PDA

View Full Version : HK USC

St.Michael
09-10-11, 14:00
I was wondering if anyone has one or has shot one. How it shoots and how you guys like it? I like HK a LOT and my wife doesn't care much for shooting ARs so I was thinking of buying one and killing two birds with one stone. She gets a rifle she can shoot and I get a new HK :p anyway info would be great. I haven't found much on them. I figured here would be the best place to get the pros and cons. Thanks!

MikeCLeonard
09-10-11, 14:43
I have USC converted to UMP format and really like it a lot! It's reliable, it's unique and looks cool, and is quite accurate...although it's a .45, so I really only shoot it at 50 yards or under. Further out then that, and you're just lobbing those .45 auto's.

Why does your wife not like AR's? Recoil? Noise? I only ask because the USC is not going to recoil all that much softer than an AR15...if any. I don't think AR's or USC's have much recoil at all...but then again I'm not a woman. It's a pretty light rifle with a big steel bolt/carrier...so it's not going to be like shooting a .22 is all I'm saying.

Have you ever considered a 9mm Hk 94/MP5 or clone? The 9mm sub-guns/rifles I've shot seem to shoot a lot smoother with less felt recoil...and they also seem pretty popular with women who have the chance to shoot them.

eta. I'm not a huge fan of the stock USC pistol grip/fixed stock. The stock isn't bad, but the integrated pistol grip is pretty blocky feeling...and If you go the USC route, I would recommend getting the UMP stock block, folding stock, and UMP lower receiver.

Ak44
09-10-11, 16:37
I have a converted UMP. It's nice I like it, a little big but fun gun to shoot. Recoil is very tame.

Dmaynor
09-10-11, 16:52
Not to hijack the thread but who did your conversions?

TOrrock
09-10-11, 16:57
Unless you're prepared to spend a fair amount of money, you'll be limited to a 10 rd. mag and a hellaciously long barrel for a pistol caliber carbine.

Recoil isn't bad, but I'm not a fan of the ergo's that go with that fixed thumbhole stock.

If it's blast and flash that your wife objects to, I'd probably go for a Colt 6540, send it to SAW Sales and SBR it.

That way you'd have a weapon with the same manual of arms as your 5.56mm, with an adjustable lop, in a caliber that is flatter shooting, lower recoiling, and more affordable than the .45 ACP that you'll have in the USC.

MikeCLeonard
09-10-11, 17:46
Not to hijack the thread but who did your conversions?

http://www.hdps.org/ did my conversion.

lloydkristmas
09-10-11, 17:51
I killed a hog with a buddies USC one time. Its a cool enough gun, if you dont care about the looks or lack of hicap mags.

If youre looking for a money-is-no-object reliable PCC, its great, but youre not getting a lot of bang for your buck.

Track down an AT-94P Mp5 copy and add the stock/handguard/compliance parts and youve got a cheaper-shooting gun that takes 30rd mags.

St.Michael
09-10-11, 18:16
I'm not going to lie I didn't think that the recoil or anything for her was going to be better I was just using that to sell her letting me buy a 1500 dollar rifle lmao. I was thinking of something in a handgun cal but I don't really know my options other then buying an AR. I figured it was just something different. what is the conversion?

ShipWreck
09-10-11, 18:19
One can argue ballistics all day long - but how about a PS90?

A lot of guys on the forums have them - and their wives enjoy shooting them. Low recoil, light weight, no flash and 50 round mags.

My wife's sister enjoyed shooting mine a few years ago (my wife hates guns and won't go shoot)

Ak44
09-10-11, 18:36
TBostic did my chop and reweld, stock catch, and engravement. So it's pretty darn authentic or close as it can be lol.

Kchen986
09-10-11, 18:58
I shot one about 7 years ago, IIRC the length of pull may be a little too long for smaller women. Soft recoil and accurate though.

St.Michael
09-10-11, 19:26
One can argue ballistics all day long - but how about a PS90?

A lot of guys on the forums have them - and their wives enjoy shooting them. Low recoil, light weight, no flash and 50 round mags.

My wife's sister enjoyed shooting mine a few years ago (my wife hates guns and won't go shoot)

that's too funny. I do like those but I don't think I could shoot one full time. Honestly I just want something that I like but that she can shoot. LOL. I guess I didn't really look at options. The HK would be like more novelty I guess then function. Too bad those UMPs are so much. Honestly lately I have just been thinking I want to SBR everything and get rid of everything else that's too long.

SteyrAUG
09-10-11, 19:54
I like mine.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/787/00000000020eu0.jpg

St.Michael
09-10-11, 20:00
those are awesome

El Cid
09-15-11, 16:34
Another option in 45 would be the Kriss TDI. I like my PS90, and it does have negligible recoil, but if my gf or wife was using a long gun in defense of herself and the family... I'd be less than comforted knowing she was using 5.7 (even w/ 50rd mags). Clearly it's better than nothing, but I'd prefer she use an AR or a 45ACP shoulder weapon. YMMV.

ETA: To the OP, everything you would need to know about the USC/UMP Conversion can be found at HKPRO. Good luck whatever you decide.

Renegade
09-15-11, 17:33
I think the recoil is more on UMP than AR. I love mine though.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/HK-UMP.jpg

warpigM-4
09-15-11, 17:59
http://www.hdps.org/ did my conversion.

I read on their site a while back that they were in the process of making a US made USC Receiver.
Anybody know what is up with it are they going to do it? I emailed them a few months back, But all I got was a "we are working on it"

EDIT: just saw on the web site ATF approved their receiver HMMMMMM I wonder how long before the are ready and what the cost would be

GlocksInMySocks
09-17-11, 15:24
Another option in 45 would be the Kriss TDI. I like my PS90, and it does have negligible recoil, but if my gf or wife was using a long gun in defense of herself and the family... I'd be less than comforted knowing she was using 5.7 (even w/ 50rd mags). Clearly it's better than nothing, but I'd prefer she use an AR or a 45ACP shoulder weapon. YMMV.

ETA: To the OP, everything you would need to know about the USC/UMP Conversion can be found at HKPRO. Good luck whatever you decide.

another good option, but once again, only if money is not an issue. My girlfriend and I both love shooting it, but it is seriously a novelty and don't expect it to be what it's not.

bondmid003
09-18-11, 22:39
As an owner of a G36 conversion I will say regardless of whether you go with HDPS, TBostic or Chopstix Kid, these are not cheap conversions.

Ak44
09-18-11, 23:00
Depends on what route you take...obviously a chop and reweld is going to be the more expensive as oppose to the stock adapter route.

bondmid003
09-19-11, 02:24
Depends on what route you take...obviously a chop and reweld is going to be the more expensive as oppose to the stock adapter route.

True, but even a HDPS conversion is far from cheap. I purchased my HDPS G36 for far less what they list on their website (mines not SBR so that's part of it) but it was still more than I've ever paid for any of my other rifles.

St.Michael
09-20-11, 11:48
I think I am going to hold off on this HK rifle. It was between this or my first sbr and im really really leaning towards an sbr first. Though I have a feeling once I get my sbr I wont buy another full length rifle.

lloydkristmas
09-20-11, 12:09
I think I am going to hold off on this HK rifle. It was between this or my first sbr and im really really leaning towards an sbr first. Though I have a feeling once I get my sbr I wont buy another full length rifle.

Youll get a heck of a lot more for your money with the SBR than the USC.

Good choice. Keep in mind that wait times for SBR stuff is about 4 months from the ATF examiners at this point.