PDA

View Full Version : Outfit a Colt 6920??

Colt 6920
11-10-07, 15:11
I just bought a Colt LEO 6920. I'd like to start outfitting it with one of the Aimpoint Comp style scopes. Since I'm new to AR's I'm not quite sure where to start. I've spent a week researching the different Aimpoint scopes and the ENDLESS mounts and rails that can be used. Also confusing is the fact that may of the mounts and rails look similar but vary in price from 9 bucks to well over a hundred. I want a good soild system...nothing cheap. I like my AR handle but could be persuaded to get rid of it if necessary. The stock forend rails on the 6920 also appear to be larger in diameter than most other AR's. Is this a problem for some of the mounting options?? As you can see I'm lost here.:confused:

What do you experts consider a good quality Aimpoint scope and mounting system for the Colt LEO 6920?
I sincerely appreciate the help!

mvician
11-10-07, 15:19
Aimpoint CompML2 and LaRue Tactical LT-129 mount :D

R.Miksits
11-10-07, 15:49
Id do a Aimpoint Comp M4 in the standerd mount. Larue tactical forend rails with a LaRue Tac Pinned Gas Block. Troy Flip up Sights and a Surfire M910C.

Thats the way my next LMT will be set up :)

R.Miksits

sgtlmj
11-10-07, 15:55
Comp M3 (5 year battery life) and a Larue LT-129 (pictured) or an LT-150.

The stock handguards on the 6920 are double heat shield and are larger. You can replace these with just about any rail you want. I've gone with the Knight M4 RAS, which is mil issue and can be found used for $150 if you look around.

http://www.sgtlmj.com/le6920.jpg

Colt 6920
11-10-07, 16:02
Now thats one beautiful rifle.

I leaning towards the Aimpoint M3 in a 2MOA dot size. I have an older Aimpoint Comp that looks and works great but the 7 MOA dot seems a little to large for my taste.

What type of sling is on yours?

sgtlmj
11-10-07, 16:06
I went with the 4MOA dot, simply because a dot sight is meant for close work, and the smaller dots take just a tad longer to pick up if it's really bright out. If I need to stretch, I flip up the BUIS. Mine's a GGG w/ the 300-600m aperatures.

The sling is a Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Applications Sling. It's a 2 point with a quick adjust and quick release. I've tried them all, single points, 3 points modifications of each, and the Vickers is just plain K.I.S.S.
http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=79

Colt 6920
11-10-07, 16:34
I checked the Vickers site. The sling is clearly far superior to the stock sling provided with the Colt.

I haven't had the opportunity to use a 2MOA red dot yet. I hadn't considered that it might be difficult to use in bright daylight. The smallest I've used is a 5MOA and it made bullseye paper target hits difficult.

I like the looks of the Larue tactical forend rails mentioned earlier. The few reviews I've read all appear to rate them positively. I'm not sure I have the mechanical know how yet to mount new rails...or the gas blocks that I assume they would require.

Looks like the stock handle is going to be history. I was hoping to keep my irons (mostly because it's another option that leads to numerous possible choices and more importantly compatibility.

Thanks Again!! This rookie appreciates all the advice.:)

rob_s
11-10-07, 18:13
If you post your location, you might find someone local that's willing to help you install the rail. If not, many of the Larue dealers offer installation as an extra if you buy the rail from them and send them your upper.

ETA:
There is also the Daniel Defense Omega rail that requires much less removal to install.

You can cut the carry handle down to make a fixed rear BUIS. I did it on one of my 6933s and like it very much.

sparrow
11-10-07, 19:32
Chiming in late: Both my Colts sport the Comp M3 2MOA
The shortie in a PRI mount and the 6920 with the KAC Upright mount.
Sorry for the crappy pics, gotta some light in the den.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/sgaaliyah/Mock18MODK003.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/sgaaliyah/921.jpg

Dport
11-10-07, 19:43
Ammo is always a good way to compliment a rifle.

supertac
11-11-07, 01:05
Aimpoint M2 on a Larue mount or Eotech 512 will work fine. I suggest trying both out first. The view is quite different.

I would also suggest a single point sling and BUIS.

You'll figure out what you need from there.

My Builds:

1) LE6920 ---------------- I chose the KAC RAS, tdown forward grip, Surefire Scout Light, Magpul MIAD, Magpul CTR, Eotech 512, and ARMS #40L BUIS

2) LE6921 ---------------- Standard Detach Carry handle, standard M4 handguard, Magpul MIAD, Magpul CTR (my KISS build)

3) LE6921SOCOM ------- Troy 10" MRF MX rail, chopped fsb, Aimpoint M2 on a 129 mount, Surefire M951, forward grip, Magpul MIAD, Magpul CTR, ARMS #40 BUIS

Single point sling on all 3. I love Magpul furniture as you can tell.

aaaand about 4k rounds of ammo left. ;)

sgtlmj
11-11-07, 08:53
Ammo is always a good way to compliment a rifle.

+1

All the cool stuff in the world doesn't do you any good unless you are proficient with the rifle. A 22LR conversion kit goes a long way towards this as well.

toddackerman
11-11-07, 09:14
I checked the Vickers site. The sling is clearly far superior to the stock sling provided with the Colt.

I haven't had the opportunity to use a 2MOA red dot yet. I hadn't considered that it might be difficult to use in bright daylight. The smallest I've used is a 5MOA and it made bullseye paper target hits difficult.

I use the Comp M3 with the 2 MOA dot in the bright sunshine of Colorado with no problems. Usually it is set one click below max brightness for outdoor, and 2below max for indoor. The max brightness setting is VERY bright. I find it to be just as fast at CQB as my 6MOA EOTech was.

I'm not sold on the integrated Comp M4 mount yet as there have been reported problems, and prefer LaRue over any other alternative.

Patrick Aherne
11-11-07, 14:12
Get the Comp C3 if you don't need night vision or to go more than 15' below the surface if submerged. You will save about a $100 and can use that to buy a Larue LT-150. Heck, just send the upper to Grant and have him outfit you with the Larue rail, Aimpont, mount, Vickers 2 point and light. One stop shopping + he would probably make you a screaming deal on the full set up.

Colt 6920
11-11-07, 16:38
I assume "Grant" is the person or company to talk to if I decide to have the modifications done by someone else.

Who is he and how do I get in contact with him?

I appreciate all the great advice....I'm going to go with a LaRue mount, probably:D a Comp 3 (2MOA) and I still haven't decided on the front rail. I really like the Knight M4 RAS it just quite expensive. I haven't found a used one. (see sgtlmj's pic above...AWESOME...Thats ultimatley the outfit I'd like to have).

Had a BLAST this morning getting rid of a few left over halloween pumpkins!

By the way, I just purchased 500 rounds of "Black Hills Ammunition Remanufactured .223 Remington 55 Gr. Soft Point" for 179.00 dollars. Is this satisfactory for training with the Colt 6920? Hopefully it's not too dirty and/or won't do any damage to the rifle.

Thanks again everyone!!

Patrick Aherne
11-11-07, 18:18
Grant is half of http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home G&R Tactical. He's the one I buy all my AR stuff from and one of the guys that runs this site.

Black Hills Ammo is excellent.

scottryan
11-11-07, 18:25
Get the Comp C3 if you don't need night vision or to go more than 15' below the surface if submerged. You will save about a $100 and can use that to buy a Larue LT-150. Heck, just send the upper to Grant and have him outfit you with the Larue rail, Aimpont, mount, Vickers 2 point and light. One stop shopping + he would probably make you a screaming deal on the full set up.

Comp Cs have no resale value and are not built as tough and I would never own one, even if I didn't have night vision or go in the water.

rob_s
11-11-07, 18:26
Comp Cs have no resale value and are not built as tough and I would never own one, even if I didn't have night vision or go in the water.

In that case, do you know where I can find a used one? ;)

scottryan
11-11-07, 18:29
In that case, do you know where I can find a used one? ;)

Nope and I don't even think they come in matte black.

czydj
11-11-07, 18:36
Comp Cs have no resale value and are not built as tough

It may be just the way I'm reading his post, but the Director of Military Biz for Aimpoint seems to disagree with your statement...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=71787&postcount=1

C4IGrant
11-11-07, 18:58
I assume "Grant" is the person or company to talk to if I decide to have the modifications done by someone else.

Who is he and how do I get in contact with him?

I appreciate all the great advice....I'm going to go with a LaRue mount, probably:D a Comp 3 (2MOA) and I still haven't decided on the front rail. I really like the Knight M4 RAS it just quite expensive. I haven't found a used one. (see sgtlmj's pic above...AWESOME...Thats ultimatley the outfit I'd like to have).

Had a BLAST this morning getting rid of a few left over halloween pumpkins!

By the way, I just purchased 500 rounds of "Black Hills Ammunition Remanufactured .223 Remington 55 Gr. Soft Point" for 179.00 dollars. Is this satisfactory for training with the Colt 6920? Hopefully it's not too dirty and/or won't do any damage to the rifle.

Thanks again everyone!!

C3's and LT mounts are in stock if you need one. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
11-11-07, 19:00

Everyting you just said is incorrect.

The C3 and ML3 are the exact same less water depth.

C4

C4IGrant
11-11-07, 19:01
It may be just the way I'm reading his post, but the Director of Military Biz for Aimpoint seems to disagree with your statement...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=71787&postcount=1

FJB is of course correct. The C3 represents one of the best values in the Aimpoint line.

C4

Colt 6920
11-11-07, 19:10
Patrick and Grant....thank you for the contact information...going to check out Grants site now. I may be sending him my upper....after the next paycheck :)

Patrick I'm glad to hear that Black Hills Ammo is good.....Thats what I've read on the posts...I'm just concerned because I bought the remanufactured to save a few dollars. I have read on several posts to "stay away from all remanufactured and surplus ammo".

scottryan
11-11-07, 21:25
Everyting you just said is incorrect.

The C3 and ML3 are the exact same less water depth.

C4

Tell me how not being nearly as water proof is "just as rugged" as a Comp M?

I define rugged as knock proof and water proof in an optic.

And my statement about them not holding their value for resale is true. Nobody I know has a Comp C. Nobody I know wants a Comp C, they all want the Comp M.

fred
11-11-07, 22:20
If you go with the EOTech, spring for a quality mount. Ours have been shaking loose/falling off lately in spite of my use of thread locker; the factory mount isn't up to snuff in my opinion.

Patrick Aherne
11-11-07, 23:24

They are more than tough enough for any use I might have, or any use that any normal folks might have. I've never been a Marine Recon or a Naval Special Warfare guy, so I don't need greater than 15' of waterproofing. I have an ML2 mounted on my rifle, but the next Aimpoint I buy will be a Comp C3. If you ever find a Comp C3 used, let me know.

Facts are facts and THE best red dot for most LEO and regular earth-people is the Comp C3. I make recommendations based on what mission the gear is intended to accomplish. For the vast majority of users, the Comp C3 is the most efficient choice. It also has the advantage of being available in both the 2 and 4 moa dot versions.

If you believe that you are a guy that needs capabilities of the M or ML series, fine. If you think it looks more cool or has a better sounding model number, bravo. If you want to have the most expensive Aimpoint model just for peace of mind or bragging rights, go for it. Just don't kid yourself that 99% of the shooting public would not be served well by a Comp C3.:cool:

Patrick Aherne
11-11-07, 23:27
Patrick and Grant....thank you for the contact information...going to check out Grants site now. I may be sending him my upper....after the next paycheck :)

Patrick I'm glad to hear that Black Hills Ammo is good.....Thats what I've read on the posts...I'm just concerned because I bought the remanufactured to save a few dollars. I have read on several posts to "stay away from all remanufactured and surplus ammo".

It has been my experience that Black Hills remanufactured ammo is fully the equal or better than most makers new ammo. This includes Remington, Winchester and Federal.

C4IGrant
11-12-07, 08:03
Tell me how not being nearly as water proof is "just as rugged" as a Comp M?

I define rugged as knock proof and water proof in an optic.

And my statement about them not holding their value for resale is true. Nobody I know has a Comp C. Nobody I know wants a Comp C, they all want the Comp M.

Are you punching out of a sub at 60ft? No your not. Will the C3 survive a river crossing? Sure will.

So just to make sure you understand, the C3 is 100% waterproof. Your just not going to be able to dive with it.

Show me one example if where someone sold their C3 and did not get a fair price. If people are figuring in "re-sale value" into their decision making process then they need to stay on the airsoft forums.

People want the M series for the following reasons:

1. Don't know that the C3 exists.
2. Want to look cool and impress their friends.
3. Believe that the C3 is not waterproof.
4. Believe that the C3 is not rugged.
5. Are afraid that the cool kids on TOS won't be impressed with their kit.

C4

C4IGrant
11-12-07, 08:05
For those that have never seen a C3, here is a pic of it with the Aimpoint see-thru covers.

Looks pretty "low speed" doesn't it. :rolleyes:

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20on%20LT%20mount2.JPG

markm
11-12-07, 08:33
It has been my experience that Black Hills remanufactured ammo is fully the equal or better than most makers new ammo. This includes Remington, Winchester and Federal.

I've fired some of the BH blue box. The components are good... (powder and bullet)

The ammo I bought, however, didn't have the casenecks trimmed into spec. I posted this on TOS a while back and one of the members over there with a brain confirmed this on the ammo he had.

Apparently it's not an issue..... judging by the gobbs of rounds shot up without complaint. :confused:

jackinfl
11-12-07, 08:45
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;93819]For those that have never seen a C3, here is a pic of it with the Aimpoint see-thru covers.

C4

HOLY C$#@,
That looks just like my low speed high drag M3. How much would i of saved?.....

Colt6920
11-12-07, 08:51
Can't never have enough Colt 6920's??????:confused:

Nathan_Bell
11-12-07, 08:51
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;93819]For those that have never seen a C3, here is a pic of it with the Aimpoint see-thru covers.

C4

HOLY C$#@,

Enough to buy a good mount and a lifetime worth of batteries (assuming you only live another 40 years ;) )

scottryan
11-12-07, 09:00
Are you punching out of a sub at 60ft? No your not. Will the C3 survive a river crossing? Sure will.

So just to make sure you understand, the C3 is 100% waterproof. Your just not going to be able to dive with it.

Show me one example if where someone sold their C3 and did not get a fair price. If people are figuring in "re-sale value" into their decision making process then they need to stay on the airsoft forums.

People want the M series for the following reasons:

1. Don't know that the C3 exists.
2. Want to look cool and impress their friends.
3. Believe that the C3 is not waterproof.
4. Believe that the C3 is not rugged.
5. Are afraid that the cool kids on TOS won't be impressed with their kit.

C4

You are so quick to tell me I'm wrong when I have a valid point.

Whether a specific user is going to dive down to 100 ft is irrelevant. The Comp C is not as submersible as the Comp M. That is 100% fact. Thus the Comp M is more rugged. You can't spin it any other way.

A scope that is more submersible is better sealed. This usually translates to heavier duty parts.

I never said the Comp C is not appropriate for most users as far as functionality.

As far as resale value, what if the user wants to get rid of their optic when a better version comes out? What does this have to do with being a poser or impressing people? Nothing.

C4IGrant
11-12-07, 09:17

C4

HOLY C$#@,

A lot. If you needed NV though, the C3 wouldn't work out.

C4

rob_s
11-12-07, 09:23

Whether a specific user is going to dive down to 100 ft is irrelevant. The Comp C is not as submersible as the Comp M. That is 100% fact. Thus the Comp M is more rugged. You can't spin it any other way.

A scope that is more submersible is better sealed. This usually translates to heavier duty parts.

I never said the Comp C is not appropriate for most users as far as functionality.

As far as resale value, what if the user wants to get rid of their optic when a better version comes out? What does this have to do with being a poser or impressing people? Nothing.

All of which ignores the OP's question about how to outfit HIS 6920. ;)

C4IGrant
11-12-07, 09:25

I think too many times, people that are NEVER going to use a piece of gear like a SEAL is, get caught up in specs. The C3 may not go down as deep as the M series, but no Civy or LE shooter is ever going to miss it. So again, why pay for something that your not going to use? Its kind of like the guys that buy the NV compatible Aimpoints and will never own a NV device. Makes no sense.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your the ONLY ONE that believes you have a valid point here.

According to Aimpoint, the parts are all the same. So you do not get better "parts" in a M series.

I have never seen anyone not be able to sell the C3 (for a fair price) because it is not a "M" series.

People get wrapped around the axle when it comes to having to have the Mil-Standard just because they see some guy in IZ with it on his weapon. The C3 will do everything the same as a ML3 (less pop out of a sub) for a lot less money. This is a simple fact.

C4

C4IGrant
11-12-07, 09:44
Another pic of the C3 and what it comes with.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Aimpoint/C3%20components.JPG

ST911
11-12-07, 10:16

My experience as well.

Substantially better than those, in fact, as they refuse to compromise their QC for the sake of increased production.

markm
11-12-07, 10:29
My experience as well.

Substantially better than those, in fact, as they refuse to compromise their QC for the sake of increased production.

I tend to disagree. Although the components seemed top notch to me, they didn't go the extra step of trimming the cases back into spec.

Not sure if this is still the case, since BH blue box is not easily found anywhere these days.

Their expander balls must be pretty brutal, because they use once fired Mil brass, but their case stretching is way beyond what I get on my Dillon with comparable brass.

BH has figured out one thing.... SHINEY SELLS! They polish the living shit out of their cases.... so much so that the head stamps on the rounds I bought were deteriorating.

scottryan
11-12-07, 10:36
According to Aimpoint, the parts are all the same. So you do not get better "parts" in a M series.

If they are the same, then why is one rated deeper than the other? I'm technically educated and design stuff everyday. I don't need to be employed with Aimpoint to conclude one is made different than the other.

People get wrapped around the axle when it comes to having to have the Mil-Standard just because they see some guy in IZ with it on his weapon. The C3 will do everything the same as a ML3 (less pop out of a sub) for a lot less money. This is a simple fact.

I never disputed that.

C4IGrant
11-12-07, 15:13
If they are the same, then why is one rated deeper than the other? I'm technically educated and design stuff everyday. I don't need to be employed with Aimpoint to conclude one is made different than the other.

I never disputed that.

Generally, they just seal the optic differently (or too a different standard) to get the greater depth allowance. I will contact the .Mil Aimpoint rep on this forum and he can clear things up for you.

C4

GONIF
11-12-07, 15:23
+1 on the C3 ,Grant has sumed it up as well as you can . the only problem with aimpoints is the cost of a quality mount,it woud be great if the supplyed a good mount for a flat top for under $50.00.

FJB
11-14-07, 03:46
Grant is absolutely correct regarding the C3. It is absolutely a very rugged optic and when placed in a quality mount like a LaRue it will retain and maintain zero as well as the CompM3 or ML3. The difference between the CompM3 and ML3 is 50 additional layers of lens coating and lower LED Red Dot settings for NVD use. The difference between the ML3 and the C3 is water depth pressure rating. M3/ML3 are built to withstand depths of 150ft and the C3 is built to withstand depths of 15 ft. The C3 is a model built to offer LE and Civilians a rugged optic with the same exceptional battery life of 50,000 hours (over five years - 365days X 24 hours = 8760 hours) constant on at setting 7 of 10 at a more affordable price, but with fewer features that they may not need. However, to say that the C3 is not as rugged or durable with regards to retaining and maintaining zero in a quality mount as an M3 or ML3 because it is not rated to 150 ft water depth would not be accurate.

Regarding Aimpoint Mounting solutions for the CompM2/ML2/M3/ML3/C3, we will be introducing improved versions of the QRP and QRW mounts at SHOT 2008. We will also be introducing our QLP (Quick Lever Picatinny) mount for the CompM4. More to follow.

S/F

C4IGrant
11-14-07, 08:14
Grant is absolutely correct regarding the C3. It is absolutely a very rugged optic and when placed in a quality mount like a LaRue it will retain and maintain zero as well as the CompM3 or ML3. The difference between the CompM3 and ML3 is 50 additional layers of lens coating and lower LED Red Dot settings for NVD use. The difference between the ML3 and the C3 is water depth pressure rating. M3/ML3 are built to withstand depths of 150ft and the C3 is built to withstand depths of 15 ft. The C3 is a model built to offer LE and Civilians a rugged optic with the same exceptional battery life of 50,000 hours (over five years - 365days X 24 hours = 8760 hours) constant on at setting 7 of 10 at a more affordable price, but with fewer features that they may not need. However, to say that the C3 is not as rugged or durable with regards to retaining and maintaining zero in a quality mount as an M3 or ML3 because it is not rated to 150 ft water depth would not be accurate.

Regarding Aimpoint Mounting solutions for the CompM2/ML2/M3/ML3/C3, we will be introducing improved versions of the QRP and QRW mounts at SHOT 2008. We will also be introducing our QLP (Quick Lever Picatinny) mount for the CompM4. More to follow.

S/F

Thanks much for clearing everything up.

C4

scottryan
11-14-07, 09:31

S/F

What is the difference in construction between a C and an M series?

GONIF
11-14-07, 13:31
so what's the best price on a C3 and LaRue mount ? I have been useing Eotech's and want to try a Aimpoint.

C4IGrant
11-14-07, 13:32
so what's the best price on a C3 and LaRue mount ? I have been useing Eotech's and want to try a Aimpoint.

$440.

C4

supertac
11-14-07, 18:07
Or you can pick up a used M2 with LT129 mount for $330 shipped.

Keep a close eye on gun forum sales adds.

toddackerman
11-14-07, 18:53
Or you can pick up a used M2 with LT129 mount for $330 shipped.

Keep a close eye on gun forum sales adds.

I would tend to agree with this...especially on optics.

I have done several exchanges on this site and TOS, and I always look for the "Feedback" on every seller. So far, so good. But I always test the products I receive immediately, and I have their phone number (which I test for verification that it is legit), and address just in case.

This may be a little "weak", but IF you require a US Postal Money Order for funds, and insist on using US Postal Service for shipping and the seller takes advantage of you, and you receive something that is less than advertised regarding the part, model, condition etc....it's Mail Fraud, which is a felony.

Again, this may sound a little weak, but when I explain it to the seller as "protecting both of us" and the consequences, and they balk...I walk.

wichaka
02-16-08, 17:35
I have a ML3 and it does work fine with night vision, the C3 will also work with night vision. Just place the setting on the first position, and you have a nice 2moa dot looking at you.

http://w3.gorge.net/scshields/coltm4.jpg

ST911
02-16-08, 21:39
Now that's purple.

condition 1
02-17-08, 09:16
Comp M3 (5 year battery life) and a Larue LT-129 (pictured) or an LT-150.

The stock handguards on the 6920 are double heat shield and are larger. You can replace these with just about any rail you want. I've gone with the Knight M4 RAS, which is mil issue and can be found used for $150 if you look around.

http://www.sgtlmj.com/le6920.jpg
This is the perfect set up,well done. don't over do it, because it look's cool.

threefeathers
02-17-08, 21:01
Here are my twin boys, Heckle and Jeckle, one with an EOTech the other with an Aimpoint.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/threefeathers/P4130075.jpg