PDA

View Full Version : The Horror...The Horror...

SteyrAUG
09-16-11, 17:58
I've seen WWI / WWII firearms that got "sporterized" in my time and it's sad. But this is absolutely frightening.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=249640033

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/249640000/249640033/pix215183368.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/249640000/249640033/pix647068352.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/249640000/249640033/pix085863220.jpg

I suppose I should be thankful they only dicked up a .270 and not a 30.06, but I still want to cry. This might be worse than the early WWI vintage GI WWII capture Luger that got hard chromed in the motor pool before it was brought back to the states.

kaiservontexas
09-16-11, 18:06
The ruined a Johnson rifle? :suicide:

Scoby
09-16-11, 18:23
I don't know how that thing would be attactive to anyone.

Nice birch stock though. :D

Army Chief
09-16-11, 18:30
Granted, I've got a sporterized G.33/40 (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=197342&postcount=21) myself, but I would never have imagined that someone would put a Johnson rifle/M1941 through this. That's just bizarre.

AC

GermanSynergy
09-16-11, 18:32
This is why we can't have nice things.

Mauser KAR98K
09-16-11, 19:08
Mother of God! The Historian in me is crying loudly.

Some Marine is rolling in his grave.

Suwannee Tim
09-17-11, 07:34
Bid on the damned thing Steyr, the auction closes in a few minutes!

The_War_Wagon
09-17-11, 07:51
I now know why you humans cry... :cray:

http://youtu.be/PAHTsoYfskw

Army Chief
09-17-11, 07:51
I guess we have to keep in mind here that, at the time this rifle was modified, there probably wasn't a lot of historical or sentimental interest in war arms. This thing surely doesn't conform to my tastes, but if we were going to try to be objective about it, the quality of the work seems to be fairly high. Garish by modern standards, but reasonably well-executed.

AC

Suwannee Tim
09-17-11, 09:21
You missed out son! Why didn't you bid?

Not to worry. It's back. (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=251706819)

Suwannee Tim
09-17-11, 09:57
I guess we have to keep in mind here that, at the time this rifle was modified, there probably wasn't a lot of historical or sentimental interest in war arms........
AC

When I was a youngster there was a Woolco department store in the neighborhood that had a couple of fiber drums of rifles, Mausers, SIGs, Arisakas, Argentines, Enfields, even an 03A3 which I bought, my first high power rifle. I hated it because I couldn't afford the shiny new Winchesters and Remingtons so I had to buy out of the drums. I wish I had known.

5pins
09-17-11, 11:49
Was this a civilian model or did the military have some in .270?

SteyrAUG
09-17-11, 11:56
Was this a civilian model or did the military have some in .270?

I think both the Johnson and Garand had early .270 designs for some reason. I think all Johnsons were intended for the military.

warpigM-4
09-17-11, 12:33
well at least They didn't Put some tapco Crap on It :D Not My taste But they did do a good job on the wood work I think we all have seen worst.I remember as a Kid a a friend of Mine dad had a captured Luger That he chromed or something I thought it was cool then but looking back It makes me want to Puke

SteyrAUG
09-17-11, 16:13
I remember as a Kid a a friend of Mine dad had a captured Luger That he chromed or something I thought it was cool then but looking back It makes me want to Puke

You have no idea how common that is. Ironically, they now have something of a collectible status as "GI art" and are a strong indicator of a true battlefield capture.

I think there was a common belief that the chrome plating made them more reliable in harsh environments and GI's who chose to employ Lugers for whatever reason seem to have bought into that notion.

And as much as it makes me cringe whenever I see one, at the same time the aged chrome does have an element of character to it. Especially if you have an example with dark wood grips that seem almost black, that dull old chrome almost makes for an attractive firearm. Add in the typical "I captured this one in Bastogne" story and it's almost enough to make me want to collect them.

Belmont31R
09-17-11, 16:23
I think both the Johnson and Garand had early .270 designs for some reason. I think all Johnsons were intended for the military.

The initial trials of the Garand was with the .276 Pederson caliber. After the initial tests and a rework of the design to handle a .30 caliber round MacArthur ordered all future tests to be with .30 caliber Garands. Later on I think it was the Sec of the Army ordered all tests to be in .30 caliber. The reasoning was they already had tons of 30-06 rounds in storage and switching to a new round would leave them having to play catch up with storage numbers.

I think the intermediate .270ish caliber was what the Brits wanted after WW2 as well but the 7.62 NATO was what became standardized, and then later on the 5.56 NATO.

Suwannee Tim
09-17-11, 16:58
......I think the intermediate .270ish caliber was what the Brits wanted after WW2 as well but the 7.62 NATO was what became standardized, and then later on the 5.56 NATO.

That was the .280 British developed beginning in 1945 for the EM-2 rifle, the 7mm BR is a very similar cartridge. The US rejected this cartridge because we loved 30 caliber and made them accept the 7.62. We then converted to 5.56.

Belmont31R
09-17-11, 17:05
That was the .280 British developed beginning in 1945 for the EM-2 rifle, the 7mm BR is a very similar cartridge. The US rejected this cartridge because we loved 30 caliber and made them accept the 7.62. We then converted to 5.56.

Funny how that worked out too....The M14 was the second shortest time in service general issue rifle we ever procured, and then went to 5.56 with the M16. When the Brits went to the 5.56 the SA80's were full of fail and all had to be sent to the Germans to get fixed.

Suwannee Tim
09-17-11, 18:54
We really screwed the Brits on these rifle and caliber changes. Good thing they have stiff upper lips. They need 'em being allied to us.

5pins
09-18-11, 11:35
It would appear that this was a commercial sportier version and was never a military rifle.

http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/Johsportman.jpg

warpigM-4
09-18-11, 15:46
Man I learn something New Here everyday .I didnt know that about being looked at as GI art But it makes sense .I can still remember Him pointing to the eagle over the swastika and of a story of taking it off a German that surrendered .I was to young to really remember the details But it make me wonder what happened to it.

You have no idea how common that is. Ironically, they now have something of a collectible status as "GI art" and are a strong indicator of a true battlefield capture.

I think there was a common belief that the chrome plating made them more reliable in harsh environments and GI's who chose to employ Lugers for whatever reason seem to have bought into that notion.

And as much as it makes me cringe whenever I see one, at the same time the aged chrome does have an element of character to it. Especially if you have an example with dark wood grips that seem almost black, that dull old chrome almost makes for an attractive firearm. Add in the typical "I captured this one in Bastogne" story and it's almost enough to make me want to collect them.

SteyrAUG
09-18-11, 16:12
Man I learn something New Here everyday .I didnt know that about being looked at as GI art But it makes sense .I can still remember Him pointing to the eagle over the swastika and of a story of taking it off a German that surrendered .I was to young to really remember the details But it make me wonder what happened to it.

Yeah, 20 years ago they were just ****ed up Lugers. Same as notches on a 1911 or initials / unit numbers carved on the frame or grips were once considered defects. When I was a kid in the 1970s I recall seeing a 1911 that had the airborne eagle hand carved into the grips and everyone passed on it because it was monkeyed with. It was being offered for about $325 with no takers.

warpigM-4
09-18-11, 20:27
God I bet that same 1911 today would bring thousands ,Just like the Lugers .to have something that a Soldier did on his down time in a fox hole or in the Jungles of the Pacific is a piece of History I would Love to own .