PDA

View Full Version : Hunting optics: Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 vs. TR20-G

Warg
09-11-11, 12:32
I'm down to two choices on a hunting optic for my 6.8 that will primarily be used for deer and smaller game. I was pretty much set on the Trijicon 3-9x40 with mildot due to its reputation, robustness and light weight, but now that the new VX-R Patrol with the TMR reticle is out I'm considering this as a viable alternative.

The advantages I see the Leupold has over the TR-20G are better turrets, mil/mil layout and perhaps better low light capabilities. Disadvantages are weight (15.3 oz+ vs. 12.8 oz), exposed turrets, battery life, and a "busy" reticle (?). I like the Trijicon's glass and have gathered that the Leupold's glass is as good or better.

Does anyone have any experience using both of these optics?

Thanks!

ccoker
09-11-11, 20:29
I have both
I own the Accupoint and and testing the VXR

There is a large field behind our house and there are always deer at dusk.

Testing glass quality and reticle usability on deer from 1-200 yards into complete darkness to me and several buddies is a wash between the two.

I am very fond of the Accupoint 3-9x40 mildot green dot and have hunted with one for a few years. I trust it.

I have had other Accupoints as well as testing a few of the other VXRs, I don't like the ballistic reticle on the VXR because it has large gaps between hash marks.

I am running a VXR Patrol 1.25-4 on a 556 and was testing it from 10-500 yards and will use in a 3 gun match next Sat. I had NO problems seeing the red reticle in bright Texas sun.

I would say between the TMR 3-9 and the Accupoint, go with the one that suits your needs better, personally, for a hunting rifle I really like capped turrets and have gone back to a flatter shooting rifle for places where I am expecting 3-400 yard shots (25-06)
Too many times with a 308 and dialing it in I just didn't have the time with a deer walking between a clearing of 20 yards to range, dial and shoot. Your hunting style may differ where you are at of course.

The VXR does have better turrets and they are mil based which is good of course..

I say pick the one with the features that appeal to you more and you will be happy with either choice.

reticle pix of both at 250, don't judge optical quality between the two, too hard to get a good pic

VXR
http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Leupold-VXR-Patrol-3-9-TMR-reticle-pic.jpg
Accupoint
http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Trijicon-Accupoint-3-9x40-green-mildot-reticle-pic.jpg

ccoker
09-11-11, 20:37
I have both
I own the Accupoint and and testing the VXR

There is a large field behind our house and there are always deer at dusk.

Testing glass quality and reticle usability on deer from 1-200 yards into complete darkness to me and several buddies is a wash between the two.

I am very fond of the Accupoint 3-9x40 mildot green dot and have hunted with one for a few years. I trust it.

I have had other Accupoints as well as testing a few of the other VXRs, I don't like the ballistic reticle on the VXR because it has large gaps between hash marks. I am running a VXR Patrol 1.25-4 on a 556 and was testing it from 10-500 yards and will use in a 3 gun match next Sat. I had NO problems seeing the red reticle in bright Texas sun.

I would say between the TMR 3-9 and the Accupoint, go with the one that suits your needs better, personally, for a hunting rifle I really like capped turrets and have gone back to a flatter shooting rifle for places where I am expecting 3-400 yard shots (25-06)
Too many times with a 308 and dialing it in I just didn't have the time with a deer walking between a clearing of 20 yards to range, dial and shoot. Your hunting style may differ where you are at of course.

Warg
09-14-11, 18:35
Excellent info, ccoker! Thank you.

Since this is going on a 6.8 (and is not necessarily a flat shooting round), it's not going to be used for long range. I plan on using holdovers if necessary and I fear the TMR is going to be too busy without enough distinction between the mils and 1/2 mils.

After playing around with ballistic calcs it looks like I can zero my hunting loads to effectively employ the mildot reticle for holdovers with the Accupoint.

And I'll save a few ounces...