PDA

View Full Version : Black nitrade / melonite review of the guns i have had done

Ring
09-15-11, 23:00
https://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/black-nitride-melonite-and-qpq

thinking of doing a LRPV in tan...

mkmckinley
09-19-11, 02:36
That looks pretty interesting, thanks for posting. I looked at the website you posted and it seems the guy doing individual orders only does barrels. Have you done any before and after accuracy testing? If so, how did you do it and what did you find out?

Ring
09-19-11, 05:23
H&M will do anything you want... barrels, actions, barreled actions, bolts, AR bolt carriers, gas tubes, gas blocks....

as for accuracy testing, i did a before any after test, "3, 5 shot groups @ 100y" with a basic load...
i saw no change..

this is consistent with most of the other reviews i have seen... but long term accuracy is gained due to a major reduction in copper fouling

TMS951
09-19-11, 09:08
Could you please give some info/back ground on this statement:

"If is a new unfired barrel, it is best to break it in "30 to 60 rounds""

Did this statement come form a company that does this process?

It was my understanding that people were afraid of having a fired barrel done. I think discussions about the MR556 is where this really came up. People were looking for some sort of coating for the barrel but were afraid of deposits on a fired barrel.

Second question: how about barrels with a barrel extension installed?

Ring
09-19-11, 09:46
the throat from the chamber cut... that is what needs "broke in" and "burnished"

if not, the marks will permently be there

i did send in a chrome lined.... DONT DO IT... the chrome didnt like it

An Undocumented Worker
09-19-11, 19:21
the throat from the chamber cut... that is what needs "broke in" and "burnished"

if not, the marks will permently be there

i did send in a chrome lined.... DONT DO IT... the chrome didnt like it

Could you give us a little more detail about this?

Ring
09-19-11, 19:32
Could you give us a little more detail about this?

the chrome looked like you set it on fire and put it out with a sand blaster... they are looking at it now to see if its fixable... ill update when i get more info

87GN
09-19-11, 19:46
This company advocates this process for AR barrels that have already had the barrel extensions attached/been headspaced/had gas ports drilled?

Or for bolts (or any other parts such as steel receivers) that have already been case hardened?

Ring
09-19-11, 23:13
This company advocates this process for AR barrels that have already had the barrel extensions attached/been headspaced/had gas ports drilled?

Or for bolts (or any other parts such as steel receivers) that have already been case hardened?

yes on the barrels

i didnt do my bolt heads, just the carriers... not because it might damage the bolt "dont think it would" just because i didnt feel like doing a full bolt dissemble job..

if you want to be 100% sure on the bolt head, email the metallurgist i linked above..

kmc0929
09-24-11, 08:22
where is his pricing on the tan? I'm wondering if this is similar to the PVD stuff they are making the M&P VTACs with?

Ring
09-24-11, 10:28
no... its is a variance in the nitride process that makes it tan...

same price

Ring
09-24-11, 10:29
the chrome looked like you set it on fire and put it out with a sand blaster... they are looking at it now to see if its fixable... ill update when i get more info

UPDATE.. got the barrel back, looks good now.. need to go test groups monday

An Undocumented Worker
09-24-11, 19:23
UPDATE.. got the barrel back, looks good now.. need to go test groups monday

What did they change/do?

Ring
09-24-11, 19:38
removed the damaged chrome, then renitraded..

everything mic's out in spec, and if it shoots ok, im fine with it,,, if not, ill call BCM and see what to do next

ill run a box of hormady 75gr super match, and some 55 vmax, XM193, and some had load 69's and 50's

Heavy Metal
09-24-11, 20:00
If it don't play nice with chrome, how does that affect the inside of a bolt carrier?

Ring
09-24-11, 20:10
it was replaced with the SBN
http://i.minus.com/j6HqRwmkJ1rxA.JPG (http://min.us/l6HqRwmkJ1rxA)

this, i have 100% no issues with, the SBN is better in every way in the BC

crossgun
09-24-11, 23:05
I have had Bolts and BCG done with out issues. I do believe its an excellent finish. Thye hard chrome that was removed or nitrided over has not been an issue at all. I would not do a chrome lined barrel at all. It has to effect accuracy if the chrome is removed and nitrided because in most all cases the chrome is thicker than Melonite.

I have also had numerous pistols done with great results.

Two precision Rock Creek rifle barrels as well. One 308 and one .22cal. The finish is awsome and wears like no other. I clean my stick now about every 500 rounds and after Im done I ask my self why? Guess I just feel quilty because I was told that you have to always clean your rifle. Patches come out super clean!

Have a few stainless AR barrels heading that way as well.

So called "TAN" still needs to be tested more as a lot about its characteristics are curently unknown.

Its a great finish with many benifits.