PDA

View Full Version : SIG Elite suppressor?

justin_247
09-09-11, 11:03
I read a blurp about SIG's new Elite suppressor on Soldier Systems today that sounds ridiculous. They're saying they've measured "less than 100 db with the can." I don't know enough about suppressors to call B.S. on this, but if they are telling the truth they must have made some massive technological leap that nobody ever predicted. So what do you all say... legit or crap? I'm leaning towards the latter.

... if they got it so quiet, then why on earth is the shooter wearing ear plugs?

From here (http://soldiersystems.net/2011/09/08/nbow-range-day-sig-sauer/):

Here you can see the 516 paired with the Elite suppressor. They have measured less than 100 db with this can. An interesting feature of the 516, is that you can dial the gas down to the point that it can be fired without cycling the bolt, further reducing the audible signature by 2-3 db.

JasonM
09-09-11, 11:18
I read a blurp about SIG's new Elite suppressor on Soldier Systems today that sounds ridiculous. They're saying they've measured "less than 100 db with the can." I don't know enough about suppressors to call B.S. on this, but if they are telling the truth they must have made some massive technological leap that nobody ever predicted. So what do you all say... legit or crap? I'm leaning towards the latter.

... if they got it so quiet, then why on earth is the shooter wearing ear plugs?

From here (http://soldiersystems.net/2011/09/08/nbow-range-day-sig-sauer/):

Well, with subsonic ammo and the gas turned off you can get any good can down towards that. And without knowing what metering system or where the measure was taken from, the number is worthless- it could have been some dude on the line using the sound meter iPhone app.

For reference, the best integral .22 LR's struggle can just get down to the 110 dB's.

It's really a misleading number because it'll be way, way, way louder than that with regular ammo and with a gun that actually cycles.

glocktogo
09-09-11, 13:59
I wouldn't trust anyone at Sig to correctly bang two sticks together, much less make a can that meters under 100db.

The only effective thing that Sig currently makes is marketing hype. :(