PDA

View Full Version : USGI MAGS IN -COMPLETE FEED?

BOOMER72
09-17-11, 09:01
i am having an issue with 2 known usmc issue mags not stripping the last 2 rounds from the mag. These are mid 90's manufacture and have the black followers,they were new in pack and worked in a previous ar. now trying to use them in a DD M4V5 and only getting 28 of 30 out of them. Pmags work great. is it the follower or springs and if so is it worth rebuilding them and if so where or what to buy? thanks in advance

kcmo83
09-17-11, 09:28
It does seem odd that they would work in one weapon and not the other. There could be slight tolerance differences from one rifle to the next (mag catch location, etc...), causing the issue. That's why it's always good to vet your equipment with the rifle you are using.

Either way, the generally recommended course of action would to be to change out the black follower with a Magpul gen III. follower (here (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-Enhanced-Follower-p/mag110%20follower.htm)). If the mags were new in the package, the springs are probably okay to continue using. Troubleshooting-wise, if the follower change doesn't help, then look at springs, and, if still not working, then I would personally just ditch the mags and use whatever is already working in the gun.

EzGoingKev
09-17-11, 09:28
The black followers were replaced with the green follower years ago. The green follower was recently replaced with the tan follower.

Some people say the black/green/tan followers work fine for them. Some people say they have problems with the black/green/tan followers.

I do not see anyone saying they have problems with the Magpul follower.

My advice would be to swap the followers out for Magpul followers.

Quiet-Matt
09-17-11, 09:52
If all you nees is a few followers, try Aim. Free shipping on the small stuff usually...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XMAG110FolGrn&name=Magpul+Gen+III+Enhanced+Self+Leveling+Follower+3-Pack+Foliage+Green&groupid=63

steelonsteel
09-17-11, 10:36
I think I've got 6 or so GREEN followers around here somewhere, if someone needed them.

The magpul followers would be the best bet for you though. If you received the mags as "surplus", then I would also change the springs too.

If that doesn't work, then you can put those new follower/spring combos in your other mags and ditch the faulty bodies.

Keep us informed as to what does and/or doesn't work.

Iraqgunz
09-17-11, 17:28
Just a thought. When I was working in the armory environment with new and used M4 magazines I had taken two new magazines and ripped the springs out. I then spray painted them bright yellow.

If someone came in and the spring was suspect then I would strip the magazine and compare springs. If the spring was noticeably shorter then the magazine was trashed or put in a training bin.

Realistically speaking rebuilding mags makes very little sense unless you live in a ban state. Now if this was Clinton AWB days then I would say by all means fix em up.

Belmont31R
09-17-11, 17:31
With the price of magazines right now I would just ditch any that didn't work. They are disposable items not to be held onto and coveted.

brushy bill
09-17-11, 18:06
My advice would be to swap the followers out for Magpul followers.

plus 1

Bushytale
09-17-11, 18:46
From what you are experiencing, the last 2 rounds only being the issue, I would check to see if the follower is moving smoothly and easily to the top of the mag. I have seen mags that were tight at the top not allowing the follower to move fast enough to keep up with the bolt carrier assembly, or not be able to move to the very top of the mag at all. The fact that they worked good in one and not your other could be a difference in bolt carrier velocity.
I do however always invest in magpul followers for GI aluminum mags.

Bushytale
09-17-11, 18:58
just out of curiosity, which manufacturer are they?

Guns-up.50
09-17-11, 22:03
i am having an issue with 2 known usmc issue mags not stripping the last 2 rounds from the mag. These are mid 90's manufacture and have the black followers,they were new in pack and worked in a previous ar. now trying to use them in a DD M4V5 and only getting 28 of 30 out of them. Pmags work great. is it the follower or springs and if so is it worth rebuilding them and if so where or what to buy? thanks in advance

I agree switch the followers to magpul but, not being a smart ass but try down loading to 28 rounds this may just fix your problem:D plus its just good practice i only use gi mags and have always dowloaded 2 it helps talk the pressure off the spring and it makes it easier to load in the gun.

BOOMER72
09-17-11, 22:04
Labelle mags.

Sgt_Gold
09-23-11, 10:22
Upgrading the followers is always a god idea. Remember that springs are weakest at their maximum extension, so if the springs are going bad it will most likely show up as malfunctions with the last few rounds of the magazine.