PDA

View Full Version : Improvements and Must Have Items For The AR

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 14:09
Not sure if we have had a thread like this before. If we have, then disregard it. I would like to hear what some of you think are must have items for the AR or items that have significantly improved the AR. You can list a specific item (rail system) or you can be brand specific.

If you disagree with someone elses choice, please explain your position. Better yet, offer a choice of your own.

Please don't just say "Chris Costas' bear trimming are awesome" but provide some reasons why you selected the item. Obviously having used the item would be a necessity; otherwise how can you comment? In no particular order are some of the significant items that I believe have made improvements to the AR.

1. BCM Gunfighter charging handles- This is one of those items where I wish I would have done it first. I remember back in early 2008 I saw a bunch of charging handle roll pins breaking in Baghdad. I remember thinking; can't someone else make a better handle? Someone did. They are very functional and well made. A definite improvement over the standard handle.

2. Flat Top Upper Receivers- This one is probably taken for granted. However, had the flat top not come into existence we would still be mounting stuff on carry handles and who knows what else. Nuff said.

3. Picatinny Standardized Rail- No doubt about it, this was a game changer. This single item probably revolutionized the AR more than anything else and allowed technology to be integrated into the weapon.

4. Vltor A5 Stock Kit- This is another game changer in my opinion. A stock system that will allow you to use the same lower receiver set up for a variety of uppers. From rifle length to SBR you are covered.

5. Battle Arms Development Selector Levers- Yeah, I know. It's just a selector lever. But, it's a solid one. I remember when they only options were RRA and some other company. Neither was very good. The Battle Arms levers are modular and rock steady. In addition their customer service is top notch. I really like having the option of an ambi selector lever.

I'd like to hear other thoughts.

Belmont31R
09-10-11, 14:17
1. Lo pro gas blocks and long(er) rails.

2. 2 stage triggers.

3. Optics including modern RDS's, and scopes built around tactical/precision shooting instead of hunting.

4. Rail mounted lights like the Surefire Scout.

5. QD mounts with Picatinny interface (ties in with rails, flat top uppers, and modern optics)

6. Compact infrared illuminators and lasers (primarily for LE and MIL use).

brzusa.1911
09-10-11, 14:22
Troy ambi selector

Troy ambi mag release

Flashlight

Aimpoint (I don't comprise on the RDS)

Light rifle

ILRedneck
I'll throw in the new generation of modular rails that let you have rail where you want/need it, smooth where you don't want it (Troy TRX Extreme, DD MFR, etc). I have smaller hands, and these let met get a good grip on my handguard, let me mount what I need (light, sling, VFG) and keep weight down. Big improvement for me personally.

lethal dose
All great choices, Gunz. I'll add:

1) Enhanced trigger guard... great when workin' it in the cold with bulky gloves on.
2) An ergonomic grip of sorts. I prefer the magpul varients (one of their few products I love).

Will list more later.

MistWolf
09-10-11, 14:35
2. 2 stage triggers.

I question this. While the Geisselle trigger is a good one, is it necessary to use a two stage design to achieve a reliable, safe clean break? Would a single stage trigger with a clean break be less safe or less reliable than a two stage?

What is most responsible for modernizing the AR is the combination of the flat top upper and the Picatinny rail

Hmac
09-10-11, 14:53
Piston gas systems, like the Huldra.

LOL...just kidding.

Compensators. While I don't disagree that proper technique and training will minimize or eliminate the need for this, it remains a very useful add-on. Not necessarily "must-have", but for me, BattleComp is definitely "very-very-nice-to-have".

I'd also add the wide variety of weapon light mounts (QD like VLTOR and fixed like Gear Sector), QD mounts for optics, and QD swivels for slings.

Otherwise, I can't add anything to IG's list. I've tried (and for the most part abandoned) other doodads (BAD lever and AFG come to mind).

Belmont31R
09-10-11, 14:56
I question this. While the Geisselle trigger is a good one, is it necessary to use a two stage design to achieve a reliable, safe clean break? Would a single stage trigger with a clean break be less safe or less reliable than a two stage?

What is most responsible for modernizing the AR is the combination of the flat top upper and the Picatinny rail

Personal preference and use plays a big role but in general I think its a major improvement over USGI type semi autos and especially USGI FA/3RD triggers.

Not debating aftermarket single vs. double stages.

steelonsteel
09-10-11, 14:58
Modern fast attach suppressors are a HUGE improvement for the military/LEO community.

This is small, but I can't tell you how happy I was when people started making the head of the pistol grip screw with a flat head instead of an allen key head. A longer flat head is WAY easier to find in a pinch than the right size allen key.

I would also agree that the Gunfighter charging handle is simply something EVERY AR15 should have.

Leonidas24
09-10-11, 15:11
As previous members have mentioned:

1. Gunfighter charging handle

2. Aimpoint CompM2 and beyond

The GFH is one of my favorite upgrades that I've made to my AR. Everything else I have (except my H1) can be changed out for a simpler/cheaper alternative. i.e. a Surefire Scout light can be replaced by a G2 and VTAC mount, a MIAD for a Tangodown BG16, etc; however, the H1/T1 is a brilliant piece of equipment that will be on everyone of my ARs from here after.

TonyTacoma
09-10-11, 15:17
Personal preference and use plays a big role but in general I think its a major improvement over USGI type semi autos and especially USGI FA/3RD triggers.

Not debating aftermarket single vs. double stages.

I agree, the SSA is on my list, especially for our guys filling the DM role.

All the light weight equipment for the AR platform is a great step.

Also optics.

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 15:22
I want to add to my list. I think I was hesitant or maybe I overlooked it. Magpul PMAG's. Here's why. They are solid magazines and seem to be able to take abuse. They have good followers and unlike aluminum or steel magazines if they are damaged you will probably notice it right away. In addition (at least with mine) all of my magazines can be loaded with 3o rounds, no problem.

jwperry
09-10-11, 15:47
Pistol grips that don't have the little finger bump on them(don't know why the A1 grip was ever replaced with the A2).

Stocks that don't have a beard-puller hole in the top.

Gun fighter charging handle. I know it probably isn't proper, but I've really come to love being able to 'slap' my GFH's large latch to charge the gun(when loaded from closed bolt) or clear a malfunction.

GTifosi
09-10-11, 15:57
It's not really made the rounds amongst large numbers of persons yet so can't legitimately be claimed as an absolute, but I can potentially see where the RevEng FCD would make it to the improvement lists.

thopkins22
09-10-11, 16:23
1. BCM Gunfighter charging handles- This is one of those items where I wish I would have done it first. I remember back in early 2008 I saw a bunch of charging handle roll pins breaking in Baghdad. I remember thinking; can't someone else make a better handle? Someone did. They are very functional and well made. A definite improvement over the standard handle. I think it's a definite improvement IF you've found a need for an extended latch. I *like* an extended latch, but it hasn't proven itself to be crucial or vastly superior to me over the standard assembly. For extended latches, I would agree that it's a very large improvement.

. Vltor A5 Stock Kit- This is another game changer in my opinion. A stock system that will allow you to use the same lower receiver set up for a variety of uppers. From rifle length to SBR you are covered. I believe it's improvements are relatively minor. At what point do we recognize that carbine extensions with H buffers work pretty superb with damn near every upper around...as do rifle extensions/buffers?

5. Battle Arms Development Selector Levers- Yeah, I know. It's just a selector lever. But, it's a solid one. I remember when they only options were RRA and some other company. Neither was very good. The Battle Arms levers are modular and rock steady. In addition their customer service is top notch. I really like having the option of an ambi selector lever.[/QUOTE] All of retreathell's rifles that I've shot have these...but I don't believe they've changed the way we use and view rifles like picatinny rails and flat top uppers did. In fact I'm not a huge fan of the combination he uses, if I were to utilize them, I'd have to make sure the right side uses the very smallest/thinnest lever available. I suppose my thing is that they improved the ambi safety, but serviceable ambi safeties already existed from LMT/KAC...and Colt's isn't ambi, but it is reversible.

I suppose that's my issue with most of the things listed. They're "improvements" but largely improvements that are very subjective and certainly not on the same level as the flat top upper/railed forend.

Belmont31R
09-10-11, 16:29
No ones mentioned it I dont think but AMMO. In the last 10 years we've seen Mk262, bonded duty loads, Mk318, TSX, TAP T2, ect. All have made the AR/M16/M4 make up for its lack of weight and size and greatly improved performance & lethality.

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 16:39
Well everyone has opinions. I think you missed the mark on somethings, but I am not going to turn this into a tit-for-tat fest.

I think it's a definite improvement IF you've found a need for an extended latch. I *like* an extended latch, but it hasn't proven itself to be crucial or vastly superior to me over the standard assembly. For extended latches, I would agree that it's a very large improvement.

I believe it's improvements are relatively minor. At what point do we recognize that carbine extensions with H buffers work pretty superb with damn near every upper around...as do rifle extensions/buffers?

5. Battle Arms Development Selector Levers- Yeah, I know. It's just a selector lever. But, it's a solid one. I remember when they only options were RRA and some other company. Neither was very good. The Battle Arms levers are modular and rock steady. In addition their customer service is top notch. I really like having the option of an ambi selector lever. All of retreathell's rifles that I've shot have these...but I don't believe they've changed the way we use and view rifles like picatinny rails and flat top uppers did. In fact I'm not a huge fan of the combination he uses, if I were to utilize them, I'd have to make sure the right side uses the very smallest/thinnest lever available. I suppose my thing is that they improved the ambi safety, but serviceable ambi safeties already existed from LMT/KAC...and Colt's isn't ambi, but it is reversible.

I suppose that's my issue with most of the things listed. They're "improvements" but largely improvements that are very subjective and certainly not on the same level as the flat top upper/railed forend.[/QUOTE]

Buck
09-10-11, 16:46
I think the Surefire X300 is THE light. I have several and use them for carbine, handgun, and hand held illumination.

Battlecomps do make a difference. They are no louder than an A2 and while they are not the best flash hider, or the best compensator, they do both pretty darn good and I can shoot accurately faster with them, than without them.

Aimpoint Micro, Again this is THE RDS, and it was a game changer.

YMMV

B

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 17:08
I agree about the Battle Comp. When I first got it and read some of the stuff online I thought "ho hum". But, when I really started to shoot it, I changed my mind.

I think the Surefire X300 is THE light. I have several and use them for carbine, handgun, and hand held illumination.

Battlecomps do make a difference. They are no louder than an A2 and while they are not the best flash hider, or the best compensator, they do both pretty darn good and I can shoot accurately faster with them, than without them.

Aimpoint Micro, Again this is THE RDS, and it was a game changer.

YMMV

B

Iraqgunz
09-10-11, 17:15
Belmont,

Good observation. You are right.

No ones mentioned it I dont think but AMMO. In the last 10 years we've seen Mk262, bonded duty loads, Mk318, TSX, TAP T2, ect. All have made the AR/M16/M4 make up for its lack of weight and size and greatly improved performance & lethality.

MistWolf
09-10-11, 17:32
Belmont makes an excellent point. Improvements in ammo has changed has not only changed the AR world for the better, but for all firearms

EzGoingKev
09-10-11, 17:55
Personally I think a board like this one is one of the most important things to come along.

Back in the day ammo was ammo, any brand of rifle was good to go, whatever scope the gun/sporting goods store had in stock, etc.

Now we have the lowdown on staking, carbine vs rifle vs mid-length, different stocks/triggers/rails/magazines/optics, brand quality, rifling, different brands and weights of ammo, etc.

VIP3R 237
09-10-11, 18:15
I'm taking a different route on this but how about the internet and forums such as this? the vast amount of knowledge available now days is unprecedented.

J8127
09-10-11, 18:18
I am the biggest improvement to the AR.

Some one had to say it. :lol:

SpaceWrangler
09-10-11, 18:25
No shit...

I believe the best thing to hit the AR industry has been The Chart.

Gun forum regulars from coast-to-coast and around the world have seen it and have taken time to contemplate its implications: That Not All AR's Are Created Equal. And in doing so, smart consumers have started asking questions and demanding better quality from less enthusiastic manufacturers.

The end result is the quality going up on the less expensive end of the AR spectrum. And with more hunters and casual shooters getting better and more reliable use out of lower-priced AR's, word is getting out that these aren't such bad rifles. Maybe AR guys aren't so evil after all.

The more AR's that get into the hands of hunters and casual shooters, the harder it will be for gun-grabbers to separate AR owners from more mainstream sportsmen.

Good work, Rob_S. Thanks.

duece71
09-10-11, 18:28
BUIS, the folding type. The GF charging handle that I bought feels much smoother than the original model. I bought one as the BCM upper that I bought needed one. Very nice piece.

rushca01
09-10-11, 19:04
Nobody has mentioned mounts. Love or hate him, Larue makes solid mounts that have a repeatable zero if removed. It's hard to mention RDS without the mounts...

ETA: Reading is fundemental, it has been mentioned...

Belmont31R
09-10-11, 19:07
Nobody has mentioned mounts. Love or hate him, Larue makes solid mounts that have a repeatable zero if removed. It's hard to mention RDS without the mounts...

5. QD mounts with Picatinny interface (ties in with rails, flat top uppers, and modern optics)]

2nd post...:p

juliomorris
09-10-11, 19:17
Improved extractors, springs and while not a ar part quality stacking tool like the moack.

JeepDriver
09-10-11, 19:17
I'm a lefty, so :

1. Ambi safety
2. Ambi mag release

I can make everything else work for me.

товарищ
09-10-11, 19:37
I love ladder rail covers. Take one look at any unprotected railed M16/M4 floating around in a military/LEO armory and you'll see why. I don't have a problem with blem'ed stuff, but some people manage to put some big ass dents in their rails.

cgjane
09-10-11, 19:37
Training and or Competitions.

Just 10/15 years ago you had to get advice/ tips and tricks/ tactics from a MIL/LEO friend. There were no companies that would take Civs on in training them to use their weapons. Now that competitions are around tactics and habits have been refined, so much so that competition "habits" have been adopted by MIL/ LEO

Quiet-Matt
09-10-11, 19:50
It's not really made the rounds amongst large numbers of persons yet so can't legitimately be claimed as an absolute, but I can potentially see where the RevEng FCD would make it to the improvement lists.

+1 on the RevEng FCD. I've got em on two of my carbines and they make soo much sense. Two big thumbs up.

I'll throw in a vote for MOE pistol grips and BCM Gunfighter CH's also.

-Matt

Scimitar2
09-10-11, 20:17
Quality 2 point sling like the VCAS is a requirement on every rifle I own.

jhs1969
09-10-11, 20:27
M4C, never before had their been so much knowledge and expertise to be had from a single source. The AR system has matured beyond belief from when I entered the AR world back in the mid 80s.

seb5
09-10-11, 20:34
I think the most important long term benefit to the AR world is the popularity that the system has gained. This has helped all of us in our continued efforts to protect out firearms rights by reaching people that had little if any interest in firerams but love the AR system for whatever reason. Hunting, self defense, 3 gun, target shooting, or just telling lies about, it has gained many new shooters.

I think most of our improvements are subtle and subjective. Many shooters couldn't tell the difference between a Yankee Hill rail, a UTG, or a DD lite rail. Many are personal likes and dislikes by the educated, the real shooters, or the serious connissuers of the system.

Just about every AR I own or build automatically gets the following;

Troy ambi mag release (I'm left handed),
Ambi safety,
Gunfighter charging handle,
Giesselle, usually SSA-E, SSA if used for duty.
BFG sling w/QD's,
Tango Down battle grip,
Magpul CTR,
Battlecomp,
Noveske end plate.

Most of these are just preference but being left handed the ambi safety, mag release, and gunfighter are the most important to me.

RogerinTPA
09-10-11, 20:35
Quality 2 point sling like the VCAS is a requirement on every rifle I own.

Agreed, especially padded slings. As well as longer lasting RDS options.

The next big evolution for RDSs are clear see through lens caps for, lets say...the T/H-1s. I pretty disappointed Aimpoint or anyone else hasn't come out with a viable solution.

Jay Cunningham
09-10-11, 20:39
This cult of the A5 buffer is interesting... I'll have to try one out.

Dunderway
09-10-11, 20:43
In my limited experience, I will say:

Modern Slings Choose your poison but a BFG sling with QD is so nice compared to a old school web strap or the three-point garbage I was forced to use.

MIAD Grip Not a huge deal, but it is cool to be able to fine tune my grip to fit my hand.

Surefire lights Just wish they had a reasonably priced model with a pressure pad.

Aimpint RDS From the value priced PRO to the M4, they all seem to get great reports and work extremely well. Especially for newer shooters.

polydeuces
09-10-11, 20:45
I don't think there's one item in particular, other than the fact that a magical alignment of the stars appears to have occurred in the last few years.
We're in a period where a small group of high-quality manufacturers and builders are offering a wide range high quality parts and options making it the best platform ever allowing us to take the AR way beyond anything Mr Stoner ever envisioned - the ultimate "mission adaptable" platforms, period.
From CQB to long range, from .22 to .50bmg, is there any other that can do this?

Dunderway
09-10-11, 20:58
I don't think there's one item in particular, other than the fact that a magical alignment of the stars appears to have occurred in the last few years.
We're in a period where a small group of high-quality manufacturers and builders are offering a wide range high quality parts and options making it the best platform ever allowing us to take the AR way beyond anything Mr Stoner ever envisioned - the ultimate "mission adaptable" platforms, period.
From CQB to long range, from .22 to .50bmg, is there any other that can do this?

Great post.

Dunderway
09-10-11, 20:59
The DPMS Panther "Sweet 16" cannot be left off the list and right behind it but not by much the Rock River Arms "Operator" collapsible stock!;)

Joke?

northern1
09-10-11, 21:23
Yup !!! Sites like this where we can debate these things and decypher what is shit and what isn't and HOW is important even though it isn't directly related to the weapon. Knowledge is power. Not being an armorer or a gunslinger this site has greatly increased my learning curve.

YVK
09-10-11, 21:29
This cult of the A5 buffer is interesting... I'll have to try one out.

I am interested to hear the impressions. I've found zero quantifiable difference, and my 14.5 middy didn't run well with it. Quantifiable such as timer proven.

I am slightly torn by name of this thread since "improvements" and "must haves" seem like two different categories to me. The must haves for me are in-spec quality receivers, including flat-top upper, quality BCG, quality bbl, TangoDown or MIAD grip, ergonomic stock - there are many, and ability to mount light, rds and good sling.

The improvements for me are midlength gas systems, light free float rails, quality irons, various muzzle devices and Geissele triggers.

jet80tv
09-10-11, 21:34
Joke?

Hell no! These are two bonafides when it comes to AR platform enhancement, they are each revolutionary in their own way. Of course it's a joke although I have seen some YouTube videos where the directors of those videos may beg to differ!;)

RogerinTPA
09-10-11, 21:34
Joke?

Troll trying to stir the shitpot.

Chameleox
09-10-11, 21:50
Training and or Competitions.

This right here.

The plethora of quality trainers, and the relative availability of good training events and competition opportunities, has done a lot for the platform and the industry. Lessons learned in combat are taught in training, and that spawns new ideas for TTPs, as well as products.

djegators
09-10-11, 22:05
In a way, its all of the above mentioned items...the AR is now such an easily customized and personalized platform...the options are endless. Sure, a base 20inch rifle with fixed carry handle and A2 stock and grip will get the job, there are so many ways to make it fit you and your needs. I really don't think there is anything that compares.

friendlyfireisnt
09-10-11, 22:07
Joke?

I think that's safe to say. ;)

Back on topic.

- Information. 5 years ago if you took a poll of average AR-15 owners, you would find RRA and Bushmasters were considered top of the line. Few people knew about BCM. Even fewer cared about HPT & MPI'd bolts and barrels.

Now people have become more educated regarding quality control and quality components. That's why more manufacturers have jumped on board with putting together weapons built to spec. Customers are demanding it.

- PMAGs. I'll agree on this one, but maybe for a different reason. Remember how when these came out, most people were hesitant to use a polymer magazine? Remember how people were concerned about how long they would last? Just about every new ar15 owner I have talked to in person has ordered PMAGs this last year. And how many other companies are now making their own polymer magazine. Sure Magpul wasn't the first, but they were the first to really make it work.

- RDS. I can think of few things that have improved the capabilities of a carbine like a RDS.

- Quality adjustable 2-point slings. What an improvement over what was available previously.

Kfgk14
09-10-11, 22:31
I want to add to my list. I think I was hesitant or maybe I overlooked it. Magpul PMAG's. Here's why. They are solid magazines and seem to be able to take abuse. They have good followers and unlike aluminum or steel magazines if they are damaged you will probably notice it right away. In addition (at least with mine) all of my magazines can be loaded with 3o rounds, no problem.

I'd add to this, just good polymer mag's in general. My Lancer L5 AWM 20 rounders are the best 20 round magazines I've ever used, better than any GI aluminum 20's out there. They offer good grippiness, I find they're better than the Magpul 20's in reliability, and they just look good. Polymer mags have been a big improvement for the AR world (not that the GI aluminum mags or the steel mags out there are bad, just that the polymers rock).

Another one is anti-tilt followers. Big improvement in magazine technology when Magpul began selling these.

Some might argue the Magpul itself (and the ranger plates) are a big improvement for AR's, and magazines in general.

Jay Cunningham
09-10-11, 23:00
Not sure if we have had a thread like this before. If we have, then disregard it. I would like to hear what some of you think are must have items for the AR or items that have significantly improved the AR. You can list a specific item (rail system) or you can be brand specific.

If you disagree with someone elses choice, please explain your position. Better yet, offer a choice of your own.

Please don't just say "Chris Costas' bear trimming are awesome" but provide some reasons why you selected the item. Obviously having used the item would be a necessity; otherwise how can you comment? In no particular order are some of the significant items that I believe have made improvements to the AR.

So I think we should use the Colt LE6921 as a baseline.

"Must have items":

Adjustable 2 Point Sling
Weapon Mounted White Light
1X Optical Sight

IMO to support mounting the above, an M1913 free floating rail system should be installed as a handguard replacement. The sling should be mounted close to the receiver front and back, or at least on the receiver front and at the stock. I prefer the BFG Vickers Combat Applications Sling with sewn-in QD mounts

The ideal place to mount a light is between the 10:00 and 2:00 position. I'm a big fan of a rail that goes in front of the fixed FSB. There is no better light IMO than the SureFire X300 in this application.

I'm not a fan of rail-mounted FSBs because I feel that they can easily get whacked out of true.

I like a QD mount for an optical sight, as I feel it should be easily removable to allow access to the iron sights even if the optic lenses are smashed or covered with foreign material. After experimentation I feel the Aimpoint Micro T-1 on an ADM mount is the way to go.

I like a short VFG to allow indexing on the light and to pull the gun into the shoulder. The Troy is currently the best out there.

IMO USGI magazines built to true mil-spec are the way to go. I have never had an issue with them used in a semi-automatic carbine.

Something instead of the A2 grip is necessary. I have recently grown partial to the TD BG-17 even with small hands. Otherwise a $3.00 Falcon Ergo Gapper does a nice job. Something that takes care of the gap and also provides a backstrap to properly position the thumb on the safety.

There are other preferences, but those are all "nice to have" items.

Dave_M
09-11-11, 01:38
The sling should be mounted close to the receiver front and back, or at least on the receiver front and at the stock.

This is the sling setup that I dislike almost as much as a single-point sling. I prefer sling mounts to be as far apart as possible to allow for the greatest sling tension advantage for shooting and adjustment for different position. If I were to run a, 'convertible' sling, I'd put the front points at the end of the rail and the secondary at the end-plate. The rear would just be at the top-rear of the buttstock (as a front end-plate and rear at the top rear is functionally similar to a single-point). Reminds me that I need to make a video about this very subject.

I also find it faster (on the shot clock) to do lateral shoulder switching with that setup over the one you detailed. I do find that there are more Marines who run this setup than army, likely to do with sling tension and blahblahblah taught early on by PMI's.

I like a short VFG to allow indexing on the light and to pull the gun into the shoulder.

Nod

IMO USGI magazines built to true mil-spec are the way to go.

Nod. Though I really like Lancers too

Something instead of the A2 grip is necessary. I have recently grown partial to the TD BG-17 even with small hands. Otherwise a $3.00 Falcon Ergo Gapper does a nice job. Something that takes care of the gap and also provides a backstrap to properly position the thumb on the safety.

I have small hands, never really bothered by the nub until I used a TD--can't go back. However, simply taking the nubbin' off with a belt sander makes a standard A2 1000% better. Never had a problem with the gap but, once again, I have small hands.

Magic_Salad0892
09-11-11, 03:41
Free Float Rail System Example: KAC URX system, or DD RIS II systems

Reasoning:

Not only the ability to mount things like handstops, VFGs, lights, NVG, Thermal equipment, and sling points, but also increases the inherent accuracy of the gun, and prevents zero shift due to tension from the sling, in awkward positions.

I have seen first hand a shooter with a 20'' rifle gas A2 clone, that had a 5'' shift at 50m because of sling tension.

VLTOR A5 receiver extension, and buffer kit (I use Sprinco M16 buffer spring)

Reasoning: One lower, many uppers. Also turned my SBR that wouldn't lock back on the last round (by design, and intention) into a gun that would. It changed reloads (unsuppressed) for me.

Fully ambidextrous lower receivers Example: KAC IWS lower, or ADAC.

Reasoning: Ability to change magazines offhand, and similar to the same speed as a dominant hand reload is game changing for me, and is 100x more ergonomic. Also prevents me from accidentally hitting an aftermarket ambidextrous magazine release when I reach under the forearm to hit the bolt release. (Did that on a friend's LMT gun.)

Quality Sling, 2-Point, 1-Point, or Changable. Example: Gear Sector Two Point, Gear Sector One Point, or Gear Sector Slings with Mount-N-Slot

Maneuvrability is a game changer during CQB drills, and weapon transitions sped up drastically for me. As did support hand shooting speed, and manuevers.

Proper cheekweld stocks: Example: LMT SOPMOD, or VLTOR E-Mod

Makes repeatable shots easier, regardless of range, and makes shouldering the weapon faster. (for me)

QD Sling Methods: Example: KAC Push buttons, MASH hooks, HK hooks, etc.

Definitely required for me, due to the quick ability to make a two point sling, into a single point sling, or get the sling off of me if the gun gets trapped.

Quality Ammunition Example: Winchester 64 gr. Bonded 5.56mm load.

Greatly increases the lethality of the M4FoW, even in Mk. 18 CQBR type guns, and bonded loads make fragmentation range less of a worry, and defeat barriers well.

Quality Magazines: Example: NHMTG USGI Aluminium magazines

They work well for me, aluminum magazines drop from lowers faster than PMAGs IMHO, and they are smoother coming out of pouches, I also like that they're cheap, plentiful, and they'll hold up better over the long run than a steel AK type magazine.

PMAGs aren't worth it to me, and I can load USGI magazines to full capacity.

Quality Optic Example: Aimpoint T1, EOTech XPS, NF 1-4X NXS, S&B ShortDot 1-4X PMII

A quality optic definitely greatly increases the lethality, and speed of the shooter. Along with accuracy at closer ranges. A variable power scope provides true 0-600m capability.

Quality Light and mount Example: KAC 1'' Light Mount, SureFire Scout

Target identification, EVERY defensive gun NEEDS this. It is required.

Also, (for me) I prefer guns with muzzle brakes, and suppressors. But I can't give somebody else a good reason to add one. It's a personal thing.

Iraqgunz
09-11-11, 08:07
Jay,

Thanks for the thoughts. I use the the Tango Down grip on all of my personal lowers and don't see the need for another.

I also a big fan of the TD QD VFG as well.

So I think we should use the Colt LE6921 as a baseline.

"Must have items":

Adjustable 2 Point Sling
Weapon Mounted White Light
1X Optical Sight

IMO to support mounting the above, an M1913 free floating rail system should be installed as a handguard replacement. The sling should be mounted close to the receiver front and back, or at least on the receiver front and at the stock. I prefer the BFG Vickers Combat Applications Sling with sewn-in QD mounts

The ideal place to mount a light is between the 10:00 and 2:00 position. I'm a big fan of a rail that goes in front of the fixed FSB. There is no better light IMO than the SureFire X300 in this application.

I'm not a fan of rail-mounted FSBs because I feel that they can easily get whacked out of true.

I like a QD mount for an optical sight, as I feel it should be easily removable to allow access to the iron sights even if the optic lenses are smashed or covered with foreign material. After experimentation I feel the Aimpoint Micro T-1 on an ADM mount is the way to go.

I like a short VFG to allow indexing on the light and to pull the gun into the shoulder. The Troy is currently the best out there.

IMO USGI magazines built to true mil-spec are the way to go. I have never had an issue with them used in a semi-automatic carbine.

There are other preferences, but those are all "nice to have" items.

TehLlama
09-11-11, 08:14
I think the three biggest incremental steps were pushed forward by the three companies that exemplify those product lines:
Knight's Armament
Aimpoint
Surefire

The first M4RIS units made the biggest conceptual difference, but adding rails like the FF M4 Match and adding sights to the handguard was yet another huge advancement forward. Modularizing the front half of the firearm and allowing for the plethora of modern accessories was best done here.

Surefire has dominated the weaponlight market, but to a degree they created the market. Nobody on this board will recommend building a serious use rifle without a weaponlight on it, and most will recommend that a SF unit rides along, but even I remember when mounting a flashlight on a rifle seemed gimmicky.

The CompM2/M68CCO and then the Micro are the two benchmarks, but this goes back to the gamechanger that a battery powered optic can be durable enough to attach to a carbine weapon system. Sure the battery life is amazing, and the size and form factor was impressive, but simply having a battery operated sight that didn't quit was huge.

I would contend that the A5 and PMag are simply incremental improvements as well. The PMag wasn't the first polymer mag, isn't the only one, and doesn't function any differently, it's simply the best option available. The A5 doesn't drastically alter function, just makes some configurations run more smoothly and across a wider gamut of impulse curves. The VFG/AFG/HS phenomenon is great, and reflects how recoil control is being taken into account more and more, but is just an offshoot of modular handguards becoming the norm.
The entire Magpul phenomenon isn't really revolutionary - just use a good polymer and tweak the design to work incrementally better. They broke ground with a few items, but for the most part they just have the best mousetrap for any given furniture item.

Ammo is up there, but again our community here is kinda the pointy end of that stick: the same way people look at gasoline as just gas, a lot of AR users just care if the box says the right caliber. The improved OTM, SOST, TSX type loadings are a huge advancement, but again an incremental one that has more to do with a tremendous influx of usable terminal ballistics data.
Things like slings are lagging behind, because of still too many people using three point units, and while ambi lowers and improved aftermarket triggers can make huge improvements, they don't fundamentally change how the weapon is employed or what it can do.

gtmule
09-11-11, 08:25
A Malkoff device LED drop in. It is a serious upgrade to any older SureFire incan 6V weapon-mounted light for a lot less than an entire new SF LED. It outperforms it as well.

MistWolf
09-11-11, 10:48
Ammunition isn't a small thing, it's a big thing. The improvements in ammo have been small steps, but added together, ammo has come a long way. During the sixties, seventies and even the eighties, shooters could see significant improvements in accuracy and terminal performance by rolling their own. With the premium ammo revolution that really took off in the nineties, that's changed. Blackhills is one company that's forced us to change how we view factory ammo with offerings that gave good shot to shot consistency from various weapons.

Another change that's come with the improvements in ammo is our cleaning regimen. Propellants burn much cleaner these days and leave less residue. In the past, Winchester ball powders were particularly bad at leaving residue from the coatings used to control burn rate and these powders were specially formulated to work well with high volume loading and were used in a lot of 223/5.56 loads. As I recall, Winchester 748 was one of the worse offenders when it came to residue, being bad enough to adversely affect even bolt actions. Now, powders cleanly enough that shooters who have come into the game only more recently wonder why anyone bothers to clean their firearms at all.

Dillon presses were another game changer. It put the ability to churn out tons of ammo cheaply in the hands of the average Joe Shooter in short amounts of time. People were putting more rounds downrange. The popularity of full automatic weapons and their semi-auto counterparts soared. But the other important side effect was the demand for powders that metered easily and consistently and burned cleaner. Manufacturers started stepping up to meet that demand.

During this time, ammo and reloading components got more affordable, including premium bullets which started to really come into their own. Writers pushed controlled expansion bullets and talked up construction while stressing the need to carefully choose the right projectile for the job. Shooters began demanding premium hunting ammo. Manufacturers began developing even more premium and specialized bullets.

Along with this was the "one shot stop" data being collected by one author in particular (I don't recall his name at the moment). While many today scoff at his attempts to quantify what pistol ammo and calibers were the best manstoppers, his data changed everything. LE agencies were forced to realize the standard 158 gr round nosed 38 Special was lacking. It accelerated the development of ammo with improved terminal performance all across the board. Law enforcement agencies began looking toward premium ammo for their patrol rifles as well. Manufacturers began offering premium and specialized ammo to the LE community.

Two other game changers was the North Hollywood Bank Robbery and Columbine. These tragedies have motivated more agencies to authorize patrol carbines for their officers than anything else. One officer I know personally, got approval for his agency to carry carbines by citing these two incidences. Now, more LE officers than ever carry ARs.

Cutting picatinny rails in the upper receiver is the single most significant change to the AR. The AR is the easiest rifle to install optics on, bar none. If the AR were still straddled with the integral carry handle, the AR would be just another rifle.

Improvements in ammunition, introduction of the picatinny upper and mission needs- these are the three things that have been most significant developments to the AR since it's adoption

mkmckinley
09-11-11, 11:35
One thing I consider a game changer is simple but often overlooked: better aftermarket pistol grips. There are a number of grips on the market, such as the Ergo and Magpul grips, that place your hand farther back relative to the trigger and give me better trigger finger placement. I've always hated shooting with the A2 grip because I have to curl my trigger finger back at a weird angle.

munch520
09-11-11, 13:29
Great thread IG, so far enjoying hearing responses and reasoning. Nothing really to be said after 3 pages but personally the A5 would be at the top of the list for me due to its flexibility across varied uppers. In general the modularity of the AR/M4 platform when outfitted with a flat top and quad rail is an obvious advantage when compared to others.

aziator
09-11-11, 14:19
One thing that I have enjoyed using recently is the Magpul BAD lever. While it is not for everyone I feel like it has improved my reload times slightly.

I love the DD MFR rail and all of the new caliber options have diversified what you can do with the AR system.

jwperry
09-11-11, 14:55
Jay,

Thanks for the thoughts. I use the the Tango Down grip on all of my personal lowers and don't see the need for another.

I also a big fan of the TD QD VFG as well.

Do you ever have a problem from the metal on the QD throw lever getting too hot?

Iraqgunz
09-11-11, 16:31
No, but I also don't do mag dumps with my weapons either. I also quite often wear gloves whenever I shoot a long gun as well.

Do you ever have a problem from the metal on the QD throw lever getting too hot?

trinydex
09-11-11, 18:23
no one mentioned any ambidextrous lower receiver yet...

no one cares about ambidexterity?

friendlyfireisnt
09-11-11, 18:42

I don't. But I am sure that it matters to some others.

ALCOAR
09-11-11, 19:09
IWS ambo lowers w/ BAD ST's and Geissele triggers have helped advance my personal AR's.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC00462-1.jpg

jonconsiglio
09-11-11, 19:47

I've taken many classes and train regularly using both regular and Ambi lowers and I personally see no advantage to the Ambi KAC. But then again, I'm right handed and when I transition to my left side, it's usually for a very short time at a barricade or around a corner. When I release the bolt when shooting right handed, I still release it the traditional way as I've found no increase in speed so it's not worth it for me.

All of my rifles have ambi selectors, but only because my index finger on my right hand, when shooting right handed, aids in engaging the safety.

I'm not saying they don't have their place, especially for lefties, but I haven't found any real benefit for me, and I've given it a serious effort.

Clint
09-11-11, 21:08
You know what's interesting here?

Of all the specific individual improvements to the AR platform that have been mentioned, perhaps the the single biggest improvement is the fact that it is a platorm.

Optics, mags, grips, rails, stocks, muzzle devices and variant cartridges.

All of these different parts and improvements interchange and work together.

Can you even think of another weapon system with this level of aftermarket support, flexibility and attention to critical detail?

The whole truly is greater than the sum of the parts.