PDA

View Full Version : eye protection

Hersh
11-10-07, 20:52
All,

Today I shot a Steel Challenge match and when not shooting helped keep score so I was standing fairly close to the RO. During one shooter's run I felt something hit my upper left chest and looked down to see this fragment sticking out of my shirt.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Hershel_Van/chip.jpg

It hit me with enough force to penetrate a polo shirt and t-shirt and still sting my skin so you can imagine what it would have done to an unprotected eye.

Always, always remember to wear your eye protection!

Stay safe ya'll.

rhino
11-11-07, 13:41
Good reminder! I have an abrasion on one of the lenses of my Rudy Projects that I'm pretty sure came from splashback from steel (probably a jacket that was shed).

Another thing that a lot of people don't consider is that when the jacket or other fragments flatten and bounce, they can travel a significantly curved path. A flattened copper jacket can spin like a frisbee and follow a path over a side berm and hit people in shooting bays next door. I know because it has happened to me a few times and I've been around when it has happened to other people. Fizzix is phun!

ArmaGlock
11-11-07, 18:35
I've had more than one piece break the skin shooting steel. Got a piece stuck in my leg wearing shorts one time. Won't catch me without glasses on.

mark5pt56
11-11-07, 19:50
Steel can be fun, but really dangerous. I've seen many injuries, two near fatal. Always check steel to insure there is no pitting and maintain minimum distances.

One was serious, but funny if you were there. First round out of a .45 and the whole bullet came back and "thumped" the shooter right in the middle of his forehead. It was loud, just caused alittle split. But if you where there to see it and the reaction, kind of like sick humor, we laughed our ass off. This popper had a dimple in it from a 12 gauge slug, it was thrown away.

Mark