PDA

View Full Version : My First AR is complete and I'm hooked!

wahoo95
11-10-07, 12:20
Just finished my first build and I am quite happy with the results so far. Now, to just get some optics on it and of course some trigger time!!! This is my first AR, so I would love advice on whatever spare parts/accessories/tools oustide of ammo anyone feels are a must to maintain this weapon.

Nothing fancy.....Stag Upper/Lower, Surefire QuadRail, Magpul Stock/Grip/PMAG, Phantom Suppresor to be added along with ARMS 40L BUIS, and EoTech 512.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb244/a996hawk/GreenStag1.jpg[/img]

devilslayer
11-10-07, 17:16
awsome..i like the ctr stocks

wahoo95
11-10-07, 19:36
Yeah the CTR Stock and MIAD Grip produce a feel that is "Night and Day" compared to the original.

ddemis
11-10-07, 20:41
Good choice on the Phantom they work great, and the optics, stick to the Aimpoint.Tough and simple to use with long battery life ( 50,000 hrs.) on some models. Also get a spare bolt from Bcm or Lmt as a back up. Looking forward to your new pics.

carbinero
11-11-07, 08:51
Nothin' fancy? Looks like a sweet first AR to me!

11B101ABN
11-13-07, 07:15
A good sling would be my choice for a "first" accessory.

wahoo95
11-13-07, 08:10
Any suggestions on Slings? I prefer the 2 point types......

carbinero
11-13-07, 09:10
To save money you can search TOS for WECSOG sling. Total parts cost like $10, and you get that DIY satisfaction!

AR-15A3
11-13-07, 09:44
Congrats.

First thing is check for proper staking of the bolt carrier key screws and buffer tube castle nut, see tacked threads for more info, also use a bolt extractor upgrade kit with chrome silicon spring material, proper Mil-spec black extractor insert buffer and Crane O-ring (from G&R Tactical).

I would highly recommend the Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS two point sling, in my opinion it's the best in the market today.

For spare parts at a minimum a firing pin retaining pin, this is the only part that I had broken in the many years as an AR user.

Maybe a spare bolt assembly and firing pin, even better would be a complete BCG, I would recommend getting a properly staked carrier key screws from Grant of G&R Tactical.

A field replacement parts kit which have the frequently replaced parts and springs would be a minimum but if you want to have more parts get a whole lower parts kit, but I'm warning you that this might turn out to be your next complete carbine.

Enjoy your new AR. :cool:

wahoo95
11-13-07, 09:59
Thanks for the detail......and well thought out "things to get" list.

Congrats.

First thing is check for proper staking of the bolt carrier key screws and buffer tube castle nut, see tacked threads for more info, also use a bolt extractor upgrade kit with chrome silicon spring material, proper Mil-spec black extractor insert buffer and Crane O-ring (from G&R Tactical).

I would highly recommend the Blue Force Gear Vickers VCAS two point sling, in my opinion it's the best in the market today.

For spare parts at a minimum a firing pin retaining pin, this is the only part that I had broken in the many years as an AR user.

Maybe a spare bolt assembly and firing pin, even better would be a complete BCG, I would recommend getting a properly staked carrier key screws from Grant of G&R Tactical.

A field replacement parts kit which have the frequently replaced parts and springs would be a minimum but if you want to have more parts get a whole lower parts kit, but I'm warning you that this might turn out to be your next complete carbine.

Enjoy your new AR. :cool:

Failure2Stop
11-13-07, 10:44
I highly recommend a mounted light. You can go inexpensive with a SF G2 and a simple mount. G&R Tactical has some nice packages that will take care of you in one order, without breaking the bank.

Why a light? Identification.

Why not a sight first? You already have iron sights. A light works just fine with the 0-2 sight.

Very inexpensive and reliable immediate upgrade to your capablities and reduction of liability/negligence issues.

The most probable use of the carbine in defense of your or your loved ones' lives will be an intruder into the home. In this case you will not need a sling, a high-end magnified optic, bipods, or muliple reloads. You will need to find and reduce the threat to your family without accidentally engaging one of the people you are trying to save.

My .02.

ETA- and good training from a respected/knowledgable trainer. The best thing you can put on a firearm is a trained, competant individual.

RSS1911
11-13-07, 11:10
Looks good Wahoo! Enjoy it.

I have to put up some photos of my newly assembled Stag too.

knguye11
11-15-07, 17:46
That a nice looking rifle. Now please go out and break it in!