PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE/CTR Cheek Riser Compatibility

Flava0ne
09-17-11, 20:21
Can someone please confirm with me if the Magpul MOE/CTR Cheek Risers are compatible with the UBR Stock?

Because I came across this photo of a SIG Sauer 556 that has a Magpul UBR stock installed with one of Magpul's cheek risers:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8124/556ubr.png

And if they are compatible with the UBR's, why isn't that mentioned anywhere?

ApacheTactical
09-17-11, 21:03
If you look on Magpul's website at the UBR stack you can see a cut grove on each side of the cheek weld that look like the cheek riser would snap into. It's really hard to say if it would line up or not. But sine you have a picture of them both together I would say it must be possble.

Flava0ne
09-18-11, 05:47
Yeah I figured that they would be compatible because I have a UBR stock. I just wanted a confirmation for sure so that I can pick up a cheek riser, thanks! :D

Spahr0311B
09-18-11, 06:20
If I am stating the obvious I apologize.

I just wanted to make sure that the OP realizes that the Sig 556 doesn't have a rear charging handle. If you are wanting to put that cheek riser on a UBR that is mounted on a traditional AR style rifle, you're not going to be able to charge the weapon.

If you are planning on mounting it on a Sig 556, rock and roll.

Flava0ne
09-18-11, 07:19
Yes, I have my UBR on a SIG 556 and not a traditional AR. So there won't be any issues, unless the cheek riser isn't compatible. Because if it is, I don't know why Magpul wouldn't mention it.

ForTehNguyen
09-18-11, 08:57
i thought i read somewhere if you used it on an UBR, you wouldnt be able to use the charging handle on an AR

Dionysusigma
09-18-11, 09:13
That'd be post #4 :D

Flava0ne
10-03-11, 15:25
Well, I ended up ordering the Magpul 0.5-inch Cheek Riser (just like the one in the photo that I originally posted) and I just received it today. However to my disappointment, it doesn't fit at all on my UBR Stock. :(

The portion on the cheek riser where they clip onto the MOE/CTR stocks are too short to clip onto the cheek weld of the UBR. I'll probably just dremel out some of the interior of the cheek riser so the clips will catch.

So I guess that's why Magpul doesn't mention anywhere that they're compatible.

MistWolf
10-03-11, 16:12
Before modifying anything, contact MagPull for the full story. I would also suggest modifying the cheaper part

Flava0ne
10-03-11, 16:47
Before modifying anything, contact MagPull for the full story. I would also suggest modifying the cheaper part

The cheek riser only cost me around $40.00 shipped and it's the cheek riser that I'm planning on modifying, not my UBR stock.

I found that photo a really long time ago, 2008/2009'ish if I'm correct. And I've been noticing that the first line of UBR's that Magpul released have the indents on the cheek weld a little higher than on their latest released UBR's, which is the one that I have.

Here's a photo that I found around the same time I found that photo of the SIG 556 with a UBR and cheek riser. The cheek weld on these one's actually look like they would be compatible with the cheek risers:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/357/magpulubrutilitybattler.png

And here's a photo of the one that I have, the latest one's with the wider cheek welds:

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/ubr_small.jpg

Because now that I have it in my hands, I can say that the cheek risers would totally be compatible with their older UBR's because that's exactly where the clips stop on my UBR.

EDIT: I think that those were probably preproduction UBR's. If I could find someone who has one and is willing to trade for my wider cheek weld then that would save me from doing any modifications to my cheek riser.

tkki1230
10-03-11, 23:28
When the UBR's were first issued, they came with TWO cheek pieces, a skinny one, and a thick one. The skinny cheek piece is the one that you need to fit the CTR riser. But because no one used the skinny one, Magpul stopped making them. I tried to find the answers for this problem a while back, and I contacted Magpul. This info comes straight from Magpul Customer Service.

What you need is to find one of the original skinny cheek pieces.

But, if you could dremel the CTR riser to fit the current UBR, that would be awesome.

Flava0ne
10-22-11, 07:32
I wasn't able to find anyone who had a spare UBR slim cheek piece that would've been willing to sell me it, so I ended up getting the airsoft PTS UBR version which still comes with it. I then kept the slim cheek piece for my UBR and sold the rest of the airsoft PTS version for some cash back. Now my cheek riser fits like a glove on my UBR! :D

viperashes
10-22-11, 10:00
Along with FlavaOne's mod for the UBR for the cheek riser to fit, using the LaRue RISR will allow someone do do this mod to an AR and still have full charging handle functionality. They're about 60 bucks on their website, but well worth it.

I was going to go with the Magpul cheek riser but concidering that it would have been a pain in the ass to charge my weapon with my short LOP I set my stock at (MOE, not UBR), and the impossibility to charge the weapon with the MOE cheek riser on a UBR stock, I went with the LaRue product which is far supperior in terms of functionality. Also, it screws on rather than clipping on to the stock.

Flava0ne
10-22-11, 12:55
I have the UBR mounted on my SIG556R through an AR stock adapter from Double Diamond Supply, so charging my weapon isn't an issue with the cheek riser installed. I agree that the LaRue retractable cheek riser would definitely be beneficial for the MOE/CTR/UBR stocks that are mounted on a traditional AR. But didn't need it for my application in this case.

viperashes
10-23-11, 02:52
Along with FlavaOne's mod for the UBR for the cheek riser to fit, using the LaRue RISR will allow someone do do this mod to an AR and still have full charging handle functionality. They're about 60 bucks on their website, but well worth it.

I was going to go with the Magpul cheek riser but concidering that it would have been a pain in the ass to charge my weapon with my short LOP I set my stock at (MOE, not UBR), and the impossibility to charge the weapon with the MOE cheek riser on a UBR stock, I went with the LaRue product which is far supperior in terms of functionality. Also, it screws on rather than clipping on to the stock.

I have the UBR mounted on my SIG556R through an AR stock adapter from Double Diamond Supply, so charging my weapon isn't an issue with the cheek riser installed. I agree that the LaRue retractable cheek riser would definitely be beneficial for the MOE/CTR/UBR stocks that are mounted on a traditional AR. But didn't need it for my application in this case.

That's what I was getting at. I was explaining how your particular fix and a similar product were a viable option for users with a UBR stocked AR.

tkki1230
10-23-11, 14:17
I wasn't able to find anyone who had a spare UBR slim cheek piece that would've been willing to sell me it, so I ended up getting the airsoft PTS UBR version which still comes with it. I then kept the slim cheek piece for my UBR and sold the rest of the airsoft PTS version for some cash back. Now my cheek riser fits like a glove on my UBR! :D

Any chance you could post some pics?