PDA

View Full Version : Right handed M&P shooter putting mag. release on right side.

G-lock
09-14-11, 19:32
Have any of you right handed folks changed the mag release from the left to the right side of the gun so that you can drop the magazine with the trigger finger.

I am considering this change since I have to shift the gun in my hand to press the release with my thumb.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

dookie1481
09-14-11, 23:17
Have any of you right handed folks changed the mag release from the left to the right side of the gun so that you can drop the magazine with the trigger finger.

I am considering this change since I have to shift the gun in my hand to press the release with my thumb.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I did. My reloads are faster than they were with the P30's paddle release. I won't go back.

dutch308
09-15-11, 17:19
Just thought that I would put my 2 cents in here. I am a lefty and have been shooting handguns for alot of years. Being left handed one of my thoughts when buying a new gun is how well I can operate it left handed. A few of mine have had the option of switching the mag release to the right side in order to use my thumb for mag releases. I tried it on a few but never felt it was the best option for me so I switched it back. I am able to have faster more controlled releases and reloads by using my trigger finger then my thumb and this holds true for all my guns that I have ever shot and I am suprised that more right handed shooters haven't tried it. Anyway as I said, just my 2 cents.

G-lock
09-15-11, 17:35
Just what I was looking for. Thanks Gents.

Kool Aid
09-16-11, 08:45
Switched mine to the right side to make the mag release more like my HK pistols. It worked great for mag changes, but the mag release button was too exposed and I'd frequently unseat a magazine in my IWB holster when sitting or bumping up against things. A recontoured button that is less prone to this would be great. Apex, are you listening?

dookie1481
09-16-11, 12:26
Switched mine to the right side to make the mag release more like my HK pistols. It worked great for mag changes, but the mag release button was too exposed and I'd frequently unseat a magazine in my IWB holster when sitting or bumping up against things. A recontoured button that is less prone to this would be great. Apex, are you listening?

I was worried about this as well, especially considering it is exposed with my holster, but I haven't had mine unseat once in 6-7 months.

montrala
09-16-11, 15:43

As a lefty, who use left side magazine release at about everything, I have some advice. Try to use your middle finger instead of trigger finger. For me it makes release faster, shift gun less (if any) and safer. Last one came from hand mechanics that forces trigger finger out of trigger guard and up on slide to operate release with middle finger. Using trigger finger can make finger to use "short cut" way toward magazine release.... and this short cut is just across trigger face and... boom (seen that by other shooters using trigger finger to operate magazine release).

trinydex
09-16-11, 19:40

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
this is what lefties do on almost all button mag release firearms... it's a good way to go in my opinion.

sourkraut
09-16-11, 20:10
I was worried about this as well, especially considering it is exposed with my holster, but I haven't had mine unseat once in 6-7 months.

mine kept dumping mag when in my vehicle, IWB and release on the left. switched it to the right and have not had a problem with it and much quicker.
must have been from my dunlop.:bad:

MegademiC
09-16-11, 23:45
thought about it, but it would be the same or slower than what I do now.

I (right handed, mag release on left side) use my middle finger. I open up my grip a little but to depress button, but when I fully grasp again, the gun is in the same position it was.

Also, when I do it, the gun automatically tips the magwell to the right to hit the button, then I pull the magwell to the left to insert mag, then pull finger off release while inserting mag. It forces the magazine out, like the pistol version of the "magpul mag change throw move" they do.

Fast, Efficient, and makes sure your mag is NOT in your gun while your trying to shove another one in there.

seabass
09-18-11, 13:01
I prefer to release my mags with my index finger as well.

I switched over the mag release to the right side on on all my Sigs and my M&P.

Magsz
09-18-11, 13:07
thought about it, but it would be the same or slower than what I do now.

I (right handed, mag release on left side) use my middle finger. I open up my grip a little but to depress button, but when I fully grasp again, the gun is in the same position it was.

Also, when I do it, the gun automatically tips the magwell to the right to hit the button, then I pull the magwell to the left to insert mag, then pull finger off release while inserting mag. It forces the magazine out, like the pistol version of the "magpul mag change throw move" they do.

Fast, Efficient, and makes sure your mag is NOT in your gun while your trying to shove another one in there.

Got any video of this? Im always interested in new techniques.

The Magpul guys dont do "a mag throw move". Its a byproduct of the chamber check prior to doing a reload.

Id love to see your reload technique, wiggling the gun seems like alot of wasted movement, not to mention, breaking your grip seems like a recipe for disaster.

PdxMotoxer
09-18-11, 22:34
Another "lefty" here and when i got my M&P i was happy that i could switch the mag release!!

But some things look better on paper.
When i switched it.. it just felt odd and i kept tring to do it the way i have
most of my life as a lefty in a right handed persons world.

only took one day at the range to switch it back.

by all means TRY it and if you like it than your G2G!! if you (like i did)
keep finding yourself trying to push the wrong side out of habit or muscle memory then don't be scared to put it back.

Good luck whatever you choose.

MegademiC
09-18-11, 22:35
Got any video of this? Im always interested in new techniques.

The Magpul guys dont do "a mag throw move". Its a byproduct of the chamber check prior to doing a reload.

Id love to see your reload technique, wiggling the gun seems like alot of wasted movement, not to mention, breaking your grip seems like a recipe for disaster.

Ill put a vid up later this week. this doesnt really wiggle the gun much, still have a lof of retention. The gun is ussually waiting for the fresh mag by the time I pull the other mag out. I doubt this is a new techniqe, Im probably just explaining it poorly. haha.

Kegger
09-18-11, 23:32
I tried it for a little while, but determined my reloads were taking longer using my index finger.

So I switched it back to the left side and now use my middle finger to release the mag. No movement other than bringing the tip of my middle finger up a fraction of an inch. I have even gotten to the point where I can reload with the sights still on the target.

MegademiC
10-06-11, 13:45
I got a video of what I was talking about... I cant reach the mag release with my middle finger unless i roll the gun a little(pointing the magwell out to the right). You can see in the 2nd video(showing it as 2 steps), I try to reach it without rolling the gun and the mag doesnt drop.

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/vinnyraf870/?action=view&current=MOV00739.mp4

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/vinnyraf870/?action=view&current=MOV00738.mp4

Mr Gone
10-06-11, 13:52
Another "lefty" here and when i got my M&P i was happy that i could switch the mag release!!

But some things look better on paper.
When i switched it.. it just felt odd and i kept tring to do it the way i have
most of my life as a lefty in a right handed persons world.

only took one day at the range to switch it back.

by all means TRY it and if you like it than your G2G!! if you (like i did)
keep finding yourself trying to push the wrong side out of habit or muscle memory then don't be scared to put it back.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Same experience, the ONE time I admitted to being left handed during M9 qualification, I couldn't work the mag release. From the very first time I handled one, I've never had a problem with a right handed pistol.

You righties should try what us lefties have known for years.

C4IGrant
10-06-11, 13:55

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

I do this. Reason being that a lot of my other carry guns are German (Walther and HK) and always release the mag with my trigger finger.

Wanting to keep everything the same, I moved my M&P mag release to the right side. Works well.

C4