PDA

View Full Version : What Night Force reticle?

Pappabear
09-11-11, 14:08
Which reticle to choose for Nightforce? I am looking at the NF scopes. Could be used for upcoming elk hunt, and punching targets out to 1,000 yards. Looking at mil dot and 1,000 yard reticle.

Is mil radian the same as mil dot? I have been spoiled with Custom turrets on my Zeiss scopes and never done much else. Hunting you can do holdover out to 400 pretty easy on large game, but I desire more refinement in my approach.

What reticle do you use and why? I don't want to regret this purchase. My most expensive glass is $1,000 conquest and ACOGS, I want to get this right the first time.

ALCOAR
09-11-11, 17:48
I cannot say enough positive things or how much I use the Velocity reticle I currently own in the nxs compact 2.5-10x32.

My opinion is where my money goes for what that's worth, and my next piece of glass most likely will be a nxs 3.5-15x50 w. another newer Velocity reticle with extended hashes for windage and elevation to 1000yds whereas my nxs compact only has hashes to 600yds. I'm also going to capitalize on NF's awesome reticle swap service and my nxs compact 2.5-10x24 w. compact mildot will soon wear a LV velocity reticle just like my other nxs compact(x32).

http://i30.tinypic.com/sdz6o6.jpg
LV ret...

http://i53.tinypic.com/29v77s.jpg

Here is a video that features footage of a Nightforce mil dot ret in scope cam rig I jimmied up:D...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s63ZBATxtik

In the video I'm actually using my LV ret. to bang that steel at IIrc 800yds so even the LV ret. doesn't totally handicap the ability to do more than 600yds you just gotta learn the little dope adjustments or all together sight it in from the get go w/ the longer ranging in mind.

CoryCop25
09-11-11, 17:58
Pappabear and Trident,
When you figure out what you want, PM me. I can get one hell of a deal on anything Nightforce! :dance3:

markm
09-15-11, 15:15
Trident already has his. Pappa and I are the Optically challenged members in need. :p

CoryCop25
09-15-11, 15:27
Trident already has his. Pappa and I are the Optically challenged members in need. :p

You and Pappabear need to check your PM!

markm
09-15-11, 15:36
You and Pappabear need to check your PM!

Pappa is bad about that. He doesn't click the USER CP button.

crossgun
09-16-11, 16:58
If you want to shoot to 1000 I would run mils with the New High Speed Knobs. Out of a 308 sould put you around 8-12 mils pending your bullet and speed. High speed knobs are 10 mils per turn and only turn twice so you never really get lost in the turns out to 1000.

Its a lot more turns or revs in MOA

Matching reticle and knobs is a MUST. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA

I run the MLR reticle which is MIL based with MIL adjustments. Graduated in 1/10 mil adjustments (0.1) which is about .36 inches at 100 yards. MOA is 1/4 adjustments and .25 at 100 yards.

MIL DOT and MLR reticles are MIL based in the Nightforce line. I really dont like the NF MIL-DOT. Its a little busy for me.

ALCOAR
09-16-11, 17:21
How exactly is the NF mil dot reticle to busy..esp. the compact mil dot reticle?

I couldn't disagree more given NF's unique hollow mil dots in conjunct w. the much smaller compact mil dot is easily the most uncluttered mil dot reticle Ive ever personally viewed or owned. Not sure how a full mil dot reticle with solid dots is less busy than the NF one, but to each their own I guess:)

http://i53.tinypic.com/1427x4m.jpg"]http://i53.tinypic.com/1427x4m.jpg

Irish
09-16-11, 17:31
Pappabear and Trident,
When you figure out what you want, PM me. I can get one hell of a deal on anything Nightforce! :dance3:

I'm definitely interested as well CC. Had an optic on the back burner for a while but I'm definitely seeing more need as of late.

shootist~
09-16-11, 21:07
The NP-R2 hash marks (MOA) are thick enough to be clearly visible, even with my older eyes, and work well enough for elevation adjustments at 400-500 Meters. The NP-R1 is said to be pretty thin.

If you are shooting at 1k, you will be dialing it in, so a cross-hair is a cross-hair (more or less). Mil is simpler for ranging, but has nothing to do with how visible a particular reticle is. If given the time, I would dial in - this makes doping the wind easier since the horizontal hash marks are on the central cross-hair.

Pappabear
09-16-11, 22:34
Cross gun, you speak of HIGH SPEED knobs. My mark 4 came with generic 308 win and 300mag dials. And the elevation is 1 mil per click. They are way off once I get out past 400. But you can work out the dope and make use of them.

The mark 4 is pretty good. Night force, no. But it is happy on my LMT.

I may get some custom knobs from Kenton. I have used them before, pretty good too. I had to dial to 550 for 500 with my gas gun.

Belmont31R
09-16-11, 22:55
If you want to shoot to 1000 I would run mils with the New High Speed Knobs. Out of a 308 sould put you around 8-12 mils pending your bullet and speed. High speed knobs are 10 mils per turn and only turn twice so you never really get lost in the turns out to 1000.

Its a lot more turns or revs in MOA

Matching reticle and knobs is a MUST. MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA

I run the MLR reticle which is MIL based with MIL adjustments. Graduated in 1/10 mil adjustments (0.1) which is about .36 inches at 100 yards. MOA is 1/4 adjustments and .25 at 100 yards.

MIL DOT and MLR reticles are MIL based in the Nightforce line. I really dont like the NF MIL-DOT. Its a little busy for me.

The problem with this segment, and what I ran into is the high end scope makers design the scopes with built in cant in mind. It seems like a waste and circular logic which I have yet to understand. When I had my SB 3-12 on ZERO cant mounts I bottomed out on 3 different guns right round 10-12 mils when the scope turret erector was capable of 20+.

Not going to nitpick scope brands but just make sure the turret graduations are matched to the reticle. For instance don't get a scope with a mil based turret and MOA knobs. Zero stop is essential (to me). Make sure the scope tracks accurately so 1 MIL or 1 MOA is actually 1 MIL or 1MOA not 1.1 MILs.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/0f46a078.jpg

This mount fixed my elevation issues but don't call LT and ask because you will be denied. It was a TE mount not available for sale. With a zero MOA base (receiver) I was able to get around 20 mils out of the turret.

But if you're not shooting that far then it won't matter.

crossgun
09-16-11, 22:59
Pappa

Yes Highspeed knobs, 10 MILS or 20 MOA per turn/rev in the Nighforce. A lot of other makers dont offer that much adjustment. The standard Nightforce knob is half of that, 10 MOA or 5 MILS

No way can your scope be 1 MIL per click. How could you sight it in or zero it if each click is three plus inches at 100 yards?

Pre marked knobs pretty much suck as they never really match. Change ammo and you screwed let alone location and/or weather.

Trident

For me all that crap is just to much. I mean all the ranging MIL break down of the MIL DOT spacing. I personally prefer to aim off the hash mark if you will. Im dialing and using the center so its just a little to busy again for me. If it works for you rock it!

crossgun
09-16-11, 23:03
Why not run a mount with built in cant then?

crossgun
09-16-11, 23:09
Pretty sure that the line thickness is the same for the Nightforce
NP-R1 and NP-R2 Reticles. Spacing is just broken down more which might make it appear more busy.

Belmont31R
09-16-11, 23:11
Why not run a mount with built in cant then?

There are FEW mounts with built in cant with a cantilever design (& QD) that have enough built in MOA to get full use of the elevation available in high end scope turrets.

The LT one I got, and gave back to LT was enough for 556 or 762 to 1k yards when I was bottoming out to that range with a zero MOA cant mount.