PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Barrel Care

sgthendo
09-16-11, 13:15
Just got a new Noveske N4. Noveske mentions their recommended cleanig process on their web page, which includes use of the KG line of products, (KG-1, followed by KG-2, 3, and 4). My question is this; since my barrel is chrome lined, would I be better served by using KG-12 instead of KG-2? I'm guessing I shouldn't need the bore polishing effect that KG-2 provides, just copper removal.

Thoughts?

I'm also not planning on doing any barrel break-in, just a good cleaning before I run any rounds through the barrel.

John_Burns
09-16-11, 14:21
Should not be much if any copper in your new barrel.

I would use the manufactures recommended procedure. A little polishing sure won’t hurt the barrel.

KG-12 is my favorite copper remover but it doesn’t do much for powder fouling.

polydeuces
09-16-11, 17:23
Have you shot it yet? You may be seriously over-thinking this whole thing. I'ts an N4 barrel, not a sniper rifle precision rig.
Simple cleaning just to remove any debris or residue or whatever that might for some weird reason be trapped in there would be OK, other than that shoot the friggin' thing until it's good and dirty.

Just my $0.02

GermanSynergy
09-16-11, 18:34
I got a Noveske N4 a few years back and I just ran a bore snake thru the bore, lubed it up and hit the range. Accuracy was just fine, as was function.

I'm sure that makes me a horrible person. :o

Skang
09-16-11, 20:30
I cleaned mine with WeaponShield and starting to shoot.

shootist~
09-16-11, 20:39
KG-2 keeps the copper knocked down. You don't need the KG-12 copper remover; or certainly not on a regular basis. I use the 1,2,3 & 4 after about the fifth range trip (stainless and CL) - it does not take much cleaning.

ucrt
09-16-11, 23:10

I cleaned my N4 barrel for the first time after 160 rounds...just because...

I plan on cleaning it the second time when the accuracy drops off. I am at 3100+ rounds right now with nothing down the barrel but "boolettes". Just a little KG4 on the bolt every now and then without a single malfunction.

Great gun...just shoot it!

But maybe it's just me...

T-Dot
10-07-11, 23:01
I'm going to have to agree with the train of thought that says not to worry about it too much.

With my Noveske I was worried about what kind of break-in I would have to do and getting all the expensive KG cleaner. Turns out, there is no break in needed for quality rifles like Noveske's, and though I'm glad I have to KG cleaner, you won't have to use it often enough to stress about having any special KG stuff. That especially applies to the chrome lined barrels.

N4-aacuser
10-08-11, 13:49
I got a Noveske N4 a few years back and I just ran a bore snake thru the bore, lubed it up and hit the range. Accuracy was just fine, as was function.

I'm sure that makes me a horrible person. :o

i also have an n4 ...i do the same exact process...shoot it-run the bore snake-lube it-and repeat the process ...accuracy is great....but i think its time for me to do a really good cleaning.....DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THAT BARREL FOAM STUFF IS OK TO USE ON CHROME BARRELS? (I THINK GUN SLICK MAKES THE CLEANER)....

T-Dot
10-08-11, 18:09
i also have an n4 ...i do the same exact process...shoot it-run the bore snake-lube it-and repeat the process ...accuracy is great....but i think its time for me to do a really good cleaning.....DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THAT BARREL FOAM STUFF IS OK TO USE ON CHROME BARRELS? (I THINK GUN SLICK MAKES THE CLEANER)....

As far as I know, you should have no problems with any kind of cleaner as long you don't leave it sitting for too long. I wouldn't use any really abrasive stuff too often, though. But yeah, with the double-thick chrome, I imagine it would be a pretty tall order to do any damage there.

Tiny86
10-08-11, 20:33
I'm at 4500 rounds through my N4. I have only punched the barrel three times, and copper solved it twice. No issues yet. I have been shooting alot of wolf and am seeing how far I can go with just a lube and go. I made it through a 1000 rounds no problems. So I think I might try 1500-2000 next. we will see.

Run that gun and have some fun!

polydeuces
10-09-11, 08:52
what kind of accuracy are you getting with Wolf?
Having limited funds and wanting to shoot as much as possible, its what I use too mostly for range-fodder.

Tiny86
10-09-11, 23:03
When I lay out and try I can put touching groups on target out to 50 yards. (around a dime size for 3-5 shots with a T-1) Haven't shot any wolf past 50 yards yet. But have yet to have any issues with it other then a random flyer every now and then.

Javelin
10-09-11, 23:10
I clean my firearms after each range session. Something about putting away a dirty firearm makes me feel like a slob.

T-Dot
10-10-11, 16:10
I clean my firearms after each range session. Something about putting away a dirty firearm makes me feel like a slob.

I used to be the exact same way, until I read (somewhere on this site I think...) that my over cleaning might actually do more wear and tear on my rifle than if I never cleaned it at all. Now I just keep it well lubed and wipe it down when I'm done. Especialy with a new rifle it's hard to let go...

Littlelebowski
10-10-11, 16:14
Do not polish. Do shoot. Clean when accuracy drops off. It's not a quarter MOA sniper rifle.