PDA

View Full Version : difference between sleep systems

moonshot
09-16-11, 21:22
Good to see M4C is back up.

I've used the woodland camo USGI modular sleep system - great setup, but a little heavy. I have an opportunity to pick up the newer urban camo 5 piece MSS. Anyone have input as to what improvements the new MSS has over the older system? Both systems have the same temperature rating. The camo is different, the bag colors are different, and there is a 2nd smaller carry sack for single bag/bivvy carry. None of that really matters to me. What's the advantage, if any, to the newer system? Thanks.

Iraq Ninja
09-16-11, 23:00
Not sure what you mean by Urban Camo. Do the mean the new issued kit in UCP? Basically, I don't think there are much improvements, and the camo is a step backward.

Weight is one consideration, but bulk is another. Personally, if you don't mind the price, the Kifaru system is my first choice.

The new Guardian sleep system is well designed, but they don't list the weight or packed size.

The Kifaru stuff sacks are a big improvement over the old school sack that is still part of the mil issued kit.

I have the issued kit and a set of the Wiggys stuff. Wiggys is a bit better in quality than the issued bag, but just as bulky. Wiggys doesn't seem to loose its loft as much as the other bags.

Center zip bags are becoming fashionable again for many reasons.

kest_01
09-17-11, 00:19
Having been issued both there really isn't a difference between the 2 besides in the UCP kit you get an extra stuff sack, they are still kinda heavy,if you're not bound to using issue kit there are lighter options available on the civy market. http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/images/products/detail/Recon4CFullss.jpg

My last deployment to the mountains of E Kunar this worked for me, light, packs small and keeps you warm

kest_01
09-17-11, 00:56
Having been issued both there really isn't a difference between the 2 besides in the UCP kit you get an extra stuff sack, they are still kinda heavy,if you're not bound to using issue kit there are lighter options available on the civy market. http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/images/products/detail/Recon4CFullss.jpg

My last deployment to the mountains of E Kunar this worked for me, light, packs small and keeps you warm

kest_01
09-17-11, 02:32

moonshot
09-18-11, 10:03
That Guardian System looks like a huge improvement over the USGI MSS, but I can't find a price anywhere. I'll try calling them next week. It looks expensive - far more so than the MSS I have or the new (gently used) one I can get.

A Woobie is on my short list of wants as well, but it too is a lot of money for a limited use item - not sure what it will do that I can't already do with my patrol bag / bivvy or existing poncho.

I'm looking for an affordable system to be part of my get home kit I keep in my car. I have four days of supplies, and while I would hope to be able to drive home, I may have to abandon my car and hike.

I wanted one system to keep me warm and dry whether the temps are in the 50's or a little below zero, rain or snow.