PDA

View Full Version : 9/11

chadbag
09-11-11, 06:56
This is really interesting about a NASA astronaut in the ISS passing near NYC soon after

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44458317/ns/technology_and_science-space/

-----

That morning I was down in my basement office at our house we rented in Merrimack New Hampshire. My dad emailed me if I had seen or heard about the plane hitting the world trade center. He did not say what sort of plane or anything. I thought he might have meant something like happened in WW2 when a B25 hit the empire state building. Maybe a private plane or something hit the WTC. So I kept working.

A little later my curiosity got the better of me and I went to a news website. What I read sickened me and I ran upstairs and turned on the TV and called the wife. We were glued to the TV the whole day. There was fear that further things might happen. The local TV said to stay away from Boston as there were fears of further attacks and maybe evacuating the city. My wife was supposed to drive to Boston to help as a volunteer in cleaning a church building. Needless to say, she did not go.

Artos
09-11-11, 08:22
I had just gotten to the plant in Mexico when the first plane hit and all the my managers were standing slack jawed around the tv...didn't think much about it until the maquila assn sent out a message saying the poe's are closing just a few seconds later.

Dashed it back across only to deal with the other sucker punches...i'm guessing it was similar to how the nation felt on pearl harbor. Hard to believe it has been a decade.

Cobra66
09-11-11, 08:40
Heading off to my first real flying job oblivious to what was happening and got a phone call from my commander telling me we have been attacked and that I needed to pack things up and be ready. I can just remember all the horror at what was happening first, the anger towards those who had committed these attacks second, and lastly the uncertainty of what the future would hold.

Today I have made sure to do everything in my power to prevent another 9/11 as do hundreds of thousands of Aviation, Military, and LE professionals across this land and overseas. I am proud to stand with them.

Cagemonkey
09-11-11, 09:43
I had just finished up a small job and had stopped at a Cumberland Farms convenient store for coffee break. Some guy comes running into the store asking if they have a TV, saying a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. My first thought was that it was some kind of accident. I went back to my truck and turned on the AM radio news.

Wormydog1724
09-11-11, 10:06
I went to Jr High school football practice. After practice one of my friends who wasn't there was at the school as we got off the bus. He asked us if we had heard and then told us about the attacks. His dad had kept him home from football to watch it. As we walked in to our class, I looked on the TV to see people jumping out of windows, the second plane hitting, and then the towers collapse. It had all already happened and they were replaying it. Teachers were crying. Most of us really didn't know what to think. New York seemed like a million miles away, even at that age. I can say for certain that day and the days, months, and years to follow as a result of the cowardly attack on America changed my life.

Never Forget. 9-11-2001.

Belmont31R
09-11-11, 11:56
I was in biology class my senior year. We watched the news in class and Im glad they allowed us to keep it on. Around lunch time most everyone just left instead of staying the whole day. They didn't try to stop us or even get anyone in trouble.

eagle5
09-11-11, 12:28
I was in my 12th grade American Politics and Economics class. Luckily the teacher was one of the few to have cable in his classroom so we were able to watch the events unfold. Around lunchtime most students were dismissed due school districts' proximity to Shanksville and the Johnstown Airport. My simple yet wide-eyed and innocent view of the world was changed that day.

In hindsight, I wish I would have listened to my gut and went to the military after high school rather than listening to others and following through with a college scholarship I had already received. I think that will be the only regret I take to my grave.

After watching the memorial services this morning I went to mass. I must say it was rather depressing. Patriotic dress was scarce with the majority wearing Pittsburgh Steeler garb in anticipation for today's game.

Quiet-Matt
09-11-11, 12:41
We had just finished pulling in a telecom feeder cable when my Mom called and said that a plane had hit the first tower. I thought "damn that sucks" and assumed that it was a small cessna or something. Then she call back and said that a jetliner was seen hitting the second. We immediately switched on talk radio. We sat silently and listened to the reports. It was all hard to imagine because we didn't have access to a TV. The boss called and told us to drop what we wewre doing and go fuel up the trucks. The rest of the day was eerie with the silent skies and empty streets. We all knew that this event was a game changer, and we had yet to see the first bit of news footage. That afternoon when I got home I flipped on the TV to see the replays of the days events over and over. I had heard about what happened all day on the radio, but even with the knowledge of what happened, seeing it on the TV was horrible. I just sat in silence for what felt like an eternity watching it over and over. The uncertainty of what was to come was disturbing.

RPD03
09-11-11, 12:48
I had just finished a midnight shift @ 0700 and was looking forward to a couple days off when I first heard about it. Around 0930 the boss calls me and orders me in due to the attacks. Between the multiple bomb scares, the oil storage facility and the nuclear plant asking for extra attention of their outter perimeters, it made for a very hectic time.
Have been watching the memorial services today and even after a decade, the memories still stir an emotional response.