PDA

View Full Version : AFG, VFG, or none?

phydaux
09-14-11, 18:25
I've been thinking about accessories for my AR. Up until now my philosophy has been "As little as possible." But I've been thinking about some kind of fore grip.

I'v got Magpul MOE handguard. No rails, but it will allow for a fore grip. At first I was thining one of their angeled fore grips, kinda like the fore grip on the old Thompson SMG. But I've read a lot of people here tried that and didn't like it.

I could go with a standard fore grip. The only reason I'd want one is to use as a hand stop - Hold the handguard itself, and push the web of my support hand into the fore grip while I pull back on the pistol grip with my trigger hand. Get a little dynamic tension going to maintain a stable fireing platform and quick follow up shots. It seems to me that "push pull" would even be better than the "pull push" with an angeled fore grip.

What do you guys say?

Army Chief
09-14-11, 18:42
We've bandied this about more times than most of us can count by now, but the bottom line is that you probably don't "need" anything. If you want to add some sort of foregrip, then there is really no substitute for going out and experimenting with various types to see what does/does not really meet your needs. Since this is not a doctrinal thing nearly so much as a matter of preference, no one can really make these decisions for you. Chances are, someone nearby can help you out with a couple of loaners in various form factors, if you don't want to spend a lot of money on experimentation.

Personally, I never much cared for full-length or broad-barreled VFGs, even though I was satisfied with the KAC unit in military trim when in harm's way -- probably because of its slender profile. The concept of the AFG has always appealed to me, even though I've largely moved away from them over time. Other competent designs have appeared with some regularity in recent years, and most are probably worthy of at least some consideration: Bobro, TangoDown, Troy, Daniel Defense, Magpul, LaRue ... if anything, we've almost got too many choices here.

Interestingly, my own journey has led me right back to where I started, and I find that I prefer the original KAC, albeit in a modified/shortened form. There are various methods of accomplishment, and none are especially straightforward, but this still represents the best compromise for my needs. Since I use it more as a reference point than anything else, short and slender has become the name of the game.

Many shooters have begun to move away from VFGs altogether, of course, and I would caution against adding one just because you feel it is part of a fully-equipped rifle. That's not necessarily the case. A VFG can be a convenient and useful piece of kit, but handstops are often just as useful (if not more), and much will depend upon how you shoot, what you shoot, and where you want to shoot. Since you're using a MOE handguard, you might be just as well-served by going without, but there are also versions of the RVG that might also provide a very good custom solution for a very reasonable cost. That is where I would start.

AC

Spiffums
09-15-11, 05:44
I played with the AFG 1st and found I didn't like it. Then I tried the MagPul VFG and found that it worked better for me. So it is really something you need to play around with and see what you like.

markm
09-15-11, 08:53
I can't stand anything on my bottom hand guard. Screws up your elevation adjustability when positional shooting.

SWATcop556
09-15-11, 09:41
As has been said it is personal preference. It is NOT necessary for a complete rifle. I have been all over the spectrum with this and have finally come back to a bare bottom rail. If I was going to run anything it would be a handstop (ie. KAC or GS). I would also suggest getting hands on with some of the different models if possible.

muzlblast
09-15-11, 11:38
As has been said it is personal preference. It is NOT necessary for a complete rifle. I have been all over the spectrum with this and have finally come back to a bare bottom rail. If I was going to run anything it would be a handstop (ie. KAC or GS). I would also suggest getting hands on with some of the different models if possible.

Definitely agree. Nothing on my rail but a Surefire at 10 O' Clock. I have tried them but just prefer traditional rifle grip I guess.

m1a_scoutguy
09-15-11, 11:44

I agree,,,I have tried all the AFG grips,,the Tango Vert grips,,etc,,they work,,,but :rolleyes: !!! I went to Handstops and really like them,,I can use it if I want to,,but can move my hand around to anyplace I need,,depending on circumstance's !! I have both a GS & a KAC !! I bought them used from members here,,look around there are deals to be had !! :)

ra2bach
09-15-11, 12:00
I use a AFG (first version) on my DD m4V1 as it is a carbine gas with 12" rail. my hand position is right under/beside the FSB and the AFG shields my hand from the heat coming off that area. I only have ladders on the rest of the rail.

on a middy with Centurion cut-out rail I use the RVG as a handstop with ladders as my hand position is behind the gas block.

on my "shorty" with a 7" rail I use the Knights VFG in a semi-beercan grip.

lightweight middy with shaved gasblock and 11" TRX rail, I have nothing except a rail chunk covered by a section of ladder.

so, it all depends...

Ironman8
09-15-11, 13:41
Use the orange search button...here is a good one: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83586

friendlyfireisnt
09-15-11, 17:13
I've gone back and forth a few times.

Currently I have a RVG mounted about half way back, mainly used as a hand stop. I will probably remove it and put a hand stop on instead.

MeanStreaker
09-15-11, 17:55
I also don't like anything for a forward grip. It gets in the way for me when distance shooting seated or prone.

fixit69
09-15-11, 20:34
It's been said before, but I like them sometimes for some applications(rest, extra large stop, controling the rifle in fa, even a crimson trace light/laser), but some times it just feels more comfortable with nothing on the rail. I think it's more of a personal preference.

gun71530
09-15-11, 20:39
I prefer a stubby VFG, either the Tangodown or the Troy modular grip. Like many others have said it's a personal preference, but I find that a VFG comes in handy when shooting from unconvential positions.

billybob19606
09-15-11, 20:44
I like none, but have a GripPod in the very front of my rail (acts more like a bipod)....or if i want to go vfg, it's there

maestro
09-15-11, 22:12
My solution:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6156/6151462987_6b66c74cb8_b.jpg

billybob19606
09-15-11, 22:43
Nice! Short & sweet

forrest0872
09-16-11, 00:35
LaRue handstop and index clips for the win.