, and they aint cheap as you know.

kmrtnsn
10-31-11, 11:23
BTW, per first post, scope was there as a goof. The rest given to me at various trade shows, so iron sites was what I used. Put goofy scope on there to plink small game on occasion with.

So, starting fresh with the Colt. Will get a decent RDS at some point, but as others mentioned, rather stick to iron sites 'till i can put a quality RDS on it, and they aint cheap as you know.

Will, you're the man! Let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you.

WillBrink
10-31-11, 11:30
Will, you're the man! Let me know if there is ever anything I can do for you.

Yes, train me in the ways of the M4 Ninja so I'm never "that guy" :D

Ed L.
10-31-11, 11:45
Not sure if you understand what you're railing against here. The problems with lower tier rifles are well known, the causes are specific, and many of us would be happy to assist you with the Search function if you'd like to learn.

Thank you, LL.

devinsdad
10-31-11, 14:01
Not railing against anyone/anything. Just think it funny to need to replace functioning parts. Replace when broke, not just to say you replaced it.

Ed L.
10-31-11, 14:08
Not railing against anyone/anything. Just think it funny to need to replace functioning parts. Replace when broke, not just to say you replaced it.

It's about quality. Will's old gun was not quality:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Not all ARs are equal:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Littlelebowski
10-31-11, 14:11

When you've seen a gun go down due to an improperly staked gas key like myself, you tend to take the chart a bit more seriously.

WillBrink
10-31-11, 15:56

Stepping up to something superior to what you had before is not a bad thing. It's all too often a thing goes from "not broke" to broke, at the worst possible times. In some cases, that's acceptable; with SD/HD guns, not so much in my view.

Your mileage may differ....:big_boss: