PDA

View Full Version : Glock Tactical Lights: 10 or 11???

Glock17JHP
09-14-11, 19:40
OK... this is my first time on this forum, I am usually on the 'Terminal Effects' or 'Shotgun' forums.

I have a 3rd Gen Glock 19, and have decided to seriously look at getting a tactical light for it. Until now I have used a Surefire 6Z with the rubber grommet and lanyard... and this was to keep the light 'separate' from the pistol to lessen the danger if I were to get return fire. However, I am thinking it would be simpler to use a weapon-mounted light... so here I am.

I am sort of thinking Glock Tactical Light 10/11... but am unsure of the actual differences in the 10 and 11 models. The 10 has a "Touch detent switch", while the 11 has a "Touch dimmer switch". I do not know the difference... please enlighten me!!!

One reason I like the Glock 10/11 models are their prices. I am a homeowner, so the use will be HD, not LE. I am wanting the lightest weight in a weapon light, with 60 Lumens at least. These 2 models seem to fit my weight and pricing requirements, but I want to know as much about them both as possible before making a purchase.

Thank you!!!

Code3Patriot
09-14-11, 21:40
If you are want a quality light and price is a factor, look at the Streamlight TLR-1s. The Streamlight is utilizes a CREE LED while the Glock tac light is a Xenon bulb. You will have a ton of holster options with the G19/TLR-1, while with the GTL light you will have close to zero.

I've been a cop for ten years and have worked alongside people from a number of different local and federal agencies. I've never seen one person with a GTL light equipped on their weapon. Stick with Surefire, Streamlight or Insight if you want a quality weapon mounted light for HD.

Everyone else after me is going to chime similar info to you.

Dennis
09-15-11, 18:14
If you are want a quality light and price is a factor, look at the Streamlight TLR-1s. The Streamlight is utilizes a CREE LED while the Glock tac light is a Xenon bulb. You will have a ton of holster options with the G19/TLR-1, while with the GTL light you will have close to zero.

I've been a cop for ten years and have worked alongside people from a number of different local and federal agencies. I've never seen one person with a GTL light equipped on their weapon. Stick with Surefire, Streamlight or Insight if you want a quality weapon mounted light for HD.

Everyone else after me is going to chime similar info to you.

Exactly this. The Glock light sucks, period. You can get good deals on TLR's which are fine for a HD light. I prefer the X300 for a duty light but I generally like my TLR-1s.

Dennis.

J8127
09-15-11, 18:48
I don't even know which version I have, but the GLOCK Light is bright enough to blind/daze some one, it's biggest weakness is that as the battery goes so does the brightness, so if you play with it all the damn time or don't keep fresh batteries in it, it may not be as bright as you would like it to be when you actually need it.

It's not the best light in the world, but it fits the needs of my nightstand gun.

Dennis
09-15-11, 19:02
I don't even know which version I have, but the GLOCK Light is bright enough to blind/daze some one, it's biggest weakness is that as the battery goes so does the brightness, so if you play with it all the damn time or don't keep fresh batteries in it, it may not be as bright as you would like it to be when you actually need it.

It's not the best light in the world, but it fits the needs of my nightstand gun.

If it works for you then that's your choice. However, claims like "bright enough to daze/blind someone" are somewhat subjective. In my experience almost any amount of handheld light generally just "annoys" at best, especially people who already have nefarious intent.

The price difference between a 10 year old Xenon bulb GTL and a current tech LED TLR is pretty small and not worth the difference in quality and reliability.

Dennis.

Skang
09-15-11, 20:24
Insight M3X would be good choice too.

Surefire X300 can be found for around $200

CQC.45
09-16-11, 10:00
I wouldn't consider any light besides the X300. If you do a little searching around you will see why.

sgtjosh
09-16-11, 19:53
Insight M3X would be good choice too.

This is what I carry on duty.

I wouldn't consider any light besides the X300. If you do a little searching around you will see why.

I found using the momentary feature on to X300 painful unless my hands were gloved. Those serrations combined with recoil are no joke. My agency made me try a variety of options during the required training. I went in thinking I would like the X300. I came out with an Insight M3LED on my pistol. Disclaimer: The X300 has the best quality beam of light among the three models that I tested.

Glock17JHP
09-16-11, 20:24
I appreciate all of the comments...

So far, based on all of the input, and after doing a small amount of my own uneducated research... I am looking mostly at 3 models:

Surefire X300
Streamlight TLR-1
Insight M3 LED

Of these 3, I lean a bit toward the Insight M3 LED...

Questions:
How easy are these 3 models to mount/dismount from the pistol (Glock 19)?

Is there an additional 'feature' between the weapon light and the pistol?

How easy are the 'momentary on'/'constant on' switches to operate between these 3 models?

OK, now for a couple of real 'newbie' type questions:
Are the beams adjustable on all 3 models (diameter as it appears on the target)?

Do you adjust the beam's location on the target (up and down, like you would with a scope), or is the beam's location on the target fixed?

Thanks...

CQC.45
09-16-11, 20:57
If your going to go Insight, check out the WX-150

Glock17JHP
09-16-11, 23:07
WX-150?

OK, I will look at that model...

Glock17JHP
09-16-11, 23:13
I don't think I want the strobe feature...

gunnut284
09-20-11, 03:11
I believe the strobe can be disabled. I prefer the TLR-1 personally. I have a WX-125, TLR-1, TLR-2 and a X200 (and I use an X200 at work). I don't care for the X200/300 activation myself.

Shane1
09-20-11, 10:20
If you get a chance to, try some hands on stuff with the TLR1, Surefire etc.

We issue and use X300's, some mounted on rifles. From light output, durability, CS if we ever need it, its hard to beat SF. Nice thing about the X300 is you can mount a pressure switch(DG) if you like. Its easy on/easy off. You cant adjust the beam, I honestly dont know why you would want to. It has enough lumens to get the job done at distance. I prefer the X300 switch on the pistol if I'm not using the pressure switch as I can lock it on if needed. I dont know if your aware but with the X300, you can just press on the end of the rocker switch and get light. Or lock it on/temp light with the rocker switch itself. My BUG is a G23 with a X200 , no DG switch.

As for the daze/temp blind someone, just about any light can do that. But, that doesnt stop them from shooting, stabbing or anything esle.

Glock17JHP
09-20-11, 19:12
If you get a chance to, try some hands on stuff with the TLR1, Surefire etc.

We issue and use X300's, some mounted on rifles. From light output, durability, CS if we ever need it, its hard to beat SF. Nice thing about the X300 is you can mount a pressure switch(DG) if you like. Its easy on/easy off. You cant adjust the beam, I honestly dont know why you would want to. It has enough lumens to get the job done at distance. I prefer the X300 switch on the pistol if I'm not using the pressure switch as I can lock it on if needed. I dont know if your aware but with the X300, you can just press on the end of the rocker switch and get light. Or lock it on/temp light with the rocker switch itself. My BUG is a G23 with a X200 , no DG switch.

As for the daze/temp blind someone, just about any light can do that. But, that doesnt stop them from shooting, stabbing or anything esle.

Your BUG is a G23 with a weapon light??? Wow... I am surprised!!! Is your primary a long gun?

I still have many questions... I talked to a good friend who runs a forum here, and am now wondering if a weapon light on a pistol is really a good idea (versus a SF 6Z) for a 'regular joe' like me in a HD setting...

I was looking at NOT having a pressure switch, sort of the same setup you have on your G23, only I have a G19 (same size). How different is the X300 from your X200? Have you experienced any reliability issues with your pistol with the light installed?

Shane1
09-20-11, 19:47
I use a M4 for my primary, a Glock 35 for my secondary. The 23 is my off duty/BUG(carried on my armor as needed). As for a weapon mounted light for home defense, one thing to think about is say you need to use a phone, a light and a gun but only 2 at once..2 hands right? With a weapon mounted light, you have gun and light integrated and leaves a free hand for phone, controlling the wife/kids to a safe position etc. The only difference between the x200 and x300 is the light output. The only reason I hadnt gone to a x300 on my G23 is the X200 still runs like a champ. I currently have 3575 rounds thru my G23, all with the X200 mounted. I have had no issues with having it mounted. Same for the G19 I also had. Nice thing about the X300/X200 is no need for a DG switch if you dont need it. Push on the tail end of the light, you get light. Rotate up or down on the rocker for either temp or lock it on. Really, any of the good weapons lights like the TLR/Insight will work for your needs. I like SF because I've used them for 21 years and am satisfied with the company to say the least.

Rhutch
09-21-11, 06:24
I have the x300 on my G34 and 1911. I've had no issues. As for taking them off, it's a tight fit on my Glock requires a bit of finesse. But I'd rather it that way than flopping around. It's a little easier to dismount on the 1911, I assume it just slides easier on the smooth metal than the textured polymer frame. Another reason I like the Surefire's is battery type as 90% of my flashlights are powered by cr123 I always have spare batteries with me too.

Glock17JHP
09-23-11, 20:49
OK... you all got me leaning more toward the weapon-mounted light again. Since I have a Surefire 6Z and G2 already, and for a time had a weapon-mounted Surefire on my pump shotgun... I am aware that Surefire is probably the best choice. I like where one guy said (concerning the X300): "Buy once, cry once".

I will probably go with the X300 on my G19... thanks, Shane1...

Someone please give me a link to an owner's manual in .PDF format, or tell me the steps to install the X300 on a G19. Does the light readily slide right on with no special adapters, etc?

ZoomByU
09-23-11, 22:51
Someone please give me a link to an owner's manual in .PDF format, or tell me the steps to install the X300 on a G19. Does the light readily slide right on with no special adapters, etc?

No tools needed just push the button on the side and mount it. The TLR-1 is similar but there is a spring loaded screw that you push in then mount and hand tighten the screw.

titsonritz
09-23-11, 23:32

Surefire X300 comes with two mounting options. The "U/P" (Universal or Picattiny) latch is standard from the factory and has two tabs that are pulled down to release the light. The "Rail Lock" is an optional accessory that comes with most X-series lights. It requires installation and has a cross bar and locking wedge to secure the light in place. It is most often used when securing the light to a long gun rail, but some users install this on their pistols for added security. You will only need tools if wish to use the "Rail Lock", its a no brainer.

Glock17JHP
09-25-11, 19:56
Thanks, guys...

I guess the only thing left now is to get the best price possible for the Surefire X300... Any suggestions? Remember, I am a civilian... so no LE/military special pricing deals will be able to help me...

Time to save up for it... cry... and then buy...