PDA

View Full Version : Moving outta State with Firearms

SilentSniperVT
09-11-11, 17:02
So I'm moving from Vermont to Maine and going through New Hampshire for Family:(. I just want to know how to legally transport my firearms. We are using 2 Mini Vans so there is no truck or "lockable compartment" I had planned on locking my rifles in my Pelican Case but what do i do with my M&P9 that i would like to have on me? also would i declare the firearms if i were to be stopped in NH or ME. Any help would be appreciated.

ST911
09-11-11, 17:11
Unload and case them. If they're visible to the outside, cover them with other stuff or a blanket. There's no need to discuss their presence with anyone.

DeltaSierra
09-11-11, 17:11
So I'm moving from Vermont to Maine and going through New Hampshire for Family:(. I just want to know how to legally transport my firearms. We are using 2 Mini Vans so there is no truck or "lockable compartment" I had planned on locking my rifles in my Pelican Case but what do i do with my M&P9 that i would like to have on me? also would i declare the firearms if i were to be stopped in NH or ME. Any help would be appreciated.

Rifles and Shotguns need to be unloaded (that includes magazines.)

Handguns must be unloaded (again, that includes any magazines in the vehicle,) unless you have a valid NH Pistol/Revolver Permit.

You are not required to declare firearms in NH or ME (although it is a good idea,) even if they are concealed (obviously, you need a permit to carry a concealed handgun.)

If I were you, I would simply pack the unloaded weapons in your car and forget about it.

The police around here are used to guns, and really don't care what you have as long as it is legal, and you are not a prohibited person.

tactical1
09-11-11, 17:12
Might find additional info/tips on this site

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Army Chief
09-11-11, 17:40
New Hampshire is a very gun-friendly state. Unless you're in a CCW mode without proper authorization (or valid reciprocity), you aren't going to have any trouble.

AC