PDA

View Full Version : Model 7 in SS?

mark5pt56
09-09-11, 10:43
I checked Remington's site and don't see one listed. Saw a SS 7 in a shop, getting re-barreled, so I know they exist somewhere. I wonder if they are limited special runs?
I guess I could always do the blued version if going that route.

I would like a SS in 7mm-08, debating the barrel length, 18 or 20. Then I think of a SS 700 and have the barrel cut from the 24" and the 700 action always gives me additional future options if I want to add a detachable mag assembly, etc.

The stocks would be replaced at some point. I was hoping that the Eberlestock chassis would be out sooner with more detail as it would be a great option for transport/packing. I think it's just for the 700 though.

This would be for a "light" hunter for under 300, maybe 400 max on medium game.

Thoughts?

Belmont31R
09-09-11, 10:57
I had a Model 7 and got rid of it after finding it quite difficult to find parts for. The 700 on the other hand has a near limitless list of options.

mark5pt56
09-09-11, 12:17
I had a Model 7 and got rid of it after finding it quite difficult to find parts for. The 700 on the other hand has a near limitless list of options.

Not knowing much about the internals, I believe everything is different? Maybe a mag box and spring.

Once the same profiled barrel is cut on the 700, I'm looking at 1/2 pound difference maybe in weight?

Belmont31R
09-09-11, 12:28
Things like replacement stocks triggers and scope mounts. They are made just not in the same brands and styles. I would just make sure the parts you want to add or replace are available before you buy. For instance if you go to Brownells and do a product search for all Model 7 parts you get 4 pages of results most of which are factory Remington parts. If you do the same for the M700 you get 24 pages of results.

I think the slightly longer receiver of the M700 is worth the added availability of after market parts support.

mark5pt56
09-09-11, 13:49
Word.

I think they could market it much better than they are. Someone must be asleep there anyhow since they don't even have the 300BLK there yet, which seems to be quiet lately?

Jake'sDad
09-30-11, 18:10
I think in recent years, they've only made SS in special runs from their "custom" shop.

I'm still looking for another one in .308. They turn up on the auction sites once in a while, usually for too much money.

yellowfin
10-01-11, 14:03
Word.

I think they could market it much better than they are. Someone must be asleep there anyhow since they don't even have the 300BLK there yet, which seems to be quiet lately?Yes, the point of the 300BLK is for it to be quiet.