PDA

View Full Version : m&P 40c night site install ?'s

sourkraut
09-16-11, 20:22
are you guys installing these you selves or having someone do them for you? I was looking at the tools but no one has them instock and then was told the reason why was cause of how tight they are?? no local shops will tackle this for me other than one and they said they would send it to s&w cause they use a hydraulic press. no thanks I can save myself the middle man fee and ship myself??
any ways, any info or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

PD Sgt.
09-16-11, 23:24
I have replaced the sights on 4 of mine, and have never had a problem getting them out with a brass punch or delrin rod.

I have heard about the hydraulic press, and read several accounts of people having difficulty moving the sights at all. I know when I took the armorers course we were just told to use a punch and hammer.

I am sure that Smith or any of the other companies that do sight installation could put new sights in for you, and you only need to ship the slide. Personally, I would give it a go myself, if they don't come out, stop before something breaks/gets marred and you can send it out then.

deadly0311
09-17-11, 00:20
To remove the sights, take a brass punch and a hammer. Both the front and rear sight will come off going "Left to Right" and going back on "Right to Left"

Make sure you put the slide on some surface that is not going to give so it transfers that strike into the sight. Once you get it going, be careful with the rear sight when you get close to getting it off. The striker blocker plunger is under there, there is a plate, spring and the plunger. They arent going to go flying but try and slide your thumb over that to catch it.

D.O.A.F.S.
09-17-11, 01:43
"sourkraut" Where are you located, I have the site tool and can help you for free? I live in the York, PA area. PM if your close.

sourkraut
09-17-11, 07:06
"sourkraut" Where are you located, I have the site tool and can help you for free? I live in the York, PA area. PM if your close.

Thank you for offer! Directly north, supposedly the "sweetest place on earth". Not so much after last week! I will give it a shot first with a hammer and punch and let you know how I make out.
Thanks you guys for the help. One more question though. I have seen mention of the capsule breaking? I would not think so but like to measure twice cut once!

sourkraut
11-23-11, 22:21
went with the yellow trijicon hd sights on my 40c. I had used a brass punch, simple! thanks