PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for builders looking for upper receivers to go with LMT lowers

Waylander
09-16-11, 22:28
If you're looking to build an upper for an LMT lower, Barrett sells LMT upper receiver assemblies with their logo. If you're one of those concerned about upper/lower finish matching but can't find anyone with stripped LMT upper receivers, this may be your ticket. At $90 they're a good deal.

http://www.barrettrifles.com/Store/product/Barrett-Marked-M468-Upper,1133,62.htm

Belmont31R
09-16-11, 22:46
Anodizing is more art than science, and shade & finish will vary between lots.

One of the reasons tan anodized stuff has been slow to market is the variation in colors other than black is more pronounced.

Waylander
09-17-11, 00:57
Anodizing is more art than science, and shade & finish will vary between lots.

One of the reasons tan anodized stuff has been slow to market is the variation in colors other than black is more pronounced.

But generally LMT, Colt, and such have a lighter almost dark grey finish usually far different than the black hard coat type 3 anodizing of Daniel Defense and others.
I bought a Barrett and it didn't come close to matching my DD lower but it was closer to my Colt as it would be an LMT. A lower made by LMT and an upper made by LMT even though Barrett puts their stamp on them should still match closely.

MikeCLeonard
09-17-11, 01:57
I've owned a lot of different uppers and lowers from various companies...Noveske, CMT, CMMG, Bushmaster, Colt, LMT, DD, and Hk.

For perfect color matching...It's a crap shoot even among the same manufacturer...IMHO.

With that said, they have all been pretty darn close to matching.

Iraqgunz
09-17-11, 11:13
I suppose it's important for people who care about the whole fit and finish thing. Probably less so for those who simply shoot and want an effective and quality weapon.

SpaceWrangler
09-17-11, 12:49
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one for my .300 AAC BLK upper build. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Stretch67/Fun/thumbs.gif

Waylander
09-17-11, 14:21
1. They're LMT
2. They're $90

Fit and finish may not matter to some of you and that's fine. I was afraid this shit storm of fit/finish would start just from me posting a tip to people looking for high quality low cost parts. If I buy a new truck I damn sure want the fenders to fit and match the body color but that's just me.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk

cvx5832
09-17-11, 14:35
1. They're LMT
2. They're $90

Fit and finish may not matter to some of you and that's fine. I was afraid this shit storm of fit/finish would start just from me posting a tip to people looking for high quality low cost parts. If I buy a new truck I damn sure want the fenders to fit and match the body color but that's just me.

I agree with you. I don't believe fit & finish vs an effective and quality weapon are mutually exclusive. You can certainly have both.

Belmont31R
09-17-11, 14:40
1. They're LMT
2. They're $90

If you wanted perfectly matching shades AR's would cost a lot more because anodizing does not come out the same each time. Yes places like Colt are pretty consistent but they have had various shades over the years. My first AR was a Colt I bought in 2005, and the color is quite a bit different than whats being sent out today.

And its not paint where everything is done at once. They do batches and sometimes the shade between stuff can be a little different. It in no way effects the performance of the gun or is something I want to pay extra for. If you do then there a few places who sell matched sets at a premium.

Waylander
09-17-11, 16:15
If you wanted perfectly matching shades AR's would cost a lot more because anodizing does not come out the same each time. Yes places like Colt are pretty consistent but they have had various shades over the years. My first AR was a Colt I bought in 2005, and the color is quite a bit different than whats being sent out today.

And its not paint where everything is done at once. They do batches and sometimes the shade between stuff can be a little different. It in no way effects the performance of the gun or is something I want to pay extra for. If you do then there a few places who sell matched sets at a premium.

Nobody said anything about perfectly matching shades. I know DD uses hardcoat type 3 anodizing as do CMT and BCM I believe. I don't know what anodizing process Colt or LMT uses but it is different. Even slight shading differences between DD, BCM, and CMT batches I don't think anyone is complaining about microscopic differences.

I bought a DD lower and a CMT upper receiver from BCM and they match closely enough. Is it close enough to hold up under a friggin' microscope, I don't care. It does not fit tight enough I have to drive my pins out with a punch. There is a little wiggle but I don't care!

I was building another upper and found the Barrett. I didn't realize until I got it it was way lighter than the deep black DD lower and I don't want mating parts that mismatch that badly. Maybe you're OK with it. That's why I prefaced my post with "FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO CARE ABOUT FINISHES.". A lot of people wouldn't put a DD upper on an LMT lower but that's their decision not yours. I know m4c doesn't want to give off the impression that finish/fit affects the function of the weapon is why we have to have these lengthy discussions getting chastised for what we want and I'm not entirely directing that toward you just the general attitude of the sponsors/admins.

FWIW I never brought up fit which is what I think you're referring to as paying more for. The upper is $90.

Jwalker
09-17-11, 19:25
I agree with you. I don't believe fit & finish vs an effective and quality weapon are mutually exclusive. You can certainly have both.Me too - as long as there's no function compromise, I'd rather it match and fit right.

Belmont31R
09-17-11, 19:32
Me too - as long as there's no function compromise, I'd rather it match and fit right.

But then you're creating a circumstantial criteria no manufacturer can meet.

Granted I think a grey lower with a dark black upper would look a bit funky I don't think you'll see that type of deviation on a modern quality AR from a a respected brand.

As far as fit the AR was designed as an item that is able to be broken down in the field. If you need tools to take the pins out that is not an acceptable fit. These are supposed to be military grade arms to be user friendly to the general issue soldier not custom fit high dollar guns with blue printed fit.

There is a standard of fit with feeler gauges. I think Grant knows the exact go/no go standards but just saying in general a little bit of slop is supposed to be a feature not a sign of lack of quality.

Waylander
09-17-11, 19:41

Granted I think a grey lower with a dark black upper would look a bit funky I don't think you'll see that type of deviation on a modern quality AR from a a respected brand.

As far as fit the AR was designed as an item that is able to be broken down in the field. If you need tools to take the pins out that is not an acceptable fit. These are supposed to be military grade arms to be user friendly to the general issue soldier not custom fit high dollar guns with blue printed fit.

There is a standard of fit with feeler gauges. I think Grant knows the exact go/no go standards but just saying in general a little bit of slop is supposed to be a feature not a sign of lack of quality.

"Fit right" to me IS having a little play. There are the ones that think you shouldn't be able to pass a feeler gauge between them but no one on this thread has said that. Why does this same old tired argument keep coming up? You're perpetuating a problem that no one is complaining about. I wouldn't want a half inch play back and forth though.

Mega, Rainier, Noveske, and probably several others sell matched sets. Maybe you see that as them capitalizing on "fit paranoia" but from reputable companies I don't see a problem with it.

johnson
09-17-11, 19:55
I've had uppers and lowers that had no play but the pins were still easily removed by finger pressure. I did not measure with feeler gauges but i'd say it was under .003".

That's a good price for an LMT upper.

Jwalker
09-18-11, 07:13
Belmont31R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
Me too - as long as there's no function compromise, I'd rather it match and fit right.

Can you explain what you mean, please? My "function compromise" comment was to address a group of people who seem to disdain complete (or in this case "matching") finishes in favor of "function." I have nothing against function, but I've read people post that even missing finish should be ignored as long as everything works. I disagree - I've paid for a finish, and I'm willing to pay for one that matches, too. Am I misunderstanding something?