PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Reel: Personal Escape Device

zacbol
09-10-11, 22:08
I've often wondered why someone hadn't invented something like this before. I'm surprised as well that it's as inexpensive as it its ($100). Don't know I have any need for one, but thought it was worth sharing.

Rescue Reel: Personal Escape Device (http://www.rescuereel.com/)

Rescue Reel is a personal escape device which allows someone of any size or ability to be safely lowered to the ground from a height of up to 1000 feet. To operate the Rescue Reel, a user steps into a universal harness, attaches Rescue Reel to a clip in the building, and allows Rescue Reel to lower them to the ground. By default, Rescue Reel will automatically lower a person at a safe rate of 6 feet per second but has the option to manually slow their descent using the handbrake.

Rescue Reel was invented by Kevin R. Stone, an orthopedic surgeon in San Francisco. Dr. Stone developed Rescue Reel in collaboration with Think2Build, a Stanford-trained engineering team.

eo500
09-10-11, 22:18
$100 deposit, $2,000-$2700 to purchase.

zacbol
09-10-11, 22:21
$100 deposit, $2,000-$2700 to purchase.
Ah, guess I didn't read carefully enough. That makes a hell of a lot more sense. Yikes.

montanadave
09-10-11, 22:33
If I worked (or lived) in a office or apartment tower in a big city I'd think that was cheap at twice the price.

Looking at those photos of people raining out of the sky on 9/11 would convince me to write a check in a heartbeat.

Kfgk14
09-10-11, 22:57
If I worked (or lived) in a office or apartment tower in a big city I'd think that was cheap at twice the price.

Looking at those photos of people raining out of the sky on 9/11 would convince me to write a check in a heartbeat.

Amen.
Glad I don't live in a city...

Moose-Knuckle
09-11-11, 01:58
After OKC and NYC, if I were an office worker in a high rise I'd want one of these in my office's BOB and an escape hood.

Aids one's chances of successful egress.

TriviaMonster
09-11-11, 02:39
That is pretty cool. I'm guessing it was invented by Captain Hindsight. All not funny jokes aside, that is some cool stuff. Bet that will get the old secretaries heart racing

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

docsherm
09-11-11, 04:25
That is a very good idea. If I worked in a tall building that would be a good investment.

JohnnyC
09-11-11, 17:15
Considering the meager amount of training required with today's auto-locking belay devices, I would think an inexpensive harness, a good belay device, rope of appropriate length, and a rope bag would be far more economically feasible to most people. Clip in, pull a lever to control your descent, and gtfo of the building. The benefit of the rescue reel would be smaller size due to the use of steel cable, but not more than a marginal difference. I could see fire being an issue but I can't imagine you would survive if you had to descend through a fire anyway, and even at your anchor point it would probably be compromised regardless.

hatidua
09-15-11, 16:06
I've often wondered why someone hadn't invented something like this before.

Those devices have been in the cockpit of every 747 for decades.