PDA

View Full Version : Rail Attachment Method

jeepinnc
09-17-11, 22:26
In researching different rail systems, I noticed there are different attachment methods that secure the rail to the barrel nut. There is the jam nut (most popular), bolt on system used by DD, and some kinds of friction lock systems. Is there one particular attachment method that is the preferred method? One stronger than the others or weaker than others?

kmrtnsn
09-18-11, 02:13
I am kind of partial to the Picatinny rail mount system used by Vltor.

Eric D.
09-18-11, 02:34
All the attachment methods of the quality rails are pretty solid. The mounting collar on DD rails is tack welded to the rail body, LaRue's are epoxied. Both have proven themselves in real-world use. With DD lite rails there is the possibility of the rail turning or loosening the barrel nut. (The gas tube would prevent complete loosening) The LaRue system allows for no possible loosening of the barrel nut. I'm partial to the LaRue design. Centurion also has a fantastic design - both pieces of the rail are machined from a single piece of aluminum and incorporate anti-rotational tabs. If I had the extra cash, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on a Centurion.

justin_247
09-18-11, 05:42
All the attachment methods of the quality rails are pretty solid. The mounting collar on DD rails is tack welded to the rail body, LaRue's are epoxied. Both have proven themselves in real-world use. With DD lite rails there is the possibility of the rail turning or loosening the barrel nut. (The gas tube would prevent complete loosening) The LaRue system allows for no possible loosening of the barrel nut. I'm partial to the LaRue design. Centurion also has a fantastic design - both pieces of the rail are machined from a single piece of aluminum and incorporate anti-rotational tabs. If I had the extra cash, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on a Centurion.

Any quality rail that is properly installed is not going to come loose.

With a DD Lite rail, you'd first have to, by hand, use 50 ft lbs of force to get it to loosen, and then somehow break the bolt up system, and then break the gas tube. Fat chance.

If you MUST have anti-rotation tabs, the DD RIS II and DD Omega X both have them, just like the Centurion and LaRue rails.

mhanna91
09-18-11, 12:57
Can't speak for all Troy rails, but my MRF has anti-rotation tabs and locks onto the factory barrel nut via milled slots in the collar area, not tac-welded or epoxied on. If I am not mistaken, it is very much similar to the Centuron attachment method but doesn't leave your barrel nut exposed.

justin_247
09-18-11, 13:16
Can't speak for all Troy rails, but my MRF has anti-rotation tabs and locks onto the factory barrel nut via milled slots in the collar area, not tac-welded or epoxied on. If I am not mistaken, it is very much similar to the Centuron attachment method but doesn't leave your barrel nut exposed.

Indeed, the MRF rails are almost identical to the Centurion system, with anti-rotation tabs that lock against both sides of the upper receiver. It's a very solid mounting system.

I'm still skeptical about their TRX rails, though. They have anti-rotation tabs just like the MRF series, but use a bizarre mounting system. The new Samson extreme rails are very similar.

On the other hand, Troy's Alpha rails look very promising with a sturdier system, and DD's MFR rails look very sturdy and utilize a system similar to what's used on their Omega X series.