PDA

View Full Version : Exposed low pro gas block

C-grunt
09-15-11, 11:19
Quick probably stupid question.

Is an exposed low profile gas block a strong (ie able to take as much punishment without moving) as a standard FSB?

Im looking at some Mk12 uppers and wondering.

Duffy
09-15-11, 11:27
I don't have any hard evidence, but it's hard to beat the pinned FSB. When Vltor came out with their gas block/front sight that used bolts, people raised concerns about its strength and durability. Vltor did a test on it, and torqued the gas block/front sight (while attached to the barrel) to the point the barrel extension was about to come loose, to show it was more than durable enough.

But Vltor's gas block/front sight uses a different screws/bolts than a low profile gas block, which is typically secured by a set screw. As long as you use a drop of non-permanent thread locker, it's pretty secure, but I don't think it can be compared to the strength of a standard FSB.

More than a few times I've taken a hammer to a standard FSB when I tried to remove it, it is immensely strong, after repeated hammer blows it hardly moved or deformed.

C-grunt
09-15-11, 11:40
I have been looking specifically at this.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-Bravo-1R-KAC-RAS-p/bcm-urg-mk12-1%20ras.htm

It has a pinned gas block.

markm
09-15-11, 11:41
There's no way it could be as strong as a pinned, forged FSB. But since it's low profile, it really doesn't have the mechanical leverage to need the same strength.

A really hard direct blow might knock it out of alignment. But that seems like a really unlikely occurance.

Todd.K
09-15-11, 14:16
Most pinned gas blocks only use one pin, vs two on a FSB. But as markm pointed out there is much less potential leverage that can be applied to the gas block because it is shorter than a front sight.

You should have no concerns with the durability of a pinned gas block being exposed.

11am1a
09-15-11, 16:00
If its good enough for CRANE and the MK-12 rifles, than its good for the civilian market. Look at Marcus Luttrells rifle and the hell it went through (if you do not know what I am speaking of read the book "Lone Survivor")

Todd.K
09-15-11, 16:06
The early MK12 had a set screw windage adjustable front sight like used on some HP competition rifles. I think that was totally wrong for a combat weapon myself.

B52U
09-15-11, 16:10
If its good enough for CRANE and the MK-12 rifles, than its good for the civilian market. Look at Marcus Luttrells rifle and the hell it went through (if you do not know what I am speaking of read the book "Lone Survivor")

Great story. That rifle fell off the cliffs numerous times and kept running.