PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms "Thunderbolt"

jet80tv
09-10-11, 20:03
Has anyone run a Rainier Arms "Thunderbolt" bcg good and hard? I have just the bolt as a spare/backup and never used it. I'm getting a BCM unmarked carrier to mate the bolt with to keep as a complete drop in backup or perhaps as the heart of a future build. The bolt is marked HPT/MPI etc... Rainier arms claims it's to TDP spec like BCM,DD etc..

ChicagoTex
09-10-11, 21:59
Rainier arms claims it's to TDP spec like BCM,DD etc..

In my opinion, you just answered your own question. Why would you buy something from someone who CLAIMS TDP spec when you can get one from someone you KNOW is TDP spec?

jet80tv
09-10-11, 22:19
Well it was basically given to me so I wasn't going to turn down an unused, new HPT/mpi bolt.

philipeggo
09-10-11, 22:23
They are a very respected vendor from what i gather and i have been shopping their website as of late for a new upper. I don't think you'll be disappointed .

Has anyone run a Rainier Arms "Thunderbolt" bcg good and hard? I have just the bolt as a spare/backup and never used it. I'm getting a BCM unmarked carrier to mate the bolt with to keep as a complete drop in backup or perhaps as the heart of a future build. The bolt is marked HPT/MPI etc... Rainier arms claims it's to TDP spec like BCM,DD etc..

Stickman
09-11-11, 00:12
In my opinion, you just answered your own question. Why would you buy something from someone who CLAIMS TDP spec when you can get one from someone you KNOW is TDP spec?

You seem to have some inside info about Rainier Arms that the rest of us don't. Don't be bashful, let us all know your secret.

oef24
09-11-11, 00:21
I can't wait to read this reply.

O

13MPG
09-11-11, 00:47
You seem to have some inside info about Rainier Arms that the rest of us don't. Don't be bashful, let us all know your secret.

I would put them right up there with Grant, BCM, and Jason @ Gear Sector as far as running a business with a sense of integrity, honesty, and customer support.

I also can not wait to hear the reply on how Rainier is misleading their customers…

docsherm
09-11-11, 03:35
I have 2 Rainier Arms "Thunder Bolts" and they are great. No Issues. I also have a BCM, DD, Noveske, Colt, LMT, and Young BCG. I would say that they are made just as good, if not better then all of them. When I am in the market for a BCG I will get one of those in the future.

And when they are out of stock it is only for a feew weeks, not months.

Rainier Arms also has some of the best Customer Service in the business. I will say that they are my go to company because of that.

ChicagoTex
09-11-11, 03:55

Whoa, whoa. You seem to misunderstand. I am NOT insinuating that Rainier is doing anything underhanded whatsoever. I am simply saying that since I, and the OP don't know with personal certainty the quality of RA products versus extremely thoroughly tested and recommended products from BCM, DD, et al, the aforementioned thoroughly tested products seem the more prudent choice.

Spikes claims their stuff is "totally TDP" too, and we saw where that went...

If anyone else can chime in and say they've tested and seen the proof of procedures/tests performed on Rainier Arms bolts I certainly won't argue with them. I'm simply saying I don't know and the OP didn't know, so my personal inclination (which is why I stated it as MY OPINION, which is worth exactly what you paid for it) would be to err on the side of caution and go with a BCM or DD bolt.

ETA: to the OP, I misread your post and thought you already had a CARRIER and was shopping for a bolt, not vice versa. I'd always be willing to run a free bolt (except maybe from mega-crappy outfits like Hesse/Vulcan, M1S, or Olympic) at the range and potentially even in the field if I was pleased with the results I saw on the range.

justin_247
09-11-11, 04:43
One of the big national manufacturers of bolts and carriers must have opened up their production line, because we're seeing a huge rash of small companies with their own branded versions. Just in the past few months, I've noticed PSA, Spike's, Rainier, and Global Tactical have all released these.

We're seeing the same thing with FN barrels - Spike's and PSA come to mind.

amd5007
09-11-11, 07:38
I am not making any judgments or trying to cast a shadow on Rainier arms in the public eye, but I am merely stating something I have noticed.

I believe the source that Rainier Arms uses is that same source that Del-Ton uses for their bolts. This is based off of the extremely similarity of the HPT/MPI markings on the one Del-Ton bolt I own, and the picture on the Rainier Arms website. If anyone wants to post more detailed pics of the markings of the Rainier Arms bolt, feel free. In that case, I will post more details on the Del-Ton bolt. Here is the comparison:

Del-Ton
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=1706

Rainier Arms (from the website)
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=2167

This might be an insignificant coincidence. Or if they are from the same place, RA might require higher testing standards from the company. But there it is.

SomeOtherGuy
09-11-11, 09:47
I am simply saying that since I, and the OP don't know with personal certainty the quality of RA products versus extremely thoroughly tested and recommended products from BCM, DD, et al, the aforementioned thoroughly tested products seem the more prudent choice.

But very few people here have any greater knowledge regarding products from BCM, DD, etc. The vast majority of us don't even have firsthand knowledge that Colt LE products like the 6920 actually meet the M4 TDP. Sure, most of us believe that to be the case, and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence (like the fact that they are reliable and durable in use), but how many here actually know it to be the case from either lab testing of those brands' products or from having a chance to oversee their production line through all stages of manufacturing?

Except for a few of the industry people here and perhaps the occasional government inspector, we have to rely on claims and reputation.

Spikes claims their stuff is "totally TDP" too, and we saw where that went...

Where did it go, exactly? I've followed that closely and all I saw was that one person had some lab testing done on a Spike's product and then decided, for whatever reason, not to publish the results. I find that entirely inconclusive. Maybe it passed with flying colors, or maybe it failed so badly he didn't think people would believe the actual results. I don't know.

jet80tv
09-11-11, 10:11
I am not making any judgments or trying to cast a shadow on Rainier arms in the public eye, but I am merely stating something I have noticed.

I believe the source that Rainier Arms uses is that same source that Del-Ton uses for their bolts. This is based off of the extremely similarity of the HPT/MPI markings on the one Del-Ton bolt I own, and the picture on the Rainier Arms website. If anyone wants to post more detailed pics of the markings of the Rainier Arms bolt, feel free. In that case, I will post more details on the Del-Ton bolt. Here is the comparison:

Del-Ton

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=1706

Rainier Arms (from the website)
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=2167

This might be an insignificant coincidence. Or if they are from the same place, RA might require higher testing standards from the
company. But there it is.
Well my RA bolt looks exactly like that delton color and all, the RA in the pic is diff. color wise but in person its the same. Yea I don't know about the quality but they have a lifetime warranty as does spikes, does that mean they expect them to fail? Does BCM,colt or DD have a lifetime warranty? I have a spikes bolt that has yet to fail me, was I lucky enough to get a tested one? I see this Denny @ Global Tactical had these "Thunderbolts" listed as his new "superduty" bolt, he used to have BCM as his "superduty" bolt. Did the BCM fail him somehow? Or did he get sick of not being able to acquire a steady stock for his customers and find an equal to or better alternative in the RA bolt or a substandard but steady supply?

nolt
09-11-11, 10:26
as justin_247 mentioned:
http://global-tactical.com/thunderboltpremiumarboltcarriergroup.aspx

another similar one with 'lifetime warranty'...
im just not sure how one would know if the published claims were correct without knowing where they come from. i realize my ignorance is not helpful but fwiw i do not find it to be an unreasonable question.

ra2bach
09-11-11, 10:32
One of the big national manufacturers of bolts and carriers must have opened up their production line, because we're seeing a huge rash of small companies with their own branded versions. Just in the past few months, I've noticed PSA, Spike's, Rainier, and Global Tactical have all released these.

We're seeing the same thing with FN barrels - Spike's and PSA come to mind.

and this is a good thing. but it's not necessary to have a "name" on the barrel or bolt, only that it be made in according to best practices and minimum standards adhered to.

if you're getting an FN barrel, that's a pretty good assurance it's good. but companies like BCM, Noveske, etc. have been producing top notch equipment for years and not until recently (in some cases) did we find out who is the OEM for those.

Daniel Defense forges their own barrels in house...

wahoo95
09-11-11, 10:54
So where could I find the "published "Specs AND testing certifications for BCM, DD, Spikes, RA, Delton, Denny's, PSA, PMT, Noveske, etc??? This info should be a sticky......

ccosby
09-11-11, 11:01
So where could I find the "published "Specs AND testing certifications for BCM, DD, Spikes, RA, Delton, Denny's, PSA, PMT, Noveske, etc??? This info should be a sticky......

Spikes had posted a bunch of info on their testing on tos although I never went through it.

wahoo95
09-11-11, 11:23
Spikes had posted a bunch of info on their testing on tos although I never went through it.

Yeah I read through theira info back when they published them on this site but they were removed. Would like the to see the same info for all the companies as it would make a great sticky thread and reduce the number the of these threads.

pennzoil
09-11-11, 11:27
I got a Rainier Arms Thunder Bolt is July last year with an upper they built for me and I had an issue with the firing pin as the plating seems to have flaked off the tip. Also the plating seemed lesser quality then my other AR's(Colt,DD). Rainer Arms shipped me a new firing pin no questions asked and sent a pre paid postage envelope so the firing pin in question could be returned. Which to me means they care about the product they are putting out and they wanted to see first hand the firing pin. They were excellent to deal with and offered top notch customer service.

My RA thunder bolt has different markings that appear to be some type of engraving. I'm surprised to here Delton mentioned even remotely close to RA.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/253/bcgyw.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7948/bcg1.png

This picture above with RA thunder bolt firing pin was the bad one they replaced no questions asked with a good firing pin.

Sampson
09-11-11, 14:48
as justin_247 mentioned:
http://global-tactical.com/thunderboltpremiumarboltcarriergroup.aspx

another similar one with 'lifetime warranty'...
im just not sure how one would know if the published claims were correct without knowing where they come from. i realize my ignorance is not helpful but fwiw i do not find it to be an unreasonable question.

The Denny's/GTS and the Rainier Thunder Bolts are the same. They're made to Denny's specs and re-branded for Rainier. Here are the specs as posted on Denny's/GTS's website:

http://globaltactical.com/_img.upload/upload/thunder%20bolt%20specs%20copy.jpg

justin_247
09-11-11, 15:04
and this is a good thing. but it's not necessary to have a "name" on the barrel or bolt, only that it be made in according to best practices and minimum standards adhered to.

I completely agree. I'm not trying to start a flame war by saying this, but I do have to question the certs on some of these components. Spike's was mercilessly attacked (to such an extent that they were banned from even replying on this forum) for releasing components that supposedly have the same quality of manufacture as components from BCM/Colt/DD/LMT at a lesser price point, and now these other brands are bringing out components that are at an even lower price point than Spike's.

... something doesn't add up here.

jet80tv
09-11-11, 16:20
That's my whole thing right there, why are most BCM, DD
etc.. fanboys so skeptical of any other manufacturer that claims their product is up to "spec" now I don't know about Rainier but I have seen some instances of pleased customers, so since I have one if their bolts I was just wondering if anyone had really put one of the RA bolts through it's paces. I like the Spikes products that I have and I like to see all the stuff spikes puts out but yea they are constantly hated on.

ra2bach
09-11-11, 16:43
I completely agree. I'm not trying to start a flame war by saying this, but I do have to question the certs on some of these components. Spike's was mercilessly attacked (to such an extent that they were banned from even replying on this forum) for releasing components that supposedly have the same quality of manufacture as components from BCM/Colt/DD/LMT at a lesser price point, and now these other brands are bringing out components that are at an even lower price point than Spike's.

... something doesn't add up here.

100% understand what you are saying. but for some reason Spikes was weighed in the balance and found to be lacking. I don't know the back story, I'll just say that due to some people's (owners) behavior/practices, they fit in better at different places. this is not one of the places that some of the "lesser" companies seem to fit in...

fwiw, some sites will allow discussion of "enthusiast" or "hobby" gear, but that goes against the tenets of why M4C was started. as a site dedicated to information to those who use guns for a living, it's pretty rigid in it's adherence/support for the acknowledged BEST in all categories, and I for one am very glad I don't have to sift through all the BS that can accompany other online discussion groups...

jet80tv
09-11-11, 19:19
I can understand the whole concept of those who utilize these weapons as a survival tool in their profession and I respect them and what they have to say but what I'm not seeing is hard evidence of some of these "hobby" manufacturers failing to live up to their claim in practice i.e. Spikes, PSA some others who are attempting to put out up to "spec" products and being shunned nonetheless. If I have a question regarding the durability of one of these products, why not ask someone who possibly used it in a real world application? I have found some good info here, even on things produced by someone other than BCM,LMT,DD etc. and I've obtained almost as much quality info from the enthusiasts on this forum as the professionals

nolt
09-11-11, 19:20
I for one am very glad I don't have to sift through all the BS that can accompany other online discussion groups...

agree.

m4brian
09-11-11, 19:51
Wow - it doesn't take long for most threads to turn into "Spikes bashing".

This is supposed to be about RA bolts. Huh?

IF Spikes is flaky, just make it a sticky (short) on why and let us move on. If it is a lie, just say why.

jet80tv
09-11-11, 20:09
Yeah I'm sure if it looks too much like someone thinks spikes could possibly be as good as, then this thread will be closed